ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   SimTek latest developments ! (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/669564-simtek-latest-developments.html)

Andy.F 22 February 2008 08:21 PM

SimTek latest developments !

Further to pestering Andrew the ECU designer with my ideas for Nitrous control and working with him to perfect a solution, we now have a working map up and running for development and testing purposes :notworthy

The latest configuration allows 2 full nitrous control maps.

The nitrous power addition can be controlled progressively by throttle position and RPM. It can be corrected for boost pressure (to quickly spool big turbos for example) with a safety cut off in the event of overboost.
Nitrous can also be controlled differently in each gear if for example you want to minimise wheelspin in 1st gear.
The ECU will also control the additional fuel supply to the engine (so no need for a fuel solenoid) and also has a full 3D map for ignition timing correction throughout the rpm range.

In a nutshell, a "safe as houses" nitrous control package :luxhello:

Thats the final piece of the jigsaw in place for fitting a Simtek to my race car for this coming season :thumb:

There are many more additions in the development pipeline but I'm sworn to secrecy for the time being :norty:

Andy

Leg@cy 22 February 2008 08:27 PM

Awwwwwwwwwwww

Come on !!

SPILL the BEANS !! SPILL the BEANS !!

MartynJ 22 February 2008 08:56 PM

Nice one the two Andys ...:thumb:

Leg@cy 22 February 2008 09:00 PM

Martin, let me know in the morning..... i can keep a secret....

What time do the gates open ?

Alan Jeffery 22 February 2008 09:03 PM

I'm only allowed a wink! ;)

:lol1:

Andy.F 22 February 2008 09:10 PM

You need to try this progressive nitrous on the Murtaya Alan !

0-100-0 record here we go !

cookstar 22 February 2008 09:14 PM

Im getting so close to getting quotes for this :D

Apart from the ECU costs, how much would the nitrous set up be?

Alan Jeffery 22 February 2008 09:23 PM

No kidding, it sounds brilliant..
I used to use nitrous on a hillclimb/sprint 1300 MG Midget some 26 years ago.
The big problem was lousy solenoids and very poor mixture control. I got away with it, but that's about it I think to be fair! We had no wide band lambdas, and only very slow calorific CO meters, so it boiled down to plug colour and a bit of guesswork. The car had 125 bhp with another 30 or so of nitrous, so not bad for an A series! The only other guy using nitrous for hillclimbing was Nick Mann, who had a Morris Minor V8 which was super quick for its day. The RACMSA banned its use around that time, so that was that!
We're off to demo the Murtayas again tomorrow at Llandow, and I'll have one for the Japfest. Are you straying that far South for that?

Andy.F 22 February 2008 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by cookstar (Post 7677607)
Apart from the ECU costs, how much would the nitrous set up be?

As its still in testing, that has yet to be decided. It may be that its included with the anti-lag and launch control package but thats not my decision. All you would need in addition to the ECU is a Nitrous solenoid valve and a bottle.

Andy.F 22 February 2008 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Jeffery (Post 7677635)
We're off to demo the Murtayas again tomorrow at Llandow, and I'll have one for the Japfest. Are you straying that far South for that?

I doubt it Alan, multimap estimates 7.5 hrs each way :( (without a trailer!) although Combe looks like a brilliant circuit :cool:

wrxginge 22 February 2008 09:44 PM

So you could just buy a dry nitrous system for this?

And would this be able to be retrofitted to an existing simtek?

cookstar 22 February 2008 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Andy.F (Post 7677649)
As its still in testing, that has yet to be decided. It may be that its included with the anti-lag and launch control package but thats not my decision. All you would need in addition to the ECU is a Nitrous solenoid valve and a bottle.

Do I get a red button on the steering wheel :lol1:

Alan Jeffery 22 February 2008 09:48 PM

Combe is great, and very fast. I first drove there in 1977! I never had a win there, but got 3rd, 2nd, fastest lap and three poles. I was leading the last race I did there by miles, but they stopped the race, and I picked up a stupid misfire off the restart. Typical. I've been sharing a Cosworth 3 door with my old buddy Graham for years, and we regularly see off young upstarts in Scoobies and Evos on track days, despite only 300 bhp... :norty:
We're hoping for a SimTek for the Cossie, as Andy was working on a board for the original ECU. He's a bit busy right now though! :)

Alan Jeffery 22 February 2008 09:50 PM

Cookie has seen too many Burt Reynolds re-runs!:lol1:

Andy.F 22 February 2008 09:52 PM

Interesting re the 3dr cossie, fantastic cars. I used to run one up here in the Scottish saloon car championship at Knockhill, I won it in 1995 with 13 wins from 14 starts !

Andy.F 22 February 2008 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by cookstar (Post 7677726)
Do I get a red button on the steering wheel :lol1:

Just watch for the rivits popping out of the tunnel ;)

Andy.F 22 February 2008 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by wrxginge (Post 7677705)
So you could just buy a dry nitrous system for this?

And would this be able to be retrofitted to an existing simtek?

Ideally return to your original tuner to check if your ECU is suitable for the upgrade.
This Nitrous system will only be available after the testing has been completed (note to self - get the finger out !)

Alan Jeffery 22 February 2008 09:55 PM

Well there you are, see! a side of both of us we didn't know about!
Well done mate, no mean achievement..

cookstar 22 February 2008 09:55 PM

:D On a serious note, what kind of gainis should be expected on my set up with this ECU + nitrous, built 2.0 MD321T and all the supporting guff

Andy.F 22 February 2008 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Jeffery (Post 7677759)
Well there you are, see! a side of both of us we didn't know about!
Well done mate, no mean achievement..

Thanks, to think I had you down as a 'Yank tank' racer too lol ;)

Andy.F 22 February 2008 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by cookstar (Post 7677760)
:D On a serious note, what kind of gainis should be expected on my set up with this ECU + nitrous, built 2.0 MD321T and all the supporting guff

Remind us of your cars full spec ?

Leg@cy 22 February 2008 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Andy.F (Post 7677749)
Just watch for the rivits popping out of the tunnel ;)

:lol1:

cookstar 22 February 2008 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by Andy.F (Post 7677810)
Remind us of your cars full spec ?

2.0 STI block
forged pistons
forged rods
STI heads
STI-5 Cams
API modified injectors
Walbro uprated fuel pump
API equal length fuel rail kit
Fuelab FPR
3 port boost solenoid
uprated plugs "7's"
API oversized induction pipe
K&N cold air induction kit
MD321T turbo
STI8 intercooler
Intercooler Y hardpipe
CDF lightened pulley kit
Dump valve delete mod
Full blue samco hose kit
FMIC hybrid

PPG straight cut
HKS twin plate

SoNiCa 22 February 2008 10:35 PM

Great news ! It is time for an ecu swap

BTW,does SimTek have 0-5v analog inputs?

Andy.F 22 February 2008 10:41 PM

One of the big benefits of the Simtek is the ability to run 2 full maps, this allows you to for example, drive daily on 95 ron and then run either race fuel or 99+ methanol/octane booster at weekends :D

Your power and torque output very much depends on your fuel octane, typically on say 97 ron I would expect circa 420bhp and 380 torque.
On 99+methanol and NF then up to 480bhp and 420+ torque. This is before N2O is turned on.
Basically you can add nitrous up to the mechanical limits of your engine, a 50 shot is typical and would see your set up well over 500bhp in my experience. The big bonus with nitrous is that a 50 shot adds 50bhp across the rpm range, this is a big kick at say 3000 rpm where it equates to an additional 90 lbft of torque :cool:

Andy.F 22 February 2008 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by SoNiCa (Post 7677937)
Great news ! It is time for an ecu swap

BTW,does SimTek have 0-5v analog inputs?

For what purpose ?

SoNiCa 22 February 2008 11:07 PM

0-5 inputs/outputs would always be nice for controlling external sensors/devices etc.. I can log 4X EGT probes with datalogit/apexi

Andy.F 22 February 2008 11:24 PM

I guess what the designer has to look at is how many would use the function ? The greater the demand then the higher up the priority list it may go for development.
I'm not sure how many will be logging 4 x EGT or external sensors ? You or I may have a use for this on our race spec cars but in my opinion I don't see it being a high priority at this time.
This is just my view btw.

simbo 23 February 2008 12:07 AM

so does this mean you could have a map set up for fuel and a map for a nos boost

cookstar 23 February 2008 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by Andy.F (Post 7677970)
One of the big benefits of the Simtek is the ability to run 2 full maps, this allows you to for example, drive daily on 95 ron and then run either race fuel or 99+ methanol/octane booster at weekends :D

Your power and torque output very much depends on your fuel octane, typically on say 97 ron I would expect circa 420bhp and 380 torque.
On 99+methanol and NF then up to 480bhp and 420+ torque. This is before N2O is turned on.
Basically you can add nitrous up to the mechanical limits of your engine, a 50 shot is typical and would see your set up well over 500bhp in my experience. The big bonus with nitrous is that a 50 shot adds 50bhp across the rpm range, this is a big kick at say 3000 rpm where it equates to an additional 90 lbft of torque :cool:

over 500 you say :norty:

Can you have multiple maps on this, so you can save the gas?