ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Would you buy a great car that you'd hardly drive? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/670974-would-you-buy-a-great-car-that-youd-hardly-drive.html)

Brendan Hughes 28 February 2008 04:22 PM

Would you buy a great car that you'd hardly drive?

And on top of that, would you stretch to your absolute financial limits to do it?

I might have the option to get 40% off list price of a brand new Porsche, the only chance I'll ever have of affording one in the next 10 years minimum. It would mean big repayments for some years, which would swallow up any chance of family holidays abroad, ski trips, and perhaps changes to the house, all of which are realistic and good improvements to my life (all values are relative). I'd also barely ever drive the thing, as I commute to work by train (option to drive is to sit in heavy traffic on a massively speed-controlled road) and at weekends most of the time if I go out we go out as a family.

Heart says yes, head says stupid.

I'm expecting SNetters to tell me to go for it, but is there anyone out there who's had a similar dilemma and has gone for the safe option?

BTW years ago I had an Impreza, and I found it an unsatisfactory compromise - too thirsty for a family car and not fun as a fun car. So no, I'm not interested in anything fast and comfy.

Snazy 28 February 2008 04:23 PM

Would it not be prudent to buy own for a year and sell, retaining some of the saving? Or would the payments eliminate that?

scoobynutta555 28 February 2008 04:26 PM

If it means sacrificing family holidays and other savings and you won't hardly driving the thing as you'll mostly be on a train then there's no point in getting one unless you make a killing when you sell it on (40% off a new Porsche, seems unbelievable). If you want a depreciation proof fun toy that won't see you living like Steptoe for several years then get an Elise ;)

gpssti4 28 February 2008 04:26 PM

I agree with you, head/heart dilema!

No, it doesn't make sense does it. It you're that desperate for a Porker, buy one you can afford with realistic repayments, even if it is second hand.

Besides; depreciation: once you've gor it there'll be no get-out as it will depreciate too much to get rid of it for a few years.

On the other hand....................... :D

Brendan Hughes 28 February 2008 04:26 PM

Snazy, no can do. Condition of the discount is that I keep it for 4 yrs minimum; sell early, have to pay back the discount.

Residual values mean I'd get most of my money back at the end, minus a few k and of course 4 yrs insurance premiums at minimum which ain't cheap. That's a bit of a safety net if it goes wrong. I was hoping not to sell it TBH.

Nat 28 February 2008 04:27 PM

I'd go for it but keep it for a long time and enjoy it when i could. It would stay more "special" that way i think. What model would you buy? Would depened on that too...if it was a Boxster or plain C2 911 it probably wouldn't be special enough maybe?

Nat 28 February 2008 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes (Post 7693734)
I was hoping not to sell it TBH.

That would be nice - knowing it's always been yours and looked after/cared for 100% as you'd want it to be...

EddScott 28 February 2008 04:29 PM

To be honest, unless the Porsche is something special like the new GT3 or Turbo then in all honesty they leave me a bit cold (993 RS aside)

However, I know how your thinking. You really shouldn't but its like now or never.

Not sure I could do it over 4 years. You might get bored after a few years and be fed up having it around whilst you all miss out on big holidays etc.

TopBanana 28 February 2008 04:30 PM

No of course not. But if I could get 40% off I'd sell it straight on.

Brendan Hughes 28 February 2008 04:34 PM

Elise is out due to the laws of physics and the loony drivers round here.

Second-hand is out due to ridiculous s/h prices here - this is a double-edged sword and why I'm so interested in the "new" one.

Nat, that's what I'm thinking, keep for ever. But it's a vanilla Boxster I'm stretching to, I don't think I could manage to afford an S :o

The dilemma is the same though, whether it's an MX-5 or a SLR; would you do it?

davegtt 28 February 2008 04:34 PM

I bought an RX7 and hardly ever drive it, infact, not driven it for nearly 2 years lol.

Finance wasnt a problem to do it though tbh. You are in a different boat

PeteBrant 28 February 2008 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by TopBanana (Post 7693751)
No of course not. But if I could get 40% off I'd sell it straight on.

This seems like the sensible opion to me. Surely its a very quick way to make some cash - Use the profit to buy a very nice Second hand car.

Even better make the profit work for you by putting it in some investment and being able to afford whatever car you like on the subsequent profits.

davegtt 28 February 2008 04:42 PM

Am I the only one whos read this post?

https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...ml#post7693734

Jay m A 28 February 2008 04:42 PM

Not sure if it is entirely relevant, but I sold my Westfield because I had £10k sitting in a garage for approx 350 days a year. Spent it on home improvements and bought the current scoob.

But I had it for a couple of years and enjoyed every mile to the extreme. Glad I did it, wore t-shirt, sold it on

v8voodoo 28 February 2008 04:42 PM

Ooh... If only someone would sell me a Cayman S at 40% off list..!! I'd have their arm off...!!

Back to th OP's question though and my answer is no. Don't do it. You can buy great cars at all different prices, just I don't think jeapordising all the holidays and house stuff is wise. Unless you fancy getting divorced..lol!!

serega 28 February 2008 04:44 PM

If you get locked in for 4 years, its a bit of a pickle - what if you find yourself in financial trouble, lots of things can happen in 4 years - you would need to sell, and that means losing a handfull of cash.

PeteBrant 28 February 2008 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes (Post 7693734)
Snazy, no can do. Condition of the discount is that I keep it for 4 yrs minimum; sell early, have to pay back the discount.

Ahh didn;t see this bit ...

Well, FWIW my flat mate had an almost new M3 convertible. He commutes to London every day on the train, so it got about 2 miles use a day, plus the odd trip at weekends - I.e. hardly used at all.

However, he absolutely loved that car and I don't think he regretted it at all. THe difference maybe that the car was "affordable" for him rather than a real stretch.

If it is tha tmuch of a struggle to get the money together I would say absolutely don't do it - You obviously have some disposable income and you can put that to much better use and get it to work for you in order to be able to buy the car without any struggle at all.

lozgti 28 February 2008 04:49 PM

I think I'd top myself thinking I was pouring all my money into exotica that would end up just as a photo in my wallet to look at on the train.

And stoney silences with the wife every night wouldn't appeal to me

astraboy 28 February 2008 04:50 PM

as its just a vanilla boxster then personally i wouldn't bother. I was in a similar situation when i bought my white 3door cosworth a few years back. But then that was a sought after limited number future classic. Can you say the same for a bottom of the range boxster?
Astraboy.

PeteBrant 28 February 2008 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by lozgti (Post 7693804)

And stoney silences with the wife every night wouldn't appeal to me

That would be simply solved by telling her to stop being a moaning old cow and when she starts paying for *my* car with *her* money, then she can have an input, until then, if she doesn't like it, she can **** off, surely.

Any other single blokes out there feel the same? :D

53 28 February 2008 04:53 PM

Would you buy a great car that you'd hardly drive?

I think I did, and buying another. :lol1:

Nat 28 February 2008 04:53 PM

How bout the new Boxster Sport edition, not much more than a plain one and lots more spec, bit more special?

Brendan Hughes 28 February 2008 04:55 PM

Thanks all.

Further info:

My wife has told me it's my decision, she isn't strongly for or against. She really wants the house sorted, but doesn't object to driving a Porsche to her ladies' lunches while I'm at work :cry: :D

Little chance of me having financial troubles in the period, as I'm public sector, fixed wage, very small chance of losing job, mortgage is linked to Euro interest rates which I don't see as very volatile.

At the same time, little chance of me making any big investment profit in the same period, I'm just not really that kind of person. Oh, and I might only have until June to take up this offer after which the window closes, perhaps forever (still being negotiated by higher powers than me).

Must say I'm quite surprised at the sensible answers so far... :)

Jay m A 28 February 2008 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by PeteBrant (Post 7693814)
That would be simply solved by telling her to stop being a moaning old cow and when she starts paying for *my* car with *her* money, then she can have an input, until then, if she doesn't like it, she can **** off, surely.

Any other single blokes out there feel the same? :D

LOL

PeteBrant 28 February 2008 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes (Post 7693823)
Thanks all.

Further info:

My wife has told me it's my decision, she isn't strongly for or against. She really wants the house sorted, but doesn't object to driving a Porsche to her ladies' lunches while I'm at work :cry: :D

Little chance of me having financial troubles in the period, as I'm public sector, fixed wage, very small chance of losing job, mortgage is linked to Euro interest rates which I don't see as very volatile.

At the same time, little chance of me making any big investment profit in the same period, I'm just not really that kind of person. Oh, and I might only have until June to take up this offer after which the window closes, perhaps forever (still being negotiated by higher powers than me).

Must say I'm quite surprised at the sensible answers so far... :)

Reading this, I think you've made up your mind haven't you Brendan :)

Ms Gooner 1 28 February 2008 04:58 PM

OK - I'm no party pooper here - but what does your wife/partner say!
As you've written this it seems that there is more at sacrifice than meets the eye! You've mentioned family holidays and home improvements - well, if thats the case, it effects the whole family and it doesn't seem to me that the "whole" family will benefit from "daddy owns a porsche"!
Don't get me wrong - we've had some pretty fantastic cars, including 2 scoobs, RX7 :luvlove: , Supra Twin Turbo - and none of them were on finance, mainly because we swapped and part x'd thru e-bay LMAO - loved 'em all, but they weren't exactly "family orientated" LOL. Gooner was sick to get rid of the supra, but three kids jsut couldn't fit in the back :rolleyes:

Adidas 28 February 2008 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by serega (Post 7693792)
If you get locked in for 4 years, its a bit of a pickle - what if you find yourself in financial trouble, lots of things can happen in 4 years - you would need to sell, and that means losing a handfull of cash.

I was thinking exactly the same thing.

If you was buying it straight out now it wouldn't present such a problem. But you stated

It would mean big repayments for some years,
therefore you wouldn't even have any liquidity or savings if you were to become financially embarrased.

The more petrol, tax & insurance goes up, I certain the chance to buy a 'premium' brand of car with a good deal will increase.

stilover 28 February 2008 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes (Post 7693720)
And on top of that, would you stretch to your absolute financial limits to do it?

I might have the option to get 40% off list price of a brand new Porsche, .

If the deal was good yes, and at 40% off Brand new, that sounds a Bargin to me. In fact could you PM me the deal details as I could be interested in this myself.

What Porsche can you get 40% off? 911? Boxter? Cayman?
Do you have a choice of options, paint etc?

£65k car for £39k. It would be a stretch for me ATM as I've just used most of my savings paying off my Mortgage, but I could be tempted to get a 911 with 40% off.

PM me please Brendan.

Brendan Hughes 28 February 2008 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by PeteBrant (Post 7693829)
Reading this, I think you've made up your mind haven't you Brendan :)

I'm not joking when I say I've come to three definitive decisions over the last five days and am wavering once again! There are a number of other factors as well but it would be ridiculous (and frankly a bit too personal) if I laid them out as well, I thought I'd just keep it simple, and the above comments are already very helpful.

stilover - no need for a PM, this is linked to my job, sorry mate :) As I've never had a company car in my life, I'll accept this as compensation ;)

Snug Rhino 28 February 2008 05:06 PM

so you give up significant improvements to your families life so you can have a flash toy that you dont get to use much???

bearing in mind that, even with 40% off, it still hits you that hard financially arent you going to look a bit of a wally in it? sounds like a grown up version of the chavs that spend every penny insuring a Saxo VTS to be one up on their Nova mates.