ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   oil pump (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/665059-oil-pump.html)

shogo10 04 February 2008 12:04 PM

oil pump

HI
Is there a way of telling if the oil pump is on it's way out would it bring on a CEL thing is i don't have a oil pressure gauge? Where would the oil pump be located on a 1996 wrx import?

cheers

steve

Slowboy Racing 04 February 2008 08:07 PM

No the easy way is to fit a gauge, pump is located behind crank pulley.

chris_wrx 04 February 2008 08:17 PM

if you want a spare let me know 30 quid all in

shogo10 04 February 2008 10:26 PM

Cheers chris i may take u up on that offer PM me with pictures and make does it come with full fitting instructions as i have heard they can be a pig to fit..

Is it electronic or mechanical?

steve

Mark A 04 February 2008 11:11 PM

Mechanical and sat on the end of the crank just behind the crank pulley. Dont believe it would activate the CEL as you have a low oil pressure warning light.

Why do you think its not working.

I'd suggest to chat to one of the online experts David at API, Paul at Zen or Mark at Lateral to name a few

Slowboy Racing 05 February 2008 09:26 AM

No you wouldn’t get a CEL only your oil warning light as said.

The gears in the pump rarely fail, oil pressure problems due to the pump are usually caused by the relief valve sticking or the back plate working its way loose either way it’s something that is usually found out to late, its also worth remembering the oil pump is not the only cause for pressure drop.

If you’re concerned about your oil pressure for a reason i would suggest fitting a gauge as suggested, you can do this via the oil pressure sender on the top of the block or have a garage do this for you. Failing that you can have the pump inspected as above.

There are also tell tale sighs of falling oil pressure like oil light staying on longer on start up, hydraulic tappets nosier than usual and so on.

Also it’s worth pointing out having oil pumps inspected on higher mileage cars when having cam belts changed.

shogo10 05 February 2008 10:57 AM

Would anyone have one of the electronic ones for sale with pod and fitting instructions that i could have for a reasonable price??

DOn't fancy the mechanical ones as they send hot oil up to the gauge and if it leaks oil all over the cabin :(

Henrik 05 February 2008 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by shogo10 (Post 7627130)
Would anyone have one of the electronic ones for sale with pod and fitting instructions that i could have for a reasonable price??

DOn't fancy the mechanical ones as they send hot oil up to the gauge and if it leaks oil all over the cabin :(

They're not too expensive to be honest.

An electrical oil pressure gauge will probably have an 1/8npt threaded sensor, which does not fit in the standard oil pressure sender thread.

The standard sender is under the alternator, btw.

I've gotten myself an adaptor from LMA performance (LMA Performance Homepage - UK Supplier of Car / Automobile Custom Parts and Accessories) - article number LMA095/1/300. I believe they also sell gauges. Not sure if they're the most accurate, but at least you'll be able to tell if the oil pressure suddenly changes from the normal pressure to drastically lower.

You could also have a look for gauges and pods on ebay, as they seem quite cheap on there.

shogo10 05 February 2008 11:16 AM

I saw this one on ebay as it matches my volt gauge that i have would this be and electrical one and it does say it comes with full fitting kit and instruction so may come with the adaptor for the sender..

ELECTRO-LUMINESCENT OIL PRESSURE GAUGE & FITTING KIT on eBay, also Dial, Dash Switch Custom'n, Interior Styling, Car Tuning Styling, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 07-Feb-08 16:41:14 GMT)

Tell me what you think

Henrik 05 February 2008 11:26 AM

IMO that should be fine, but let someone else comment first as well :)

With regards to the fitting kit, I personally doubt that it comes with the correct fittings, however if you order it and it turns out to have just a 1/8npt sender (or something else that doesn't fit), you could just order the fitting kit from LMA above as they seem to be very good on delivery times (ordered mine at lunch time and had it delivered the next day). I think LMA also do custom fitting kits, so even if it's a weird sender thread you should still be able to get an adaptor from them.

Mark A 05 February 2008 07:57 PM

I have SPA dual oil temp & pressure but cost about £120. The one you have highlighted will do the job I'm sure

Mark A

shogo10 05 February 2008 10:38 PM

Does anyone have a mechanical one fitted to their car and if so is it easier to fit than the mechanical one and have you had any problems with it i.e leaks?
Sorry for the questons just want to be sure :)

Cheers

Henrik 05 February 2008 11:08 PM

I wouldn't go with a mechanical one, as that means having an oil feed into your cabin. For boost mechanical is fine, but I wouldn't do it for oil pressure.