ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Mac OS X on a PC (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/665786-mac-os-x-on-a-pc.html)

Dracoro 07 February 2008 09:40 AM

Mac OS X on a PC

Yeah, we've all heard of the other way round (windows on a mac using dual boot etc.) but can it be done the other way round given that OS X uses Intel chips these days?

I've used macs in a previous job and they were ok (no one OS is really better than the other but when I had 2 in front of me everyday I ended up using the PC more but that's another discussion!) but I need a PC for development (visual studio, .net, c#, vb etc.) as well as the little bits of software that you can only get on PCs and so on. However I would like to use OS X a little bit as well (for better iTunes performance and some other little things).

I want to be able to spec up a new PC (at some point!!) as I want to be able to upgrade easily in the future so that rules a mac out.

So can it be done or is it more of a PITA to get running OK.

SwissTony 07 February 2008 09:47 AM

Ask Marcus but there is a way to do it. However it is not as fully supported as the other way around, so be prepared for a long and arduous install.

OSx86 Project | InsanelyMac

Sonic' 07 February 2008 10:14 AM

Interesting, now I have a new half decent spec laptop I wouldnt mind having a go at this

I used to use Executor many many years ago, and it was surprisingly good and ran at a half decent speed :)

JackClark 07 February 2008 10:18 AM

This is the place http://www.hackint0sh.org/forum/indexpage.php

Sonic' 07 February 2008 10:31 AM

Now getting this :)

JaS.10.4.8.Intel.SSE3.Only.Install.DVD.iso

Going to try it on VMware first, and then if it goes ok, will try the dual boot :)

Markus 07 February 2008 12:53 PM

Yes it can be done, but as Swiss said, it's a bit of a pain, plus you won't be able to run the absolute latest version of 10.4, I think it's stuck at 10.4.8 at the moment, rather than 10.4.11.

If I have a spare moment I might see if it'll run inside VMWare Fusion, which would be an interesting concept, Mac OS X within Mac OS X, though I'd not be at all shocked if it did not work.

Sonic' 07 February 2008 04:11 PM

Im also getting 10.4.10 ;)
that is alleged to work fine as a dual boot :D

Markus 07 February 2008 07:18 PM

Steve, do you mean a normal mac bootable 10.4.10 iso?

Sonic' 07 February 2008 11:20 PM

No Markus its the uphack version

However trying to install it in a vmware (server version 2 beta) I get the EBIOS error message, whether I use the burnt DVD or the ISO image mounted with daemon tools

It does boot fine and start the installer natively, so I know nothing is wrong with the DVD or the ISO file, so I guess its an issue with vmware, but I cant change that as it is the only version that runs on Vista 64 :)

Gigsy 07 February 2008 11:39 PM

As above, it can be done but it's a bit pointless... much better to get a Mac and run Windows OS using Parallels Desktop VMware

Dracoro 08 February 2008 12:31 AM

For me doing that is even more pointless. Macs alone don't suffice my needs. The OS X part is a nice to have, the Windows bit is essential as are my other reqs in post #1.

Gigsy 08 February 2008 01:35 AM

It depends on your needs, but running Windows on a Mac via VMWare gives you the benefit of one machine to service all needs... I'm running some fairly processor/memory intensive Windows apps like Photoshop and Illustrator on the Mac via Parallels quite happily. Plus I can run multiple Windows platforms in test environments all from the one machine. You do need a chunky HDD and plenty of memory though.

Gigsy 08 February 2008 01:36 AM

forgot to add that I also run Visual Studio & SQL Server via vmware on the Mac

Gigsy 08 February 2008 01:39 AM

...oh, and also, upgrading a Mac is pretty straight forward really. Historically, I'm a PC guy so I'm not Mac biased, it just suits my needs better to be able to run everything from one machine

Sonic' 08 February 2008 02:14 AM

I have to ask, why are you running Photoshop & Illustrator on a vmware session in windows on a Mac, why not just run PS & Ill on the Mac natively ?

Gigsy 08 February 2008 07:23 AM

My license is for a PC and I'm too tight to pay for the upgrade to switch the license over to the Mac at the moment :)

Sonic' 08 February 2008 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Gigsy (Post 7635510)
My license is for a PC and I'm too tight to pay for the upgrade to switch the license over to the Mac at the moment :)

:lol1: at least your honest, and i'm too tight to buy a real Mac :D

SwissTony 08 February 2008 09:14 AM

aint that the truth ;) :D

Sonic' 12 February 2008 01:52 AM

LOL

Installed OSx86 on my old Dell D610

Wasnt too bad an install really, infact stick the cd in, format the hard drive, let it copy files, reboot and done :D

Runs a bit slower than XP does (well a lot then ok :D) but imagine it runs about the same speed as Vista would (cant be bothered trying tbh)

I need to add the kext files for my gfx card so I can get a better resolution, plus it is supposed to run quicker, oh and I need to find some wireless drivers for it too :D

jowl 12 February 2008 09:19 AM

Now I've got some new 'PC hardware ready for my build, I might have to look into this. Maybe a way to get 4 cores on non-mac hardware :D

Actually, I'll try it in VMWare - that could be quite handy now and again.

Sonic' 12 February 2008 09:34 AM

tbh I have had problems running OSx86 in Vmware, I can get it to install but then it doesnt boot afterwards

But now I think I have an idea why it might be, doesnt help trying it on Vmware Server 2 beta as it has all the debug code in it and is tempremental at best :)

jowl 12 February 2008 01:23 PM

I intend to try it on VMWare server. (not the beta)

But I've got build the machine first - and her indoors isn't taking too kindly to my hints of 'you paint, I'll build my new machine' :idea:

Sonic' 12 February 2008 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by jowl (Post 7647159)
I intend to try it on VMWare server. (not the beta)

But I've got build the machine first - and her indoors isn't taking too kindly to my hints of 'you paint, I'll build my new machine' :idea:

:lol1:

I didnt have much choice in using vm server beta, as the current version 1.4 doesnt work on Vista 64 bit, only version 2 beta does