ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Xbox360 - red ring of death explained by Microsoft insider (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/661473-xbox360-red-ring-of-death-explained-by-microsoft-insider.html)

spectrum48k 20 January 2008 01:18 PM

Xbox360 - red ring of death explained by Microsoft insider

8Bit Joystick.com: Inside Source Reveal the Truth About Xbox 360 "Red Ring of Death" Failures

Amongst other things, rushed to market to beat Sony and used cheap heatsinks

jpor 20 January 2008 03:08 PM

Ummm.. Interesting. Noticed that even the newer models they relaese still have a 10% of failure. Nice! :nono:

bob269 20 January 2008 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by jpor (Post 7580158)
Ummm.. Interesting. Noticed that even the newer models they relaese still have a 10% of failure. Nice! :nono:

Thats still a better figure that the ps2 dvd drive failure ;)

Awesomepossum 21 January 2008 12:16 AM

Always knew it was a rush job by Microshaft

Still failing after 2 years development is not good for a company the size if MS

Sent mine back after suffering from the RROD, sent it back to MS in a PS3 box

Dream Weaver 21 January 2008 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by bob269 (Post 7582040)
Thats still a better figure that the ps2 dvd drive failure ;)

Its a full on MS fanboy that would bring the PS2 into a PS3/360 debate arena ;)

Its unacceptable that the 360 still isn't reliable, I panic whenever I switch mine on in case I get the RROD, my PS3 doesn't induce such a state and my PS2 still works after 7 years, problem free :)

Fact is the 360 was obviously released unfinished - people moan about the PS3 arriving a year late, but it works, it's quiet, it doesn't fail and it has controllers with proper rechargable batteries, built in wi-fi, decent HDD etc.

From owning both, the PS3 is the better overall package.

gotmashed 21 January 2008 07:11 PM

I would rather wait for a finished ps3/xbox than a rushed one

StickyMicky 21 January 2008 07:36 PM

found a ps2 in the bin at work that we put outside next to the vacuum bunkers.

drive fault

brought it inside, took it apart and clicked the lens adjustment a few notches and it worked fine, flogged it on ebay for £45 :D

G/F has just came in before asking if i have messed with the 360 "as its went all funny and froze" :eek: :D

bejeweled 2 had locked up :eek:

having trouble logging into XBL again by the looks of it :rolleyes:

phil_wrx 22 January 2008 07:29 AM

yeh my xbl wouldnt log in so i couldnt look in my arcade or on marketplace but i could still play call of duty 4 on live?

StickyMicky 22 January 2008 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by phil_wrx (Post 7585574)
yeh my xbl wouldnt log in so i couldnt look in my arcade or on marketplace but i could still play call of duty 4 on live?

you can sign out, look at your games, and then play them :) did this a few times myself

HPLovecraft 22 January 2008 01:14 PM

Heh

I remember having slanging matches with MS fanboys on the failure rate issue

They defended the <5% figure touted by MS to the hilt when it was obvoius from the sheer amount of anecdotal evidence flooding the net that there was some serious design flaws and 5% was a laughably small figure.

Wonder what they've got to say for themselves now :p

AllanB 22 January 2008 02:50 PM

I;ve had 7 in just over a year. Shamefully piss poorly made but then it is MS so you have to expect the Xbox to be as shoddy as their OS and software.

Office 2008 a great example 3 pages of major bugs including it not working with the previous versions on Mac and PC , doh !!!

Staff on Xbox support line variable too. One guy just hung up on me today. Charming.

Mistake on his part as a friend of mine is the big cheese of the Xbox division.

AllanB

PeteBrant 22 January 2008 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by AllanB (Post 7586546)
IMistake on his part as a friend of mine is the big cheese of the Xbox division.

You would have thought he could have sorted you out with a working Xbox,.

StickyMicky 22 January 2008 05:32 PM

that is what i was thinking ;)

gotmashed 22 January 2008 07:43 PM

allenb have you posted this on xbox.com if not someone else is having the same problems as you.

Oh and im now on my 7th as my new elite died this afternoon 1 year and 3 months and 7 xbox's nice

AndyC_772 22 January 2008 07:54 PM

Very interesting article, and obviously written by someone who is an expert in electronics manufacture. Thanks for the link.

PeteBrant 22 January 2008 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by AndyC_772 (Post 7587468)
Very interesting article, and obviously written by someone who is an expert in electronics manufacture. Thanks for the link.

He said some of the right hings in the right order - but make some schoolboy errors - Example Pb free solder melts at around 260-270C (depending on the solder) not at over 300C

Bloody amatuer :D