ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Smoke on boost? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/664156-smoke-on-boost.html)

scoobyhep 31 January 2008 05:30 PM

Smoke on boost?

Noticed it today. Often very smokey on start up in the mornings anyway.

But driving home today when overtaking using boost I could see a little smoke through my rear view mirror.

Could it be cos it was cold today or could it be something worse :wonder:

:thumb:

scoobyhep 31 January 2008 08:25 PM

Anyone? :notworthy

amego 31 January 2008 08:35 PM

mines the same evry year in the cold

scoobz72 31 January 2008 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by scoobyhep (Post 7614301)
Noticed it today. Often very smokey on start up in the mornings anyway.

But driving home today when overtaking using boost I could see a little smoke through my rear view mirror.

Could it be cos it was cold today or could it be something worse :wonder:

:thumb:

Smoke or steam?

If its smoking from dump valve then i would suggest a compression test ASAP as one of the oil rings may have gone.

Sorry to worry you but this can happen.

amego 31 January 2008 08:47 PM

:iamwithst

dazdavies 31 January 2008 09:04 PM

Could be a few things:
Turbo Oil seal
Valve stem oil seals
pistons rings.

scoobyhep 31 January 2008 09:44 PM

It smells of smoke fumes in the morning and usually goes when warm but its just today I noticed it. Its white smokeby the way

Recently had the engine rebuilt so I'm hopeing nothing is wrong with that.

How can you test if the turbo is on its way out?

dazdavies 31 January 2008 11:37 PM

Take the inlet off and check for play in the compressor wheel.
Look for oil in the intercooler and also the throttle body.

finalzero 01 February 2008 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by dazdavies (Post 7615565)
Take the inlet off and check for play in the compressor wheel.
Look for oil in the intercooler and also the throttle body.

As above, I did the same as mine smoked white on start up in the morning. Normally after warming it up then driving to work noticed the smoke was gone.

I put mine down to my exhaust setup (3" straight through from turbo down) but you can never be too careful with turbo cars.

projectsubaru 01 February 2008 12:44 AM

mine doesnt moke at all just condensation on start up with a decatted system, Can tell by the oil usage if its oil or condensation :). You should get it checked out just to be safe.

scoobz72 01 February 2008 09:41 AM

Another bit of advice, if there is oil residue around the dump valve then its certainly a dropped ring. Just a quick clean followed by a brisk drive will show this up.

In all cases, i recommend you get this looked at, as mentioned, you can never tell with a turbo.

:)

snowyEJ20 01 February 2008 03:17 PM

I'm not 100% sure bout this but it might help with your problem. I would recomend looking for a small boost leak. I wouldn't be too concerned bout having oil in the inlet cause the engine vents oil vapours into the inlet side so they can be burnt off. Thats why some people install catch tanks. Was it a cold day when you noticed the smoke? Have you any mods?

J0NTHELEGEND 01 February 2008 03:32 PM

turbo oil seals mate i should not smoke if its cold or warm sounds like the seals

scoobyhep 02 February 2008 03:19 AM

Thanks so much guys!!! It was a cold day and I have got a 3" TURBO BACK SYSTEM. I'll check DV as soon as and intercooler but as far as I can see there is no oil leaking.
However I have just had an oil change and it was loosing oil before. This was after the engine build so I don't know what to think!!!
Thanks for all your input and I will try and go through everything you guys have said in the morning. :) If you think of anything else that might of caused the problem, let me know. :)

Great sight. Thanks again :thumb: