ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   New build what am I missing.. why wont it install ? (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/672751-new-build-what-am-i-missing-why-wont-it-install.html)

pimmo2000 07 March 2008 04:12 PM

New build what am I missing.. why wont it install ?

I put this under Hardware as this is a brand new build !

It gets the blue screen, the happy colourful one when installing Vista, the mouse pointer comes up and then nothing !

If I try XP it says can not copy to the drive ???

Asus P5k premium main board Q6600 proc, only got 2GB memory in at the mo

Have tried, two different SATA drives
One IDE drvie, Sata disconnected
IDE DVD drive the new one is SATA
Removing all the external USB etc ports from the motherboard.
Thats basically it
The graphics card is 7950gt and the picture is fine
BIOS picks up all the drives and CPU is at 23 c

What have I missed ??? Please help

pimmo2000 07 March 2008 04:46 PM

it is installing but very very very very slowly ????

ChrisB 07 March 2008 04:47 PM

What's the XP message in full?

pimmo2000 07 March 2008 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisB (Post 7713755)
What's the XP message in full?

The one about the DVD might be dirty !

I can't remember to be honest.

Its at 29% of a vista install .. but its taking the piss !!

Considering the spec

chrisowe 07 March 2008 04:51 PM

Not very helpful, but I think you need to change something in the bios. Does it have a raid controller?

pimmo2000 07 March 2008 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by chrisowe (Post 7713770)
Not very helpful, but I think you need to change something in the bios. Does it have a raid controller?

Not very helpful lol

Everything in the BIOS is standard, and no Raid at all.

Seems 64 bit might be slow installing ?

Sonic' 07 March 2008 06:09 PM

No not really, 64 bit was actually very quick to install on my Laptop

Ok first things first, have you tried a different DVD drive, and also what speed did you burn the Vista image at, if it was a fast speed try reburning the image at 2x speed

bioforger 07 March 2008 06:48 PM

I had this happen once in XP, installing to an IDE drive. The XP setup seemed to be stuck in a loop trying to find installed SATA drives, which weren't attached. And it was installing but super slowly. By chance I went into the bios n disabled the SATA controller temporarily n then it flew thru the install. So in my case it was a mobo thing.

Luminous 07 March 2008 07:26 PM

I think you can discount the drives as being bad, given that you have tried 3 of them. You'd have to have my luck for 3 drives to go wrong all at once (well actually I've only managed a double failure before :D )

So in no random order:-
SATA driver - or disable entirely via mobo
BIOS update, it may need one for the bits you just happen to be using
Memtest via bootable CD
Dodgy install disc, but not likely as you have tried two (XP and Vista)
Bad IDE cable (if the drive and mobo connector support UDMA100, but you use a crappy 40 wire cable then you can get data loss as it still will likely try to run at UDMA 100)
Double check all the settings in the BIOS for memory timings, CPU timings, FSB, voltage for CPU and memory. The mobo's default settings may simply be incompatible with your kit. I know your kit should tell the mobo what it needs, but that just does not always work.

Have you tried two different DVD drives, I'm unclear from you post as you mention both an IDE and a SATA one.

Failing all the above it sounds like a hardware issue, going to have to be process of elimination to work out which bit. It could be just about anything ranging from the PSU, Mobo, CPU, memory. Try and component swap to see if that helps.

Oh, you don't have virus warning enabled in the mobo do you? That is clutching at straws really, but that can stuff things up.

pimmo2000 07 March 2008 09:43 PM

Vista took ages to install but works perfectly now !

The legit version I have makes me feel all special :notworthy

Running like a dream so far:thumb:

Luminous 08 March 2008 05:28 PM

cool, glad it all worked out in the end :)