ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   megane (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/669672-megane.html)

MrJim 23 February 2008 11:39 AM

megane

Hi im thinking of getting a second car for a runabout,any one have any thoughts about a renault megane f1 r26 thanks Jim.

Andy M3 25 February 2008 11:58 AM

Chap at work is looking to purchase one. He is suitably impressed anyway.

stilover 25 February 2008 12:21 PM

Build quality is always an issue with Renault. My old mans partner has a Megane. It's off to the dealer this week for the third time since getting it Brand new late last year.

I'd rather get a Focus ST or a Golf GTI.

rickj 25 February 2008 12:52 PM

From the reviews I've read it's supposed to be a very capable performer.

However I agree with the build quality issues comment, a couple of friend's standard megane's have been back and forward to the dealer with issues.

Mate has got a FOCUS ST and has so far proved rock solid reliability wise, it's also very quick, I was well impressed!

Steve vRS 25 February 2008 01:41 PM

I'm seriously tempted by one too. The build quality issues I could live with but following my experiences with a number of Renault dealers whilst owning a Clio Cup, I just couldn't do it!

Steve

MrJim 25 February 2008 02:37 PM

Thanks guys for your thoughts maybe look at focus st and compare.

nisr227 25 February 2008 04:27 PM

R26's put their power down well with their special diff (230bhp) and certainly grip amazingly well for a fwd hot hatch too.....a remapped one would seriously give an evo a run for their money on a twistie dry B road.

One of the lastest track car magazines tested one leaps and bounds above all the hot hatches....we are talking nearly 3secs quicker around their track than a Focus ST, and VXR with similar power. Evo magazine also rate it the best drivers hot hatch on the road.

Personally I would try to get one second hand for about 13-14k with little warranty left so you can avoid the dealers and remap/improve it further.

gingerboy 25 February 2008 04:54 PM

talking of Megane and VXR in the same sentence reminds me of when fifth gear were doing a head to head with the afore mentioned cars........... it wasn't a R26 F1, but the 225bhp version from memory.

Anyway the upshot was the Astra did it's lap no problems at all, no issues, just got on and did what it was designed for.

The renault, well that was another matter................ lets just say the RAC were called and some hours later after several ECU resets etc it was trailered back to Renault :lol1: .

Now don't get me wrong this was a couple of years ago and who knows maybe the R26 has more technical attention lavished upon it than a humble 225bhp version??? The upshot is that I really like the look of the Renault, and by all accounts the handling is first rate, but, and it's a very big but (no pun intended) I really don't think I could risk my own money in renaults not very good reliability record, poor customer service and so-so build quality.

If I was in your shoes, which I am not, but if I was, I would be looking at:

Focus ST
possibly Golf GTi (don't get me started on VW reliability....... long story)
Civic type R
Astra VXR
Seat Leon FR / Cupra guise petrol or diesel

Just my thoughts, will see if fifth gear have a video link to the megane / VXR head to head.

Regards

GB

gingerboy 25 February 2008 05:10 PM

Here is the link, found it eventually!

YouTube - Fifth Gear Vauxhall Astra VXR versus Renault Megane Sport 22

Regards

GB

bluenosewrx 25 February 2008 06:44 PM

There was a red one on pistonheads going cheap, about 12995 IIRC.

Mac

bluenosewrx 25 February 2008 06:48 PM

Found a blue one for 11,400

Renault : Renault Megane 225 F1

Mac

jespin 26 February 2008 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by bluenosewrx (Post 7685249)
Found a blue one for 11,400

Renault : Renault Megane 225 F1

Mac

The example above is not an R26 it's an F1 - although they look the same, the F1 hasn't got the LSD of the R26 and it has the original powerplant from the Megane 225 rather than the revised 230 version in the newer model.

bluenosewrx 26 February 2008 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by jespin (Post 7687718)
The example above is not an R26 it's an F1 - although they look the same, the F1 hasn't got the LSD of the R26 and it has the original powerplant from the Megane 225 rather than the revised 230 version in the newer model.

cheers for clearing that up i thought they were the same, sorry Op.

Mac