ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Airbox resonator (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/665453-airbox-resonator.html)

jaypug 05 February 2008 08:52 PM

Airbox resonator

Is it worth getting rid of my airbox resonator on my RB5. Im running the standard airbox with a k&n panel filter.

RBGUS 06 February 2008 06:47 AM

I've removed mine before i went to andy f's for a remap
it gives you better/cooler. Andy's idea:thumb:

harvey 07 February 2008 12:49 AM

I have experimented with removing the resonator from the inner wing,
Without any other modifications there was a loss of power, not a gain. More noise but less BHP.

Andy.F 07 February 2008 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by jaypug (Post 7628800)
Is it worth getting rid of my airbox resonator on my RB5. Im running the standard airbox with a k&n panel filter.

Yes it is, especially on version 5 and 6. Also close off the hole in the inner wing that the original air inlet fed through. The result is that you have reduced the flow restriction to the turbo and you are now taking the air from a colder area than originally directly beside the radiator.

Due to the method of airflow measurement on this particular model, this mod is unlikely to show any meaningfull difference on a rolling road, this is due to it being unable to replicate the on-road airflow currents and underbonnet temperatures.
From the results of real on-road testing, monitoring engine air and fuel flow rates, combined with acceleration rates I am convinced this is a worthwhile mod. Best bit is that its free !

Andy

jaypug 07 February 2008 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Andy.F (Post 7632533)
Yes it is, especially on version 5 and 6. Also close off the hole in the inner wing that the original air inlet fed through. The result is that you have reduced the flow restriction to the turbo and you are now taking the air from a colder area than originally directly beside the radiator.

Due to the method of airflow measurement on this particular model, this mod is unlikely to show any meaningfull difference on a rolling road, this is due to it being unable to replicate the on-road airflow currents and underbonnet temperatures.
From the results of real on-road testing, monitoring engine air and fuel flow rates, combined with acceleration rates I am convinced this is a worthwhile mod. Best bit is that its free !

Andy

Thanks for the advise. People say you need to map your car when you have done this mod?? What are your views on this??

Andy.F 07 February 2008 08:49 PM

To achieve the best gains then ideally yes. Best done at the same time as other mods such as a decat and remap.
If you are not doing any other mods then I'd leave well alone !

RBGUS 07 February 2008 09:24 PM

There you go jay probably the best advice you'll get.
Thanks andy :thumb:

harvey 10 February 2008 11:45 PM

Without doing additional work, the airflow past the MAF sensor is disrupted and this will lead to a reduction in power. It could also run the engine dangerously lean in some circumstances.