ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   spam filtering solloutions (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/674148-spam-filtering-solloutions.html)

WRX_Rich 13 March 2008 10:56 AM

spam filtering solloutions

we curently use sophos enterpise solloution but recently had an increase in spam :brickwall

is anyone else finding this with their solloution

Rich

JackClark 13 March 2008 01:29 PM

I use Gmail for home and business, yes I've seen an increase in spam but it's all in the spam folder.

darlodge 13 March 2008 01:36 PM

Clearswift appliance for us and now sudden jump in amounts of spam hitting us. Since we swapped from the software to the appliance we have seen 85% of our spam get kicked straight out. We process about 30,000 incoming messages a month (from memory) and kick about 22,000 out as spam without even telling the users. The remain few are either held because of their content, videos, zip files etc. are are valid safe messages.

Touchwood, we have not yet deleted a valid message.

Darren

Kieran_Burns 13 March 2008 01:57 PM

SurfControl is the product of choice here. I've also experience of Mailsweep.

The filtering options in the former are impressive but you need a good back-end SQL Server to manage the database.

there are peaks and troughs in the amount of spam and we are storing > 18Gb worth of e-mails for the last 9 months. This is increasing at the moment (recently peaked at 23Gb) so I suspect we are seeing the same increase as you.

WRX_Rich 13 March 2008 05:22 PM

so is your solloution letting any through ?

Sonic' 13 March 2008 07:26 PM

Surf Control as in Black Spider ?

You do know that Surf Control is no more

We tend to use Sophos for Mail, although always evaluating other options

For Exchange Server Ive lately been using the IMF Filter that is free and comes with Exchange 2003 SP2 along with Sophos Pure Message

I do have to say Ive only had about 1 or 2 spam emails get through in the last 2 years :D

Kieran_Burns 13 March 2008 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Sonic' (Post 7729407)
Surf Control as in Black Spider ?

You do know that Surf Control is no more

SurfControl was bought by Websense... so it is still going. Under another name

jono300 13 March 2008 10:54 PM

Spamililator here, still get the odd spam message slipping thru but there again it does capture around 20-30 spam mails a day from getting into my inbox which is good enough for me !!!

WRX_Rich 14 March 2008 09:10 AM

cheers guys

i think being part of the nhs we are getting hit more than most

i will look in to the IMF filters

cheers

ChrisB 14 March 2008 11:21 AM

There's a paid for plug in for IMF called IMF Tune but I've not seen that working to say how good it is.

We're trialing a customer on the Trend hosted service (InterScan Messaging Hosted Security or IMHS) at present. Nothing to install locally, you just make Trend the destination on your MX records.

Appliance wise we use SonicWall E-mail Security. Very happy with them so far after over 12 months use in house. Feb's figures were 183,811 messages as spam (94%), 10,990 good.

What we like about the Trend service and the SonicWall is they let users manage their own spam (each user gets a daily summary e-mail), so no phone calls asking for messages to be released unless they have blocked attachments.

Sonic' 14 March 2008 03:16 PM

So does Sophos Chris :)

I have only just started playing around with the IMF filter, but it is free so costs nothing to setup and try and you can download a free archive viewer to deal with and see what SPAM email gets in

Yes its incredibly basic, but not bad as an addition once you get the SCL levels right :)

darlodge 14 March 2008 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisB (Post 7730724)
There's a paid for plug in for IMF called IMF Tune but I've not seen that working to say how good it is.

We're trialing a customer on the Trend hosted service (InterScan Messaging Hosted Security or IMHS) at present. Nothing to install locally, you just make Trend the destination on your MX records.

Appliance wise we use SonicWall E-mail Security. Very happy with them so far after over 12 months use in house. Feb's figures were 183,811 messages as spam (94%), 10,990 good.

What we like about the Trend service and the SonicWall is they let users manage their own spam (each user gets a daily summary e-mail), so no phone calls asking for messages to be released unless they have blocked attachments.

So does Mimesweeper :D