ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   utorrent - DHT: 0 nodes (Login) ? (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/666082-utorrent-dht-0-nodes-login.html)

spectrum48k 08 February 2008 02:34 PM

utorrent - DHT: 0 nodes (Login) ?

Having a problem with uTorrent at the moment.

Anyone seen this ?

DJ Dunk 08 February 2008 02:46 PM

UDP Traffic needs to be allowed in firewalls for DHT to function.

If it is, shut down uT, Remove dht.dat and dht.dat.old from %appdata%\utorrent and retry.

Personally I always disable it as many trackers don't like it being used and will ban you, but it is useful in some instances.

wwp8 08 February 2008 04:08 PM

btw. be careful with utorrent , i heard it is can be tracked

davegtt 08 February 2008 04:14 PM

Mine packed up 2 weeks ago but there a new version 1.7.7 which fixes it all. Using it earlier with no problems but just gone to thepiratebay.org which was working fine this morning and all the torrents have disappeared :mad:

Luminous 08 February 2008 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by wwp8 (Post 7636674)
btw. be careful with utorrent , i heard it is can be tracked

:confused: Tracked by who? using what? for what purpose?

You think its different if you use different torrent software? :confused:

DJ Dunk 08 February 2008 05:19 PM

I won't touch new versions of uTorrent since they joined with BitTorrent Inc.

wwp8 08 February 2008 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Luminous (Post 7636787)
:confused: Tracked by who? using what? for what purpose?

You think its different if you use different torrent software? :confused:

they are tracked by the "company"
i can't remember the site that warned users

myblackwrx 08 February 2008 06:03 PM

Think this applies to any p2p clinet Video: How People Are Tracked Using BitTorrent | TorrentFreak

spectrum48k 08 February 2008 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by DJ Dunk (Post 7636506)
UDP Traffic needs to be allowed in firewalls for DHT to function.

If it is, shut down uT, Remove dht.dat and dht.dat.old from %appdata%\utorrent and retry.

Personally I always disable it as many trackers don't like it being used and will ban you, but it is useful in some instances.

er, getting back to the ORIGINAL TOPIC :lol1: , thanks Dunk. UDP was always on, so I tried changing the port, setup a new firewall rule and it worked.

Luminous 08 February 2008 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by myblackwrx (Post 7637001)

Bah...

The problem with that sort of tracking for torrents is that it is not really proof that you supplied the file. Previously if you supplied a whole file, then they could prove you sent it.

With torrents you just send little pieces of data, and its possible to seed fakes. Its perfectly legal to seed a fake, and unless they got the whole thing from you then they cannot say for sure the information you sent could even be played/used.