ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Is It Me Or Has Free Speech (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/660444-is-it-me-or-has-free-speech.html)

Supercue 16 January 2008 09:17 AM

Is It Me Or Has Free Speech

On SN all but disappeared?:wonder:

[Davey] 16 January 2008 09:18 AM

Its not that free speech has disappeared its just that someone who is running the site is under the impression that they can be sued for what is said on here.. Deluded some what!

Bravo2zero_sps 16 January 2008 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by pslewis (Post 7566574)
We all know the answer to that one - to raise your question is probably going to result in an Infraction .......... ****, I've mentioned the word Infraction, BOLLOX, where is the delete key????

Now look you know you had your final warning yesterday now stop being a naughty boy and go and stand in the corner for 2 weeks.

Graz 16 January 2008 09:23 AM

Last edited by Webmaster : Today at 09:24.

SwissTony 16 January 2008 09:26 AM

its okay guys, my other alias on here is DCI GENE HUNT :thumb:

pslewis 16 January 2008 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by ************** (Post 7566578)
Now look you know you had your final warning yesterday now stop being a naughty boy and go and stand in the corner for 2 weeks.

OH, NO!!!

Don't make me sit on the 'Naughty Step' ...... Please ...... I only made a lighthearted joke in Policy yesterday :cry:

AND, YOU got told off as well because you sniggered at my joke, nah, nah, nee, nah nahhhhhhhhhhhhhh :lol1:

Nate 16 January 2008 09:36 AM

Public forum/freedom of speech of users I think has got less and less since IB took over, maybe they should read the disclaimer, which is at the bottom of each page if they are worried about legal action :-

Important - Opinions expressed are not necessarily the opinions of ScoobyNet or any individuals directly or indirectly involved in this website or the companies and individuals associated with it. No responsibility is taken or assumed for any comments or statements made on this or any associated or relating bulletin board. Your personal information will be kept private except to comply with applicable laws or valid legal reasons.

FriarTook 16 January 2008 09:41 AM

If you find that the facts don't support our Policies ..... please speak up.

http://www.clipartof.com/images/clip..._his_mouth.jpg

Supercue 16 January 2008 09:52 AM

Very valid Nate:thumb:

Nate 16 January 2008 10:03 AM

Well, I thought that was the whole point of a "Disclaimer"

Must also say, the sticky at the top of NSR seems a little Hitleresque !

If you are a 'Yesman' you can stay :)

[Davey] 16 January 2008 10:11 AM

Ja Voll!

Mein Führer!

DCI Gene Hunt 16 January 2008 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by SwissTony (Post 7566585)
its okay guys, my other alias on here is DCI GENE HUNT :thumb:

ergo... I can also pop round to see your, I mean my missus :D *rubs hands*.....

New_scooby_04 16 January 2008 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt (Post 7566697)

Are you really rubbing your hands DCI? ;) :D

DCI Gene Hunt 16 January 2008 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04 (Post 7566702)
Are you really rubbing your hands DCI? ;) :D

Yes, but I never said on what ;) :o

Nate 16 January 2008 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt (Post 7566697)

:lol:

NACRO 16 January 2008 10:22 AM

Free speech would have had to have existed in the first place for it to have disappeared.
The webmaster has stated on numerous occasions that scoobynet does not support the concept of free speech. Do a search on it.

davegtt 16 January 2008 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Supercue (Post 7566565)
Is It Me Or Has Free Speech On SN all but disappeared?:wonder:

Nope, nothing at all changed, say what you want when you want ;)

p.s. if you create an allias or 2 dont make it known who you are, Webby hides your posts to everybody other than yourself so you think youre posting as per normal but nobody can see you ;)

Nate 16 January 2008 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by NACRO (Post 7566709)
Free speech would have had to have existed in the first place for it to have disappeared.
The webmaster has stated on numerous occasions that scoobynet does not support the concept of free speech. Do a search on it.

Maybe a re-naming is in order ....... Maybe 'communistnet'

Devildog 16 January 2008 10:52 AM

Disclaimers are not always able to be found upon in law, hence the stance taken on legal issues.

Freedom of speach must be taken in the context of personal opinions or points of fact. The pont that you can't libel or defame a pseudonym (with certain reservations where the pseudonym is clearly recognisable as the person) must also be considered.

Hence - "the webmaster is a facist dictator" is, without proof, either libel or defamation (depending upon where in the UK you are based).

whereas, "the webmaster is, in my opinion, exhibiting the traits of a facist dictator" completely acceptable in law and hence ok. Although it might receive an infraction depending upon the individual's sensitivity to the issue.

or, and perhaps more topically,

"Those who issue multiple infractions because they disagree with a point of view are pathetic saddos with no life" would, whilst not necessarily be libel or defamation and hence should be allowable under freedom of speach, probably result in an infraction, perhaps, ironically, for being in many cases factually correct?

[Davey] 16 January 2008 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Devildog (Post 7566785)
Disclaimers are not always able to be found upon in law, hence the stance taken on legal issues.

Freedom of speach must be taken in the context of personal opinions or points of fact. The pont that you can't libel or defame a pseudonym (with certain reservations where the pseudonym is clearly recognisable as the person) must also be considered.

Hence - "the webmaster is a facist dictator" is, without proof, either libel or defamation (depending upon where in the UK you are based).

whereas, "the webmaster is, in my opinion, exhibiting the traits of a facist dictator" completely acceptable in law and hence ok. Although it might receive an infraction depending upon the individual's sensitivity to the issue.

"Those who issue multiple infractions because they disagree with a point of view are pathetic saddos with no life" would, whilst not necessarily be libel or defamation and hence should be allowable under freedom of speach, probably result in an infraction, perhaps, ironically, for being in many cases factually correct?

Will you have my babies?

New_scooby_04 16 January 2008 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Devildog (Post 7566785)

I don't see how someone can be infracted for criticising the giver of an infraction since no-one other than the person who issued the infraction (and the webby, if he is asked to investigate) knows who it is from. Therefore, by definition, you can't have insulted another member because no other member has been identified.

Ns04

DCI Gene Hunt 16 January 2008 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by davegtt (Post 7566727)
Nope, nothing at all changed, say what you want when you want ;)

p.s. if you create an allias or 2 dont make it known who you are, Webby hides your posts to everybody other than yourself so you think youre posting as per normal but nobody can see you ;)

Is it me or did anyone else hear something :Suspiciou

Morning dave :D

Devildog 16 January 2008 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04 (Post 7566802)
I don't see how someone can be infracted for criticising the giver of an infraction since no-one other than the person who issued the infraction (and the webby, if he is asked to investigate) knows who it is from. Therefore, by definition, you can't have insulted another member because no other member has been identified.

Ns04

I absolutely agree, but, in my opinion, that doesn't stop certain members issuing infractions for that very reason, who should, according to the rules if i have read them correctly, be banned for abuse of the system.

davegtt 16 January 2008 11:14 AM

Good Morning Gene, nice to be back without the face mask on :D

DCI Gene Hunt 16 January 2008 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by davegtt (Post 7566823)
Good Morning Gene, nice to be back without the face mask on :D

Good to see you back fella.... I've been so confused I'd couldn't work out who you were :lol1:

davegtt 16 January 2008 11:26 AM

Confused myself with which names I was playing about with there was that many, even kept an account active too confuse webby so he didnt follow my trail with mulitpile usernames :D

New_scooby_04 16 January 2008 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Devildog (Post 7566820)
I absolutely agree, but, in my opinion, that doesn't stop certain members issuing infractions for that very reason, who should, according to the rules if i have read them correctly, be banned for abuse of the system.

Maybe Gene should bring this up with his one-on-one thread with the webby?

Ns04

New_scooby_04 16 January 2008 11:32 AM

PS welcome back Dave.

In case you didn't see it

https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...e-you-bud.html

;) :D
Ns04

SJ_Skyline 16 January 2008 11:35 AM

Welcome back Dave, seems like the "Free the gtt one" campaign was successful :D

davegtt 16 January 2008 11:37 AM

:thumb: