ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Oh sh1t.....Smoke! (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/674277-oh-sh1t-smoke.html)

GC8WRX 13 March 2008 07:16 PM

Oh sh1t.....Smoke!

Took my car for a spin yesterday ans she seemed fine, got in her today and after 10 mins i was sat at traffic lights and there was smoke coming out of the bonnet scoop!:eek:
I pulled over asap, opened the bonnet, and there was loads of smoke coming from drivers side. From around the air filter and turbo area, and it smelt awful!:eek:

On closer inspection my car has deveolped a ticking noise that wasnt there yesterday as well, no c.e.l though!:wonder:

Any ideas people, im currently ****ting it!:idea:

sarnyboy 13 March 2008 07:18 PM

maybe the top hose, quite common, hot anti freeze smells sort of sweet..

M444GY 13 March 2008 08:05 PM

rocker cover leaking maybe?

rbaz 13 March 2008 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by M444GY (Post 7729505)
rocker cover leaking maybe?

Just had to do my rocker cover smoked when you stop and stinks of burning oil. Shine a torch down by the air filter on to the exhaust below and you will see if it’s dry or wet. Or jack it up and look from underneath I just took the original gasket off and resealed it.
It’s a swine to get at mind :Suspiciou

j16jrf 13 March 2008 08:38 PM

the ticking noise could just be the injectors firing, just you notice it more when ur ****ting urself

bullyboy 13 March 2008 09:17 PM

Power steering leaking my seals went that smoked like hell and stunk aswell.:eek:

GC8WRX 13 March 2008 11:54 PM

Thanks for the replies people, me and my mate are looking at her tomorrow!:wonder:

Hpoefully it will be nothing serious!:thumb:

Thanks for the replies so far!!:notworthy

GC8WRX 13 March 2008 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by j16jrf (Post 7729607)
the ticking noise could just be the injectors firing, just you notice it more when ur ****ting urself

No sh1t, its amazing what you notice when your paranoid!! lol:lol1:

robby 14 March 2008 01:03 AM

1 of my small coolant hoses split and i got a lot of steam and coolant smells.

couldn't fing the split for days but the expansion tank top had white stains from the coolant

stevet350 14 March 2008 06:59 AM

i had a drive shaft gaiter go on me once (off side) it flicked grease all over the turbo and the down pipe stank like hell all scoobs tick a bit start with the easy bits and try not to stress out you will sort it m8:thumb:

GC8WRX 14 March 2008 12:41 PM

Again, thanks for the replies people!

Looks like a coolant leak to me, going to my mates garage at 3 so fingers crossed!

GC8WRX 14 March 2008 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by robby (Post 7730280)
1 of my small coolant hoses split and i got a lot of steam and coolant smells.

couldn't fing the split for days but the expansion tank top had white stains from the coolant

Bang on the money pal, but we found the leak in the first pipe we looked at, lucky or what?

Sorted now, just in time for weekend:lol1: :luxhello: :thumb:

Big thanks people:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

robby 14 March 2008 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by GC8WRX (Post 7731864)
Bang on the money pal, but we found the leak in the first pipe we looked at, lucky or what?

Sorted now, just in time for weekend:lol1: :luxhello: :thumb:

Big thanks people:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

glad to hear you got it sorted, mine was driving me nuts not being able to find a split :)

chris-RB5 14 March 2008 10:28 PM

i had the same once though my car was on fire then realised my heater matrix wasn't getting warm but you don't really notice something like that when you pooing your pants, and low and behold it was the top rad hose.