ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   William Hague rips into Gordy....! (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/667760-william-hague-rips-into-gordy.html)

zip106 15 February 2008 02:03 PM

William Hague rips into Gordy....!

And it's a good-un.
Keep with it, it gets better.. :D
William Hague gets it right... | Samizdata.net

The Chief 15 February 2008 02:10 PM

I think he needed a bit more experience in politics, he is a lot more mature and seems to have grown a pair of balls now since he packed in.

I think if he would have entered as a leader now he would be a viable alternative.

The Zohan 15 February 2008 02:12 PM

Alays liked Haig - spot on speech and FAF!

Even the Labour benchers are LOL!

The Zohan 15 February 2008 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by The Chief (Post 7656192)
I think he needed a bit more experience in politics, he is a lot more mature and seems to have grown a pair of balls now since he packed in.

I think if he would have entered as a leader now he would be a viable alternative.

And me!

Bonehead 15 February 2008 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood (Post 7656202)
And me!

And me!
Always remember the look of fear on Bliars face when Hague stepped up to question him on something.

Leslie 15 February 2008 02:36 PM

The Conservative party really shot themselves in the foot when they sacked him as leader. Even though he lost the election at the time, the people they chose instead of him were grossly ineffective and he would have very soon developed the experience he needed to become a great leader.

Les

^Qwerty^ 15 February 2008 03:28 PM

Hague - the best PM we'll never have :(

lozgti 15 February 2008 03:32 PM

Other conservatives hide their intelligence and charisma really well.

I have warmed to Hague I must say

Prasius 15 February 2008 03:46 PM

That was very funny - and it is telling when the Labour benches were laughing as much as everyone else.

David Lock 15 February 2008 04:02 PM

I really enjoyed that :thumb:

I've long been a Hague fan. Streets above the rest of the riff-raff. dl

billyray911 15 February 2008 04:08 PM

[QUOTE=Leslie;7656295]The Conservative party really shot themselves in the foot when they sacked him as leader. Even though he lost the election at the time, the people they chose instead of him were grossly ineffective and he would have very soon developed the experience he needed to become a great leader.

I don't think that his ablities were ever in question,but he was quickly despatched from the front as at the time,he wasn't a good "face" for the party and i don't think he ever escaped the "young conservative" tag.
They've reaped what theyve sown and lived to regret it.
He's definitely a viable option and has an alternative character and brain to differentiate the two "centre" parties

zip106 15 February 2008 04:08 PM

Agree with you all - he was just too young and naive when he was leader.

He has always said that he'll never lead the Tories again, but we can always live in hope that he'll change his mind.
He must be the best orator in politics today. :thumb:

Snazy 15 February 2008 04:16 PM

Superb, his nature seems to have changed somewhat since his day as leader, but what a speaker he has become.

Days like that make you wonder what he would have been like as PM

Blair and Brown must be screwing about that. But how right did he get it lol

I think him and Cameron make a good pair, cool heads and strength in words. Not perfect bit maybe a good enough combination for the next election.

Martin2005 15 February 2008 05:43 PM

The problem with Hague, Duncan-Smith and Howard was Blair.

I also like Hague, I think the whole young conservative party conference speech thing really hurt him.

The Tories are once again electable now they've shifted to the centre ground and away from the fairly 'nasty' stuff that they allowed themselves to be seduced by (Hague was more guilty of this than most).

Deep Singh 15 February 2008 05:50 PM

One the the greatest and sharpest minds in the commons. I love hearing him speak

hutton_d 15 February 2008 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Martin2005 (Post 7656972)

The Tories are once again electable now they've shifted to the centre ground and away from the fairly 'nasty' stuff that they allowed themselves to be seduced by (Hague was more guilty of this than most).

Pray tell which *nasty*stuff you mean? Which policies were *nasty*????

Dave

Martin2005 15 February 2008 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by hutton_d (Post 7657397)
Pray tell which *nasty*stuff you mean? Which policies were *nasty*????

Dave

They're not my words, that's how the Tories themselves described that period after their policy review

Trucker Ted 15 February 2008 08:39 PM

Excellent speech ,with perfect delivery.:lol1: As a prime minister i think he would have had more credibility than Brown especially at an international level.

The Conservatives really should have kept him as leader and speeches like this show why.