ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   BT Openworld - Am I doing the right thing? (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/66656-bt-openworld-am-i-doing-the-right-thing.html)

Shark 21 January 2002 07:09 PM

I had ADSL with a company called Tiscali, and after a long battle, have managed to disconnect with them. They where totally unable to provide a service, and lacked any ability to resolve my problems, but thats in the past. (I can provide full and exact details to back these comments up)

So comments please on BT Openworld - Good and Bad

Thanks

David

scud8 21 January 2002 07:59 PM

I have BT OpenWorld for nearly a year now. It's failed a couple of times over the year, but only been down for a few hours each time, and support have been pretty good about telling me what's going on.

I regularly get close to the theoretical maximum download speed, so the DSLAM I'm connected to can't have too many people on it (if it ever gets close to the guaranteed 50:1 oversubscription I'll be looking for a new ISP). Overall, pretty good, if expensive.

Shark 21 January 2002 08:09 PM

Scud8

Thanks, but whats a DSLAM?

David

PeterUK300 21 January 2002 08:56 PM

David
A leading question. You will undoubtedly get more moans as people do like to moan rather than praise.

There are only 2 choices really BT or NTL. Good support from both.
It is really a cost & availability thing. Of course there are others but they go through the BT network.

I have BTopenworld and has been OK for me.

All the best
Pete

boxst 21 January 2002 10:05 PM

Hello

I can recommend that you post the question on bbs.adslguide.org.uk and also read the forums.

It would be Nildram for me (as they provide my current ISDN) if my exchange ever gets updated.

I have a question though: I was looking at Tiscali for Satelite internet -- are you saying that their customer support and service is terrible??

Steve.

IanW 21 January 2002 11:21 PM

What is a DSLAM?

DSLAM is a Digital subscriber line Access Multiplexer. It concentrates and multiplexes digital subscriber line signals at the telephone service provider location and transmits them to the broadband wide area network.

Ian

mutant_matt 21 January 2002 11:23 PM

Dave,

my friend Callum has just got Force9/Plusnet and thinks it is top notch. He says everything about it is good....you could check out the other ADSL ISP options on Net4Nowt

Pete, whilst all ADSL lines are BT, the provider/ISP can be a whole bunch of different companies. The level and quality of service between these can differ drastically.....

Matt :)

PeterUK300 22 January 2002 01:35 PM

Matt
I know m8. I was trying to be subtle. (BT Employee)

Pete

BarryK 22 January 2002 01:55 PM

BTopenwound, as it is affectionately known, was a shambles when I first got it in Oct/Nov, but they have done some upgrades and it is "as advertised" now.

No complaints at the moment.

simon_prickett 22 January 2002 02:27 PM

They made a total mess of installing the ADSL, not by mucking up the house, but by screwing us around with appointments and excuses. Now it's in, it works perfectly and we're very happy, although still seeking compensation for missed appointments = time off work for installation.

Openworld are telling me they don't do compensation for this sort of thing, anyone on here managed to get anything out of them or am I wasting my time?

Simon.

mutant_matt 22 January 2002 06:55 PM

Barry,

OpenWOUND, that priceless ;):D:D:D

Matt :D

Steve Perriam 22 January 2002 07:00 PM

only got one complaint about ADSL

I cant get it :( :( :(

no data as to when either from good old BT :rolleyes:

waiting for some info from a guy on here as to an alternative via a cable company so fingers crossed.

Dan A 23 January 2002 10:14 AM

Had ADSL since it came out with BT.
Dont like having to pay BT, but great product quick downloads.
No major issues.

Cheers

Dan

Dizzy 23 January 2002 01:14 PM

ok.. had dsl spent 3 months trying to get it canceled after p!ss poor service.

GOOD SUPPORT FROM BOTH!?!?! r u sh!ttin me?! I suppose I can normally get through to BT support (only 20mins) who would kindly tell me "We are experiencing technical difficulties atm" [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] very usefull however DONT EVEN TRY TO PHONE NTL!

The service (final product) from NTL is VERY good atm athough DSL started out very good too (but then RAPIDLY degraded). I accept I'm quite picky over the quality of my connection but being told
"We'll be bringing out a specific service for gamers in the future" doesn't really help with the comical amount of loss I used to get. I used to get a better connection from my modem (higher ping but much less loss). I was so furious with the "support" and "complaints" departments (who NEVER phone back and wouldnt refund coz I hadn't complained enough??!?!) I wont even take a normal BT landline from them anymore.

IMHO if you have the choice go for NTL they'll takes ages to install, you'll never be able to phone them and there probably going bust, but at least you'll get a good service at just over half the price.

one EX bt customer [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

mutant_matt 23 January 2002 01:52 PM

Dizzy,

Just one small point, Dave asked about Openworld ADSL - NTL don't do ADSL.....just Cable Modems or dial up.

Dizzy 23 January 2002 02:17 PM

I know :) just take any oportunaty to rant :)

make sure you check up on other DSL providers in your area (there will be some if BT do) see if any do month by month subsriptions so you can always ditch it if its pants.

mutant_matt 23 January 2002 02:31 PM

I keep recommending Dave to use Force9/PlusNet but he's set his heart on OpenWound ;):D

Chelsie-Bun 23 January 2002 03:31 PM

Matt

When you have lost it like we did for as long as we have,
Then we want it back as soon as poss we dont want to wate any longer and BT was at hand the quickest.

chel xxx

simonma 23 January 2002 05:17 PM

Had it for almost a year now. Not had too many problems connecting to the web. Speeds always fantastic.

Mail server drops out a lot though.

Si

Dizzy 23 January 2002 05:21 PM

speed was generally good but the connection was pants 4 gaming :( depends what you were looking for

Shark 23 January 2002 08:15 PM

Ladies and Gents

Thanks for your replies. Just thought I'd corner my own thread and say that BT Openworld are on their way at 13.00 Hrs tomorrow. After a lot of thought on my part !!

Myself and Chelsie have fingures crossed and hope we will have few problems.......

Watch this space :D

David