ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Goldthorpe (Dearne Valley) Local Knowledge (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/660438-goldthorpe-dearne-valley-local-knowledge.html)

GC8 16 January 2008 08:49 AM

Goldthorpe (Dearne Valley) Local Knowledge

As title: does anyone know exactly where the 'dyke' is? It flooded badly in June this year, but thats all that I know. I cant find it on any maps that I have access to, nor can I make it out on any satellite mapping (Google's is clearest, but Ive failed so far).

Id be grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction, or even give directions I can follow on a satellite iomage, from the nearest roads.

Simon

superscoobx 16 January 2008 11:29 AM

try looking near lowfield Road, Bolton on Dearne, To be honest Goldthorpe is too high to flood.

behind the station at Bolton. that runs up towards barnbrough and goldthorpe there is a stream and a lot of flood plains. Thats the only place i can think of.

tmo 16 January 2008 01:08 PM

thought the dyke was down by the old petrol station before watermead etc. the river runs east to west or you could try the other end of the village on dearne road

Bolton brick ponds on Furlong road could be a good bet

GC8 16 January 2008 01:19 PM

Thanks to you both. I was surprised that it flooded, but she only moved back in just before new year, after flooding on the 25th of June!

Simon

GC8 16 January 2008 01:20 PM

Its definately a dyke that flooded and it is in Goldthorpe. If Lowfield Rd flooded it wouldnt be a great loss would it? Is there anything there beyond the station and No1?

tmo 16 January 2008 01:26 PM

Goldthorpe is too high to flood could be the houses on the right as you enter the village on mexborough road, little culdisac that backs on to the river.

tmo 16 January 2008 01:31 PM

Riverside Gardens

mazzeree 19 January 2008 02:56 PM

Hi There,

Not a scooby person but found your post whilst googling to see how my own local websites ratings were - Its based round S63. So I thought I'd answer you question.

The dyke is between Goldthorpe (East) Highgate end and top of Bolton upon Dearne.
It runs almost parallel to Highgate lane and is behind two mini estates - Milrace and Meadowbanks. This is where thr flood was.
It flooded in June because a water butt was blocking the outlet and it shouldn't happen again!! or so the environment agency say.
If your looking on google earth the Dyke is under the trees along the disused railway line to the left of Highgate lane (if North is Top)
Hope this helps - I have some piccys of the flood on my site but not Milrace and Meadowgates. There were so many places flooded I couldn't photo them all.
M

GC8 19 January 2008 03:19 PM

Thank you! It hasnt flooded even though it looked as though it would. We're standing by with sandbags though... Apparently there was a sofa blocking it on Wednesday!

Simon

SVXNUT 19 January 2008 05:51 PM

Dykes on BikesŪ

:norty: