ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Would you buy a great car that you'd hardly drive? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/670974-would-you-buy-a-great-car-that-youd-hardly-drive.html)

EddScott 27 July 2012 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes (Post 10725907)

Edd - when you think about it, with a family of four, how many times does one need two cars that have at least three seats each? It might arise as some odd permutation of multi-drop requirements, but I've no interest in buying a car based on what might happen one day and prove to be a minor inconvenience. For that I'll pay a taxi fare on the day and have my toy for the rest of the year :) And the difference between this and most 2-seaters is it has incredible luggage space even with the roof down.

Fair enough :) . 2 seats would just never suit us. 2 doors is a PITA when there's more than 2 of you. I'd go RS4 Avant route.

Chip 27 July 2012 04:48 PM

Nice car Brendan, lovely colour. Glad things all worked out well for you.

Chip

Brendan Hughes 19 July 2018 05:52 PM

Still got it, still doing 2000 miles a year commuting, still happy, still married!

(Still haven't got a new kitchen! :D )

ZANY 19 July 2018 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes (Post 12019175)
Still got it, still doing 2000 miles a year commuting, still happy, still married!

(Still haven't got a new kitchen! :D )

U STAR! :notworthy

Brendan Hughes 19 July 2018 10:17 PM

https://i593.photobucket.com/albums/...pscc6520c0.jpg

hackisfun 20 July 2018 01:49 AM

Let's say u got a high spec 100k car for 60k, from the post I'm assuming the 4 year tie in is due to finance. However, if you had the cash to buy outright then there would be nothing stopping you selling straight up for fast profit. Do a remortgage get the cash borrow and bed. But the car go to new dealer spin a story family emergency etc and get a quick 80-85k cash and be sitting with nice profit. Take the risk wack the 25k in bitcoin or some other investment and hope you win big

ALi-B 20 July 2018 10:00 AM

Crikey, blast from the past! Still looks good! :thumb:

I spent that last ten years hoarding automotive junk that never really got the use or restoration they deserved.

At worst I accumulated 9 motorbikes and 5 cars. Only one of which was in daily use. Suffice to say most of it just never got used.

I whittled that down to 3 bikes and 3 cars. One is the daily driver which I've decided to keep indefinitely as nothing newer fits its niche (Mk5 VW R32). And the way things are, nothing else gets used.

Some like my Yamaha RD500 was supposed to be a mild restoration (just paint and a few bits and bobs), that never happened. Currently off the road as Ethanol has corroded up the carbs and the front calipers have spat out the seals. :(

Saddest is the S2A Lightweight Land Rover rotting in the yard at work. I intend to restore...if only I had the space!

I did have a Honda NSX, probably a mistake selling as it's has risen and risen ever since :mad: I probably have kept it if it was just that bit more powerful.

The last remaining asset is a 'new' Norton Commando 850 interstate one of the last built...12miles on the clock, in its post assembly pre-delivery spec: never registered, no acid in the battery (comes in a bottle to fill when commissioning). Rare, but not as rare as you'd think as Norton went bump after these were built and a number were 'lost' as unsold dealer stock; There is at least 20 in the world that I know of, still, 1 of 20 is pretty rare. Unfortunately it's worth far less than a NSX though.

The money gained from selling stuff went straight into the money pit (house...starting with the kitchen, then escalating) and barely scratched the surface and I still have no love for it as its a endless list of work that needs doing that costs more and more.

Moral of the story; Keep the cars/bikes, sod the kitchen! :lol1:

funkyrimpler 29 July 2018 10:41 PM

many years ago my friend was in a similar position..He had the chance to buy a 9 month old Ferrari 348. he had a well paid job but was not wealthy..The Ferrari was his dream and it meant many sacrifices, but he could stretch to it...but he could afford it..just..the spec was perfect for him..it even had the 'correct' colour seat belts....plus he knew he would never be able to buy one from a dealer at the price again, and at that price, and with a service/warranty deal thrown in...
Anyway after MUCH deliberation he decided against it..head over heart...TO THIS DAY he regrets it and mentions it on a regular basis.
A few years later he got divorced and all the money he sank into the house, his ex wife took....

Another friend bought a 993 C4S and lived on beans on toast for weeks...The final push to buy it came when a close friend of his died aged 40, and he thought 'it's now or never'..He paid £33k for it..that was about 16 years ago..The car has an agreed value of £50k now and he still uses it as a daily..He's not regretted it for a minute.

I've edited the rest of this post because i saw that you've still got the car!

I'm so glad you made the right choice!

funkyrimpler 29 July 2018 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by ukdave (Post 7695166)
I think you need a really understanding missus who`s really into cars and can appreciate the expense/sacrifice for something you really love but then would it feel a bit selfish of you from a family point of view??

Sadly this is so often true...Women are more often than not, dream stealers...usually in a passive/aggressive way...her priorities become the right priorities...So things 'for the house' are things she wants...things 'for the family' are really things she wants...
Boys usually dream of being firefighters and F1 drivers, girls dream of their wedding day and ponies..These cliches have an enormous element of truth in them..That's why on the wedding day all of her dreams come true, and his usually stop...
This is why I've never married and never joined my finances to anyone else's...It's also why I own my own house and have lots of toys and freedom.

funkyrimpler 29 July 2018 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 12019258)

Moral of the story; Keep the cars/bikes, sod the kitchen! :lol1:

yep....had a mate plunge all of his money into a new house...he sold his bikes and sports car..His daily was a diesel Fiesta...(his missus had no money to throw in)...Anyway, they bought a house off plan....got it how they wanted, furnished it, did the garden...Shortly after, their relationship fell to bits and they sold it..He took an absolute hammering on the mortgage due to an early repayment penalty...They split 50/50 which meant he got rinsed as he paid for EVERYTHING...
The car he sold was a TVR..worth much more now than he paid...

Brendan Hughes 05 March 2019 09:31 AM

Thought I'd update this today, seeing as I logged on for Pancake Day.

And the news is - we got a new kitchen! :luxhello: :luxhello: :lol:
(Well - two-thirds of one anyway! the rest will take a few more months...)

ALi-B 05 March 2019 01:35 PM

Good to know you’re still alive :p :lol1:

My update...Kitchen finally finished. That included replacing all the LED lighting and playing email tennis with JCC lighting to get them replaced on warranty after the sparky who fitted them disappeared. So on to sorting the rest of this pain in the arse money pit of a house....

Totted up the cost of sorting the rest of the house(front windows, facias, garage doors, plumbing, insulation, sound proofing, new bathrooms, redecorate bedrooms, lounge, get rid of the artex, de-moss the roof, take council to court so I can fell my TPO’d tree, gated drive entrance, kill the mice/squirrels scratching around above my bedroom ceiling at 4:00am and shoot the wood pigeons that are sh*tting everywhere etc etc..) and roughly calculated that it was going to cost £50-60k to sort properly :eek:

So I’m selling the house and bought one where all the sh*ts mostly been sorted so I can focus on the cars and bikes instead :lol1:

Should have done it ten years ago...well nearly did, but got gazumped :rolleyes:

RS_Matt 07 March 2019 09:18 PM

I only drive the Scoob twice a month ��

wrx2005 07 March 2019 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by RS_Matt (Post 12047005)
I only drive the Scoob twice a month ��

a WRX isn't a great car.
You own a crap car you hardly drive;)

RS_Matt 08 March 2019 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by wrx2005 (Post 12047019)
a WRX isn't a great car.
You own a crap car you hardly drive;)

Greatness is a point of view. I love the mpg of this 4x4, I love the longer ratios that don't see me spinning up through the gears in the damp. I love the design, heritage and legendary sound... Not to mention insane reliability!!!!