ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Cost of building a new house? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/668749-cost-of-building-a-new-house.html)

Nexuas 19 February 2008 04:58 PM

Cost of building a new house?

I am just mulling over the idea of building a new house in N.wales as a second/holiday home. I have an eye on some land, but was trying to come up with some ball park figures to get a watertight bare plaster shell constructed.

The property is is going to be small, as it is just My other half, me and a child who will stay there and it is really only a place to sleep.

The plan is for a 1 1/2 storey house (I.e ground floor and bedrooms in the pitched roof space, with half hieght walls to give enough head room) I am looking at an external footprint of 24' X 10' (Told you it was small) Could someone give me a ball park figure in £ per square foot or an overal cost?

I will do all the internal fitting out etc, just need bricks, roof, doors and windows fitting, and someone to plaster the inside after I have sorted out the first fix...

Oh the walls can be blockwork rather than brick as the plan is to render the outside, to match the local buildings.

So any ideas on a price (Remember N. Wales so possibly cheaper than down here in the south?)

Terminator X 19 February 2008 05:00 PM

Simple answer is that a new house is normaly 1/3 build cost, 1/3 land cost & 1/3 profit for developer. Building yourself is of course a hasle although you should save a 1/3 of any new house price (ish). So a £300k house should set you back £200k.

TX.

Edit - an estimate on cost is really a "how long's a piece of string" issue. I normally work on £150ft2. Small house will be higher (maybe) with a big house being less. A high spec house will be more, a low spec one less ... you get me ;)

Nexuas 19 February 2008 08:49 PM

So on that basis about £36000?

Is that finished or just a shell cost?

RON 19 February 2008 09:31 PM

If it were me, and i wanted something that small, i'd seriously think about doing it with a completely timber frame, loads of insulation, and clad with something that wouldn't look out of place in the local area.....

Dunk 19 February 2008 10:02 PM

Between £1k and £1.5k per sq mtr fully finished. (NWales should be on the lower end)

D

Nexuas 20 February 2008 01:24 PM

Cheers

Terminator X 20 February 2008 01:50 PM

Eh? 24 x 10 x 1.5 = 360ft2 x £150 = £54k :wonder: Should get it complete for that although to me £54k sounds cheap ....

At least it gives you an indication of what a Builder may give as an estimate.

TX.

Originally Posted by Nexuas (Post 7669149)
So on that basis about £36000?

Is that finished or just a shell cost?

Account deleted by request 20 February 2008 01:55 PM

1000 per sqmt finished

chop :)

OllyK 20 February 2008 03:01 PM

And, IIRC you can claim the VAT back at the end of a new build.

spider 20 February 2008 05:00 PM

Nexuas - I've been trying to get an idea of costs too - only mine's for a two-storey extension near Reading (plain clay tiles on roof and white rendered finish similar to yours?).

To get to a similar state that you want (i.e. we'll do the finishing off inside such as skirtings, decorating, floor tiles etc.) I've been told to work on £850 per sq metre - so about £43,000 for a 50 sq m extension.

Cheers,
Steve

Dunk 20 February 2008 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by spider (Post 7671368)
Nexuas - I've been trying to get an idea of costs too - only mine's for a two-storey extension near Reading (plain clay tiles on roof and white rendered finish similar to yours?).

To get to a similar state that you want (i.e. we'll do the finishing off inside such as skirtings, decorating, floor tiles etc.) I've been told to work on £850 per sq metre - so about £43,000 for a 50 sq m extension.

Cheers,
Steve

Sounds like a carbon copy of my plans and the same area too, let me know what prices you get in.

D

Nexuas 20 February 2008 09:48 PM

I don't even want to think about the costs for the extension on my house in Reading, I had a bit of a grand scheme, but looking at these estimates I think it maybe cheaper to move, although I don't think I can afford anything I like. I have expensive tastes and a smaller budget, or the holiday home may have to go on hold for a few years... Just need to see if the life insurance is going to pay for my illness and I will then have to survive and get cured etc... Just filling my time in hospital with grand ideas...