ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Best way to make use of my extra SATA pls? (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/672904-best-way-to-make-use-of-my-extra-sata-pls.html)

Diesel 08 March 2008 10:39 AM

Best way to make use of my extra SATA pls?

Have two SATA HDD's on my XP PC. One is a brand new 500Gb (due to previous one failing) and awaiting my decisions to partition it etc. Current is a rather full 200Gb C: with two other partitions.

Now I have had BSOD in the past and would love to be able to have a clone of my system drive boot partion that contains only OS on this new drive so as I can recover my system when this boot drive fails (as it will) one day.

I have Norton Ghost 10 to hand but am not too sure how these recovery points work, and if it does what I think I need?

It would also make sense to make this new faster bigger HDD the 'working' disk with the boot here by making it a clone of the current boot HDD (and associated partitions). The older HDD can be power managed to be a mostly off safety archive (pics & mus) and I can also re-format the old disk to be a dynamic disk (not basic) and stripe 'em should I need to video edit on this PC.

Decisions Decisions!

Any tips guys as I read the Norton book?

Thx

jpor 08 March 2008 11:22 AM

I wasn't aware that Norton Ghost 10 supports SATA cloning.

Sonic' 08 March 2008 12:03 PM

Take a look at this

Hard Disk Manager Suite – complete system management

It looks quite good, ive got a copy just not had chance to try it yet though

Diesel 08 March 2008 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Sonic' (Post 7715601)
Take a look at this

Hard Disk Manager Suite – complete system management

It looks quite good, ive got a copy just not had chance to try it yet though

Arghhh! $49.95 and I already have Ghost!. Will check it out though . Thx guys. D

jowl 08 March 2008 10:23 PM

Data Recovery Software - File System Utilities

:thumb:

Diesel 08 March 2008 10:28 PM

"freeware":luxhello:

Thx

D

jowl 08 March 2008 10:33 PM

I use it a lot for creating images.

The biggest downfall of it is that it can't restore an image to a smaller drive/partition than you created that image from. Not sure about drive to drive.

But if you had, say a 30gb OS partition on both of your SATA drives, there would be no problem

Diesel 08 March 2008 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by jowl (Post 7717058)
I use it a lot for creating images.

The biggest downfall of it is that it can't restore an image to a smaller drive/partition than you created that image from. Not sure about drive to drive.

But if you had, say a 30gb OS partition on both of your SATA drives, there would be no problem

Just ran it but have hesitated!b Will it copy the boot sector when I copy my existing partition that contains OS and is a bootable drive? Also how ill PC then know which drive to boot from on startup?

Cheers

D

jowl 09 March 2008 01:36 PM

It will copy *everything*

Now, I *think* that you can just select a boot drive from your BIOS and it will boot.

Otherwise, you can edit the boot.ini file on you 'C:' drive

This might help

Customize Multiboot Startup Options

Diesel 09 March 2008 01:52 PM

Superstar! Was sat here waiting for your help so I can get on with it ;). D