ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   CHANGING SPARK PLUGS - tips please? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/668966-changing-spark-plugs-tips-please.html)

Mouseman11 20 February 2008 11:58 AM

CHANGING SPARK PLUGS - tips please?

Hi all
Ready to change spark plugs in a stock 52 plate WRX bug eye.
Is it an urban myth or is this a VERY difficult job to do?
Thanks

Davros 1979 20 February 2008 12:13 PM

If you have the right tools it isnt that bad at all.

Remove Airbox if you still have one. Remove the washer bottle, some say battery but I think you can do the job without removing it.

Gear Head 20 February 2008 12:59 PM

Not difficult at all. Just make sure you tape the spark plug socket to extension that you use. If you don't, it will get stuck on the plug when you go to pull it out.
A lot of the job is done by feel. And, if you have large hands, prepare for a scraping session! :D

Steve001 20 February 2008 01:02 PM

another tip

if your ratchet does not lock onto the sparkplug socket remove the rubber from the inside of the socket. this will stop you leaving the socket on the plug when you try and remove it after you fitted the new sparkplugs.

bin there done that :rolleyes: its a bit of a pain to get out.

as for the job, its not hard just awkward

s

Dam you beat me to it :D:D:D

oh yes do one at a time, that way you wont get the coilpacks mixed up

Mouseman11 20 February 2008 01:21 PM

another excellent response. thanks.
I may as well kick the @rse out your genorosity - what size plug socket?

cheers me dears.

Steve001 20 February 2008 01:26 PM

ooops sorry cant remember :doh:

generally they come in 2 sizes, its the smaller one :D

BTW battery out does make it a bit easier

s

Mouseman11 20 February 2008 01:33 PM

the small one - thats good enough for me!
No need for techno speak ha ha

Battery out then. I heard on the grapevine something silly like the engine had to be lowered a bit to get to the heads!

Never trust a grapevine, eh?

Steve001 20 February 2008 01:44 PM

10mm if memory serves :p

i just wish subaru had allowed half an inch extra room between the engine and inner wing

sod the grapevine m8 engine HIGHER if anything but you dont need to anyway, so much for the grapes then

s

JohnD 20 February 2008 01:47 PM

The worst bit is thinking about doing it!
Never had to take the battery out, just not needed, just airbox and washer bottle. Make sure you've set the gaps - you don't want to be doing the whole job again for a while!
JohnD

Steve001 20 February 2008 01:52 PM

Battery out, battery out ;););):D

it does give you a bit more room to manouver :p you should remove the earth (-) from the battery before work anyway. the worse thing is that you have to do your radio pre-sets again :D

s

JohnD 20 February 2008 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Steve001 (Post 7670958)
Battery out, battery out ;););):D

it does give you a bit more room to manouver :p you should remove the earth (-) from the battery before work anyway. the worse thing is that you have to do your radio pre-sets again :D

s

There you go! Battery out then battery in, then re-setting the pre-sets doubles the job time! :D
JohnD

Steve001 20 February 2008 02:04 PM

I knew i'd get my own way :p:p:D:D

s

Steve001 20 February 2008 02:08 PM

oh yes and i forgot to say

have one of those magnetic 'fisher-outer-ers' to hand for when you drop something onto the undertray

done that one as well :D:D:D

s

Mouseman11 20 February 2008 04:53 PM

blimey this is a popular thread or are we all just not busy enough at work? LOL

Ok then - who wants to get the correct gap size back to me then...?
And any recommended plugs for a standard WRX engine set up with a plodder of a driver...

5, 4, 3, ...

bugeyeandy 20 February 2008 05:52 PM

NGKPFR6B 's - they come pre-gapped.

ryansclassicscoob 20 February 2008 06:07 PM

[QUOTE=Steve001;7670928]10mm if memory serves :p

I think the small size plug socket is 16mm

Steve001 20 February 2008 06:21 PM

thats whats allways confused me :confused: coz the socket itself mybe 16mm but they all have 10mm stamped on the side (i have 2 both different makes) but both say 10mm

sticking to the technical version 'its the small one' :D

s

when you get your new plugs try your socket, if it fit then ok, if not go and buy/borrow one that does ;) sorted!

gavimpreza9 20 February 2008 07:03 PM

dont take the battery out mate, waste of time ive never taken it out and ive fitted hundreds, also never trust the pre gapped size always check before fitting, if you think there hard to do try an H6 legacy, nearly impossible.

jasonius 20 February 2008 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by gavimpreza9 (Post 7671772)
dont take the battery out mate, waste of time ive never taken it out and ive fitted hundreds, also never trust the pre gapped size always check before fitting.

Same here..;)

The washer bottle (if you have one) can be moved up onto suspension turret without disconnecting hoses. Just unplug electrical connector to pump first..;)

Airbox out, that's the easier side..!

Other than that, the right tools (esp. extension length ~75mm iirc..:)) and it can be easier to position socket and extension onto plug before connecting the ratchet IYSWIM..?

It's one of those jobs that having done it once it's easy 30min.