ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Has anyone got anything bad to say about Draytek routers? (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/672600-has-anyone-got-anything-bad-to-say-about-draytek-routers.html)

Luminous 06 March 2008 09:22 PM

Has anyone got anything bad to say about Draytek routers?

Recently got a Netgear DG834G and it has to be one of the worst purchases made in my life. It is just totally and utterly useless, its latest "amusement" is for a nice intermittent issue that results in about 40% packet loss :mad:

So, we are thinking about getting something better, namely a Draytek. Are these as good as people say they are? What is the support like if it happens to go wrong?

mike1210 06 March 2008 09:24 PM

My 2600G was solid as a rock. Never had to use support but I suppose thats a good thing

as far as the Netgear, firmware up to date? I think some also have a problem with cooling IIRC:wonder:

Sonic' 06 March 2008 09:31 PM

Yes Draytek are good, but not cheap

Netgear arent good and are cheap :D

jpor 06 March 2008 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Luminous (Post 7711975)
Recently got a Netgear DG834G and it has to be one of the worst purchases made in my life. It is just totally and utterly useless, its latest "amusement" is for a nice intermittent issue that results in about 40% packet loss :mad:

So, we are thinking about getting something better, namely a Draytek. Are these as good as people say they are? What is the support like if it happens to go wrong?

Looks like you are in s similar situation to me a few months back. Bought a Netgear router to replace what I thought at the time a faulty D-Link router I had for 4 years. And low and behold it was a pile of steaming dog poo :( In the end after posting on here, I was advised towards the Draytek router path. Now after purchasing off Broadbandbuyer.co.uk I own a Draytek Vigor 2800 ADSL2+ security router, and no issues what so ever. Well worth the extra money for less the hassle. I have applied a couple of firmware updates to it since, and it hasn't given me an ounce of bother. The only thing I would advise, if you have crappy wireless PCI card and want the best out of the router is to purchase some 'Atheros' chipset wireless Super-G card' as the router supports this chipset the best.

Support is also good as there is a very good users forum on these routers with all the answers you'll ever need: Product Title

Luminous 06 March 2008 10:07 PM

super thanks for the info :)

I was thinking about the 2800 actually, primarily so I could fiddle with QOS and also have the printer port. The downside is that they are all out of stock atm.

Its really hard to search for one atm, I'm now up to about 70% packet loss (I reset to factory defaults and its even worse). The internet is a frustrating place atm :lol1:

boxst 06 March 2008 10:39 PM

I have a Netgear DG834N and haven't had any problems with it.

As for Draytek, I had one and it was superb. The only thing I would say is that it REALLY doesn't like BE*, which is why I have the Netgear.

Steve

mike1210 06 March 2008 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Luminous (Post 7712100)

I was thinking about the 2800 actually, primarily so I could fiddle with QOS and also have the printer port. The downside is that they are all out of stock atm.

Its really hard to search for one atm, I'm now up to about 70% packet loss (I reset to factory defaults and its even worse). The internet is a frustrating place atm :lol1:

havent seen a review but check it:

Broadbandbuyer.co.uk | Draytek Vigor 2820N Firewall VPN Wireless-N Draft 2.0 ADSL2+ Annex M Router w/ Dual WAN & 3G Support

Me mam has a Netgear 834G and it runs a treat:Suspiciou

jpor 06 March 2008 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Luminous (Post 7712100)

Not here there not:

dabs.com - Draytek Vigor 2800G ADSL2+ Router - For BT Users (V2800G)

Not sure if it's on the same price as anywhere else though.

spectrum48k 06 March 2008 10:46 PM

Luminous, I can sell you a Draytek Vigor 2930 for £75

Still boxed - ordered for work and never used.

Can accept 2 internet connections, and provide auto fail-over from one to the other if one of your internet lines goes down.

Luminous 06 March 2008 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by spectrum48k (Post 7712206)
Luminous, I can sell you a Draytek Vigor 2930 for £75

Still boxed - ordered for work and never used.

Can accept 2 internet connections, and provide auto fail-over from one to the other if one of your internet lines goes down.

I think the correct answer to that is.....yes please :)
(does your one have any wireless capability, some spec sheets are showing wireless n, others are not)

Luminous 06 March 2008 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by mike1210 (Post 7712188)
Me mam has a Netgear 834G and it runs a treat:Suspiciou

You got lucky, mine is busted :lol1:
(I always get unlucky with stuff :( )

rbaz 06 March 2008 11:59 PM

I mainly sell Netgear and Dlink stuff here in France (its what I can get hold off) and have only ever had one faulty unit due to a lightning strike :lol1: so no problems with reliability,

Sonic' 07 March 2008 12:23 AM

We sell Draytek/Vigour routers

In fact its pretty much all we install for a lot of our customers (the small ones that is :D)

We might have some in stock, I can check in the morning, but they wont be 75 quid I know that much

One thing about the Draytek's is that the wireless signal strength isnt as good as the cheap crap D-Links

Scotsman 07 March 2008 06:19 AM

Had a draytek 2600we for the past 4-5 years - great bit of kit, never faultered.

ChrisB 07 March 2008 09:18 AM

We've been trying some Billion ADSL VPN routers out in the field recently. Interface is better than the Draytek 28xx/29xx IMHO and the VPN is better - the last time I did a Vigor I thought it was a bit hit 'n' miss.

The Vigor 100 is great for plugging into a PPPoE firewall though. That's a <Ronseal> device.

pimmo2000 07 March 2008 09:57 AM

I've never seen or supported one ... so it could be they're really great or no one buys them :)

Iain Young 07 March 2008 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Luminous (Post 7712336)
You got lucky, mine is busted :lol1:
(I always get unlucky with stuff :( )

I've been using one of those Netgears for what must be getting on for a year now and mine works 100% flawlessly as well, (and I've got a reputation for breaking things - 9th xbox 360 and counting ;) )

Heard some good things about Draytek, but never actually tried one.

New_scooby_04 07 March 2008 10:18 AM

I have the Draytek Vigor 2800G.

Not the most "friendly" interface in the world, but works exceptionally well though. Lots of options and configurability for those who know what they're doing too!

ns04

Supercue 11 March 2008 02:23 PM

Draytek 2800 flagship here too.:D
I've never had to do anything but use it. I never lose my connections or spend time hitting the repair button like I do with some of the Belkinns & Netgears etc.

Draytek maybe more money but like a lot of things you get what you pay for.
Now if someone is selling Draytek top of the range 2800s for £75 I'll have a couple lol;)