ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   This may seem like a bizarre request... (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/672625-this-may-seem-like-a-bizarre-request.html)

little-ginge 06 March 2008 10:29 PM

This may seem like a bizarre request...

but does anyone know where I might be able to get hold of a replacement glass for a brass OIL lamp?

It's been handed down to my mum by the Welsh side of our family, but the bleddy glass has broken.

I have tried eBay but the closest one to it is in the US - and they want £40 for it!! The glass is similar to the one pictured, and would need a glass similar in shape.

It would be great if I could find a replacement for it - my mum would be dead chuffed:D

http://www.wpbstv.org/AntiqueAuctionPICS2008/1315.JPG

SwissTony 06 March 2008 10:34 PM

is the welsh side the broken bit :D

Shark Man 06 March 2008 10:36 PM

Funny you should mention that. As I have an old oil lamp - with a broken glass :mad:

Can't find a sensible replacement either(although noted some fake antique oil-lamp looking wall lights that had similar tube shaped glass in a pub I was in- but couldn't distract the staff for long enough to nick it :o ).

And to think my family originated from an area famed for glassmaking :rolleyes:

little-ginge 06 March 2008 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by SwissTony (Post 7712172)
is the welsh side the broken bit :D

:lol1: Nope just slightly cracked (in the head)

little-ginge 06 March 2008 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Shark Man (Post 7712176)
Funny you should mention that. As I have an old oil lamp - with a broken glass :mad:

Can't find a sensible replacement either(although noted some fake antique oil-lamp looking wall lights that had similar tube shaped glass in a pub I was in- but couldn't distract the staff for long enough to nick it :o ).

And to think my family originated from an area famed for glassmaking :rolleyes:

I started to read that and thought you were going to say 'i have one you can have..':mad:

do you think next time you visit said drinking establishment, you could nick 2?:D

Spoon 06 March 2008 10:50 PM

My wife can't half blow, I'll ask her what she can come up with. :thumb:

little-ginge 06 March 2008 10:52 PM

:lol1: Thanks

Shark Man 06 March 2008 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by little-ginge (Post 7712187)
I started to read that and thought you were going to say 'i have one you can have..':mad:

do you think next time you visit said drinking establishment, you could nick 2?:D

Will try. :norty:

May have to swap them for inverted pint glases so they don't immediately notice they are missing after our "swift" exit :D

daddyscoob 06 March 2008 11:00 PM

guess you're in England ? there's a guy in The Moy - Northern Ireland - and he - so I'm told has everything for everything lamp styleee - Tilley lamps are his thing is yours a Tilley ??

little-ginge 06 March 2008 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by daddyscoob (Post 7712241)
guess you're in England ? there's a guy in The Moy - Northern Ireland - and he - so I'm told has everything for everything lamp styleee - Tilley lamps are his thing is yours a Tilley ??

Aye, South East England

I don't think it's a tilley lamp (i had to google that!!) and it def. doesn't look like one of those..

perhaps it would help if i got a piccy up here of the real thing but that will have to wait until tomorrow as I seem to have lost my camera:eek: :o

Thanks for the thought though:thumb:

Sharky - I've snaffled a ceramic fluffy sheep from a pub before.. I had been drinking:o
He was glued down, so I think they may have noticed he was missing by the great big mark on the wood work:o A couple of lamp thingys will be simple - just wedge them down yer troos:D

little-ginge 06 March 2008 11:09 PM

Oo I might have found somewhere.. will need to contact them to see if they do the right one...

but keep recommendations coming, guys:thumb:

Oil lamp chimneys for Aladdin and other oil lamps

Shark Man 06 March 2008 11:21 PM

Well found :thumb:

dpb 06 March 2008 11:25 PM

Daveys

little-ginge 06 March 2008 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 7712301)
Daveys

No. It's mine:mad:

dpb 06 March 2008 11:29 PM

No really - just type it in :mad:

Davey lighting catalogue online - or thereabouts

Had one of their catalougues -25 year ago anyway :)

little-ginge 06 March 2008 11:43 PM

I was pulling your leg, Dunc:mad:

Ta btw:)

fast bloke 06 March 2008 11:53 PM

It is a Tilley lamp, and if you are really stuck the Moy guy will post the shade. He is a complete guru. Scary what you can be a guru in :D

ScoobyWon't 07 March 2008 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by little-ginge (Post 7712157)

That reminds me of the lamps from my first pub. If anyone fancies robbing the place, I would love it! It's the Willow Tree in West Bridgford, Nottingham. I seem to recall there were six similar looking items.

And when I say robbing, I dont mean telling you the safe and alarm codes :p

DCI Gene Hunt 07 March 2008 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't (Post 7712473)
That reminds me of the lamps from my first pub. If anyone fancies robbing the place, I would love it! It's the Willow Tree in West Bridgford, Nottingham. I seem to recall there were six similar looking items.

And when I say robbing, I dont mean telling you the safe and alarm codes :p

FFS Will you just go to feckin sleep? :mad:

:D

ScoobyWon't 07 March 2008 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt (Post 7712475)
FFS Will you just go to feckin sleep? :mad:

:D

Yeah.

In about 4 hours :p