ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   turbos? bhp? 1/4 mile? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/663350-turbos-bhp-1-4-mile.html)

big bad jon 28 January 2008 10:16 AM

turbos? bhp? 1/4 mile?

Hi all, went to santa pod for the first time yesterday on a rwyb, Ive got the bug!
my jdm wrx was consitantly running mid 13 sec. it has filter and exhaust + remap.
the only car that beat my on the strip was a 2005 evo running 365bhp he ran 12.8.
this leads me to my question.... how do i get into the 12's?

which turbo? i believe im running a td04, spool up is instant and I dont want to swap this for a laggy turbo, however i need more top end because this is clearly what kept my 1/4 mile times down. I beat every car to the halfway point easily, but most closed me down from then on. I would like a solid 350/350

turbo advice needed!

scoobyDAZZA 28 January 2008 11:36 AM

vf34 with supporting mods will see 350/350 ish

or a TD05/18g

remember the supporting mods though , full decat and another remap . STi injectors , walboro fuel pump.

New_scooby_04 28 January 2008 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by big bad jon (Post 7603871)
Hi all, went to santa pod for the first time yesterday on a rwyb, Ive got the bug!
my jdm wrx was consitantly running mid 13 sec. it has filter and exhaust + remap.
the only car that beat my on the strip was a 2005 evo running 365bhp he ran 12.8.
this leads me to my question.... how do i get into the 12's?

which turbo? i believe im running a td04, spool up is instant and I dont want to swap this for a laggy turbo, however i need more top end because this is clearly what kept my 1/4 mile times down. I beat every car to the halfway point easily, but most closed me down from then on. I would like a solid 350/350

turbo advice needed!

Jon,

If you're on the pod regularly, the first question to ask is whether you've budgeted for a gearbox upgrade. A bigger turbo can cause gearbox failure under normal driving conditions, let alone drag starts, which are cruel to the trasnmission.

Really, if you want 350bhp and similar torque (the latter kills the gearbox) and you're going to drag it regularly then you need to upgrade the box to PPG or similar spec (circa 2.5k).

As for a turbo, if you want the quickest spool next to TD04 it has to be the VF35, but this is unlikely to get to 350bhp, more like 330ish. Fantastic spool though! Whatever the turbo, you will need supporting mods and, of course, a remap.

Have a word with David at Api about a good set up, tell him Ns04 says hi :)

Ns04

andythejock01wrx 28 January 2008 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04 (Post 7604118)
Jon,

If you're on the pod regularly, the first question to ask is whether you've budgeted for a gearbox upgrade. A bigger turbo can cause gearbox failure under normal driving conditions, let alone drag starts, which are cruel to the trasnmission.

Really, if you want 350bhp and similar torque (the latter kills the gearbox) and you're going to drag it regularly then you need to upgrade the box to PPG or similar spec (circa 2.5k).

As for a turbo, if you want the quickest spool next to TD04 it has to be the VF35, but this is unlikely to get to 350bhp, more like 330ish. Fantastic spool though! Whatever the turbo, you will need supporting mods and, of course, a remap.

Have a word with David at Api about a good set up, tell him Ns04 says hi :)

Ns04

Is that you after your API commission again Paul ? :lol1: ;)

New_scooby_04 28 January 2008 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by andythejock01wrx (Post 7604270)
Is that you after your API commission again Paul ? :lol1: ;)

LOL :lol1: Nah, I'm just after my umber one salesman title back off 911 again. :D

Believe it or not, I'm not on comission, and David still owes me one of the famous APi butties. ;) :D

As you've found out David is just a good no-BS person to talk to when you're in a tight spot, even if you want to get the work done elsewhere.

Regarding the advice, thought the poster should be aware that bigger turbos and drag starts on std transmission, usually end in a buggered box sooner rather than later :)

big bad jon 28 January 2008 07:08 PM

thanks for the advice, I would really like to get into the 12's as not many cars seem to do this on rwyb.
I was under the impression being an import with a five speed the gearing was lower ratio than the uk cars, thus being able to handle a bit more hammer? perhaps I am miss informed?

I dont think I will be a regular weekend racer, but I would like to have that bit extra at the top end. I have been contemplating a vf34 but as you mentioned this is perhaps not capable of 350/350.

can anyone give me any gearbox advice? I do not have 2.5k to spend.
If my 5 speed is the week link, can I fit an sti 6 speed to my jdm?

wrxginge 28 January 2008 07:36 PM

Id say your gearbox should hold up for doing 12s. Ive ran a 12.2 on a standard gearbox before. Probably done 50+ launches on it before that aswell.

Im not saying it wont go bang eventually but might aswell get your moneys worth out of it first. Then worry about getting an uprated one.

New_scooby_04 28 January 2008 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by big bad jon (Post 7605248)
thanks for the advice, I would really like to get into the 12's as not many cars seem to do this on rwyb.
I was under the impression being an import with a five speed the gearing was lower ratio than the uk cars, thus being able to handle a bit more hammer? perhaps I am miss informed?

I dont think I will be a regular weekend racer, but I would like to have that bit extra at the top end. I have been contemplating a vf34 but as you mentioned this is perhaps not capable of 350/350.

can anyone give me any gearbox advice? I do not have 2.5k to spend.
If my 5 speed is the week link, can I fit an sti 6 speed to my jdm?

What age is the car mate?

Ns04

MartynJ 28 January 2008 09:19 PM

Would go for the VF34 myself , better turbo than the 35 and more top end potential......

New_scooby_04 28 January 2008 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by MartynJ (Post 7605930)
Would go for the VF34 myself , better turbo than the 35 and more top end potential......

Why is it better? The VF35 spools quicker, and can be had significantly cheaper. The 34s that I have seen have only made about 10-15bhp more on a similar set up....although TBF true like for like comparisons are somewhat rare! :)

big bad jon 28 January 2008 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04 (Post 7605569)
What age is the car mate?

Ns04

a 2003 jdm wrx

H4RDY-P1 28 January 2008 10:42 PM

I was running a vf35 last year at 340bhp (2000my P1) with usual supporting mods,and my best time was 12.6 @108 mph at santa pod,

New_scooby_04 28 January 2008 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by big bad jon (Post 7606233)
a 2003 jdm wrx

Hiya John,

Well, put it this way, if you're perpared for the cost when it breaks go ahead, it may last longer than we anticipate! You really need a 6 PPG to cope with more than the occassional drag starts under the kind of torque that a good VF34/35/Td05 18G can produce. ;)

My only concern is that you not be warned and have the car off the road for ages cause you weren't prepared.

Ns04

big bad jon 29 January 2008 06:47 PM

spoke to david at api, he is a very helpfull guy and i will be using him to help achieve my power goals. I think i will be going for the td05 16g with some fuelling mods this should see me get 350/350 and wont cost too much either!

with regard to the gearbox im going to drive it till it breaks! then go for the built 5 speed.

debbiesonic 29 January 2008 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by big bad jon (Post 7608469)

with regard to the gearbox im going to drive it till it breaks! then go for the built 5 speed.

Very wise, just what i was going to recommend.