ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Any Southern Water Drinkers Here? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/670923-any-southern-water-drinkers-here.html)

David Lock 28 February 2008 12:54 PM

Any Southern Water Drinkers Here?

I missed the recent programme on bottled water but I am happy to drink the tap stuff.

Trouble is that Southern Water leave so much chlorine or whatever in the water that for most of the time the fresh tap water is undrinkable.

I'll send one of my "Meldrew" type letters to Southern but I wondered if there are any other SW customers on here who have the same. Or may be you are all wealthy enough to buy the bottled brew? :)

dl

davegtt 28 February 2008 12:59 PM

Thread on this about 2 weeks ago David, Ive searched for you but cant find any trace of it :wonder:

dpb 28 February 2008 01:01 PM

We have south-east water for drinking now and southern for taking it anyway

Cant say ive ever noticed tho

Leslie 28 February 2008 01:15 PM

It has been recycled a good few times though!

Les

New_scooby_04 28 February 2008 01:34 PM

No, but I am a secret lemonade drinker....does that count? ;)

Ns "ahhh whites" 04

Shark Man 28 February 2008 01:39 PM

Actually; If you think its "that bad" go to your local swimming pool/spa chemicle stockist. and buy a test kit (about £6 )

Then take a test of the chlorine levels. I bet the level is so small it doesn't show a result. :) So small in fact, you really should buy a proper water test kit, but they are more expensive, so I wouldn't bother...if its an issue, get it tested by an independant expert.

Normally, the "taste" and smell could be due to chloromine used as disinfectant instead or it ocurring due to excess combined chlorine (organic matter combined with insufficient chlorine..i.e a lack of chlorine!).

Not that I'm saying anything about it, but theres alot more to it that just chlorine alone..... When I get the chemistry balance spot on; I can get swimming pool water to taste (and smell) better than the tap water - yet it has well over 6 times the level of PPM of chlorine than the tap water (its also softer, as it leaves my hair silky soft). :D

David Lock 28 February 2008 01:51 PM

Thanks. Ironically I am an ex-water engineer but have forgotten all the chemistry a long time ago. From the little I remember I think residual chlorine levels were supposed to be less than 1.5 ppm. Not really enough to taste but there just in case there were a few residual bugs in the water. Good idea about the test kits though. I have some kits for my garden pond and they are quite sensitive but obviously don't do chloramine. dl

Mr Bat 28 February 2008 03:27 PM

I have been drinking southern water for around 4 years David, unfortunately I find the taste so awful that I always filter it in a Brita thingy.

renny 28 February 2008 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04 (Post 7693260)
No, but I am a secret lemonade drinker....does that count? ;)

Ns "ahhh whites" 04

Do you wear the stripey jim jams as well :D

PeteBrant 28 February 2008 03:52 PM

It is unfesibly hard water down here. Kettles and any sort of heating elements get limescaled up in about 35 seconds.

However, it does have the side effect of turning you into a goddamned sexual tyrannosaurus

MJW 28 February 2008 03:54 PM

Thats a real nasty habit you got there ! :D

PeteBrant 28 February 2008 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by MJW (Post 7693645)
Thats a real nasty habit you got there ! :D

Qvick! Qvick! get to ze Charpah"

dpb 28 February 2008 04:02 PM

s'feckin hard to get clean tho :(

David Lock 28 February 2008 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Bat (Post 7693562)
I have been drinking southern water for around 4 years David, unfortunately I find the taste so awful that I always filter it in a Brita thingy.

And that works OK? Is that a plumb-in jobbie? d

Iain Young 28 February 2008 04:54 PM

I presume he means a filter jug. That's what I use down here in Swindon. Can't bear to drink the stuff stright out of the tap. Frequently smells like a swimming baths, and is often very "cloudy" as well...

Mr Bat 28 February 2008 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by David Lock (Post 7693694)
And that works OK? Is that a plumb-in jobbie? d

Not a plumb in (not with the thousands of cleaning products the wife has !) Just a jug for the fridge, perfectly great tasting water every time

Mr Bat 28 February 2008 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by PeteBrant (Post 7693664)
Qvick! Qvick! get to ze Charpah"

I watched this again yesterday...what a film

"If it bleeds ve can kill it"

dpb 28 February 2008 06:26 PM

Always tastes better cold ;)

David Lock 28 February 2008 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Bat (Post 7694062)
Not a plumb in (not with the thousands of cleaning products the wife has !) Just a jug for the fridge, perfectly great tasting water every time

Thanks Batters - I'm going to try one of those. I'll see if I can get Southern Water to pay for it :lol:

Edit to ask. Any recommendations as to which model to get? I just need a basic version that will take say 2 litres plus and will fit in a regular fridge.

Mr Bat 28 February 2008 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by David Lock (Post 7694098)
Thanks Batters - I'm going to try one of those. I'll see if I can get Southern Water to pay for it :lol:

Edit to ask. Any recommendations as to which model to get? I just need a basic version that will take say 2 litres plus and will fit in a regular fridge.

Just had a look and we have the Maxtra cartridges which last around a month I think. The disturbing part happens when you have to clean out the jug, particles of god knows what can be found, presumably lead....nice.

PS I would be very interested if you get it for free lol

New_scooby_04 28 February 2008 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by renny (Post 7693633)
Do you wear the stripey jim jams as well :D

Busted! ;) :)