ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Rattling noise under load (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/671906-rattling-noise-under-load.html)

rjstacey 03 March 2008 09:04 PM

Rattling noise under load

Hi all!
I've only had my Scoob for 3 days and I've noticed a rattle between 1.5k and 2.5-3k rpm:brickwall . It only happens under load and sounds as if its coming from the right side of the engine... Any ideas?
Cheers
Rob

Elmer Fudpucker 03 March 2008 09:08 PM

First place to look would be the turbo/exhaust heatshields

p1prodrive 03 March 2008 09:10 PM

It sounds like the bottom end

Shark Man 03 March 2008 09:14 PM

Far to vaigue to give an answer. Could be anything from a loose bracket to the hamsters protesting about not being fed!

gerbil_abusa 03 March 2008 09:15 PM

might be the rear-view mirror

rjstacey 03 March 2008 09:36 PM

Sorry should of said right side of the engine bay, might still be the engine though... :-(
If it was the bottom end would it not rattle all the time?
It does sound metalic but not like an exhaust or heatshield.

JohnD 03 March 2008 09:56 PM

Does it do it both hot and cold?

rjstacey 03 March 2008 09:57 PM

Yep

j16jrf 03 March 2008 10:11 PM

could be like mine.
i have a new type HKS induction kit which has the metal back as opposed to the rubber backed older ones. This hits the underside of the bonnet and gives a rattle noise ;)

or does it rattle with the bonnet open too? then it wouldnt be this lol.

If you have a FMIC could be the pipework hitting the bonnet too

Scoobyspanners 04 March 2008 06:42 AM

My bet would be the exhaust heat shields, i diagnosed my rattle by revving the engine with the bonnet open and the pushing down on the shield with a wood broom stick! Sound changed........ :)

rjstacey 04 March 2008 08:04 AM

It's coming from round the engine somewhere... Didn't have time to have a proper hunt, it's not so loud when warm and is a slight knocking sound!?

JohnD 04 March 2008 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by rjstacey (Post 7705023)
It's coming from round the engine somewhere... Didn't have time to have a proper hunt, it's not so loud when warm and is a slight knocking sound!?

I asked the hot/cold question as it's not uncommon for '98 cars to suffer piston slap.

JohnD

Sweepickit 04 March 2008 09:21 AM

the lower heat shield did this on my last classic. Strangely not all the time but very often. After refitting it twice I wedged some non combustable material between the shield and down pipe. Instant cure and a free fix! :thumb:

rjstacey 04 March 2008 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by JohnD (Post 7705122)
I asked the hot/cold question as it's not uncommon for '98 cars to suffer piston slap.

JohnD

I did wonder this as looking through my service history it did say something about it from one of the Services it had... Think this may be the winner...
Would this be detrimental to the engine life?
Thanks for all you help! It's one of those hings when you get a new car and start hearing all different noises! Although my 2 favourite are on boost...

j16jrf 04 March 2008 11:00 AM

not detrimental at all really unless it gets REALLY bad.

a lot of classics develop piston slap after a while. It is curable with new pistons but is not really life threatening

finalzero 04 March 2008 11:58 AM

It was the turbo heatshield on mine, removed it and no more rattling. I am probably going to get a turbo jacket or fabricate a new heatshield

lem6 04 March 2008 02:03 PM

mine had the same thing when it came on boost,..turned out the cat had broken up and the turbo was rattling at least that's they said at scoobyclinic.

rjstacey 05 March 2008 01:39 PM

It defo seems like piston slap after a bit of light reading...
Quick question though, my car was first registered in march of 98, would that still make it a MY98 or an MY97? It was ordered late in 97.
thanks!

scousefly 05 March 2008 03:56 PM

Typical site response

Originally Posted by gerbil_abusa (Post 7704408)
might be the rear-view mirror

Cant believe this user got infracted for this comment. PATHETIC:razz: