ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   propshaft/gearbox oil seal (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/664122-propshaft-gearbox-oil-seal.html)

euan_r 31 January 2008 02:45 PM

propshaft/gearbox oil seal

got a slight leak from end of gearbox where propshaft slots in. had gearbox off a couple of months ago to do clutch. i presume theres a seal and ive put dirt or nicked it removing prop.

can this seal be done with gearbox still on car and is it easy job? ie anybody got instruction or owt. :thumb:

done a search but to no avail.

911 31 January 2008 05:59 PM

Good question.
Just looked at my spare gearbox and the seal can be hooked straight out with the prop out.
With the prop pulled, the seal is right on the end of the box fully visible. Remember the oil will come out when you pull the prop!
Refit the new seal carefully/right way round and job done.
Thus box stays in place.
Hours job at most?

Touch of box oil on the lip will help things a treat before slipping the prop back.

euan_r 31 January 2008 08:13 PM

thanks 911. it was the answer i was hoping for :luxhello: bit of a job lying on your back trying to offer gearbox up, next time im buying transmission jack :brickwall

911 01 February 2008 07:30 AM

You must be
Mad without one
King Kong without one!

The Draper trans jack is perfect for the job, used mine 6 times now.

One trick would be to jack the rear of the car way up so the oil stays more in the box, easy to drop the prop and access to the pesky seal.
:D

dazdavies 01 February 2008 12:01 PM

As Graham says its a doddle.

6 propshaft rear cover bolts (14mm)

4 propshaft to diff bolts 12mm

2 Centre propshaft bolts (17mm)

Undo prop from diff, lower rear off prop and gentley slide prop out from gearbox.

Swap seal, wipe some clean oil on the lip of the seal and gently slide in the prop and refit.

If you think the five speed was difficult you should try fitting a six speed on your own, on a driveway in the pissing rain using axle stands. Now that is a fooking nightmare!!! Achieved it none the less :D

Daz

911 01 February 2008 06:04 PM

Daz conforms to definition (1) &(2) above too....
:D

dazdavies 01 February 2008 06:18 PM

Hairy and insane?

Cheers buddy :lol1:

euan_r 01 February 2008 06:32 PM

cheers guys. em..maybe slightly mad and like a pie :lol1:

dont trust axle stands knocked car off them before, couple cement blocks under each wheel makes me feel safer.

Tiss 19 May 2008 02:04 PM

what about the rear diff and propshaft seal, is this the same? as in can it be done just by taking the propshaft out?

my car is a MY99 Type R?

thanks

euan_r 19 May 2008 05:19 PM

not sure mate but im doubtful that it will be so easy. prop bolts on to stub axle for rear diff. i presume this short axle goes all the way through diff and is secured though the crown. :(

somebody more knowledgable will be along later