ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Bank charges - charged £35 for being £1 over (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/660220-bank-charges-charged-35-for-being-1-over.html)

Aztec Performance Ltd 15 January 2008 01:42 PM

Bank charges - charged £35 for being £1 over

It's madness.

How does it cost the bank £35 in admin charges? Have had it happen twice now in a month.

Is the test case still at court re bank charges?

Bob

jaytc2003 15 January 2008 01:53 PM

think the case started yesterday.

The bank probably use special organically grown paper, with a handwriting expert who is brilliant at doing an Arial font (size 12). Stamps arent cheap either you know

Its a kin joke isnt it, I changed bank accounts last month and did the changeover forms etc, however I still got hit with a £100 charge in total for DD's that were refused. think it was £35 per dd that was refused, and then a further £15 per letter that was sent!

Sonic' 15 January 2008 02:13 PM

waits for the SN massive who say you should look after your account better and manage your finances so you dont go over drawn :)

My bank have put all their charges up, but renamed them all, so you can no longer even try and claim them back

Devildog 15 January 2008 02:16 PM

You should look after your account better and manage your finances so you don't go overdrawn :D

PeteBrant 15 January 2008 02:16 PM

There has to be some charge for going overdrawn. And I think £10-£15 is probably an acceptable amount.

However, when you get obvious penalising like this, then you can see why the issue is going to court.

dpb 15 January 2008 02:28 PM

gfriend has 'lost' thousands she reckons in this way - cant wait to see what happens

Tiggs 15 January 2008 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by BOB'5 (Post 7563959)
It's madness.

How does it cost the bank £35 in admin charges? Have had it happen twice now in a month.

Bob

it doest cost them....hence its not legal.....hence the court case.

that aside...look after your money better ;)

fivetide 15 January 2008 03:06 PM

YouTube - Bank Charges Anthem - "I fought the Lloyds" by Oystar

5t

jaytc2003 15 January 2008 03:06 PM

you can buy 500 sheets of a4 for about £2, laserjet printer cartridge about £100 tops, however this will do circa 10,000 prints, business post say 30pence, envelope (probably bought in bulk but go for 5p)

So

100/10000 (printer cartridge and max copies) = 0.01p

2.5 sheets of paper = 0.01p

envelope = 5p (very generous I know)

Business post = 30p (again probably a bit generous)

total a very respectable 37p

Factor in a very generous amount of £5 for an hours work for a yts and that comes to £5.37

God I should have been better at managing my accounts :lol1:

Brendan Hughes 15 January 2008 03:20 PM

BBC NEWS | Business | Are penalty charges bank robbery?

Latest news BBC NEWS | Business | Bank charges court test to open

alcazar 15 January 2008 03:39 PM

Sorry, but call me a cynic if you will.

Leaving aside whether the charges are fair, legal etc, does anyone else but me expect this to go the same way as the case of Idris Francis vs the UK government went?

That's to say, for some reason NO legal, other than the judge, can determine, it'll go in favour of the banks, ................and just watch the Labour ministers joining those self-same banks once they aren't ministers any more;)

Oh, and don't forget the "donations/loans" to Labour at the next election.:mad: NOT from the banks, of course;) ;)

Alcazar (cynic):D

Tiggs 15 January 2008 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by jaytc2003 (Post 7564218)
you can buy 500 sheets of a4 for about £2, laserjet printer cartridge about £100 tops, however this will do circa 10,000 prints, business post say 30pence, envelope (probably bought in bulk but go for 5p)

So

100/10000 (printer cartridge and max copies) = 0.01p

2.5 sheets of paper = 0.01p

envelope = 5p (very generous I know)

Business post = 30p (again probably a bit generous)

total a very respectable 37p

Factor in a very generous amount of £5 for an hours work for a yts and that comes to £5.37

God I should have been better at managing my accounts :lol1:

from the banks perspective you have missed the point - if i take £100 off you without your permision and you have to right me a letter asking to have a back do you think you would be happy for me to add a few pence for your stamp and act like nothing happened?

Chrisgr31 15 January 2008 03:44 PM

The OP got off lightly, because some banks will charge you £35 for processing something that takes you overdrawn, plus £35 for going overdrawn plus £35 for writing to give you the good news. The result being that you end up with £115 in charges for going over bya few pounds.

The other cunning trick is to stop a Direct Debit payment out of your acoount because it would take you over your limit and charge you £35 for the privledge, then the recipient which could of course be the same bank will charge you £35 for not making the payment on time!

StickyMicky 15 January 2008 03:47 PM

could be worse, i`m currently getting charged 75quid a quarter for admin bollocks and i`m never over drawn (business account with some cash in it)

some of my admin fees include "paying in" LOL

New_scooby_04 15 January 2008 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by BOB'5 (Post 7563959)
It's madness.

Bob

1 pound for the admin, 34 pounds for a decent bottle of bubbly for bank's xmas bash ;) :D

StickyMicky 15 January 2008 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04 (Post 7564327)
1 pound for the admin, 34 pounds for a decent bottle of bubbly for bank's xmas bash ;) :D

he has been "hoiked" in good and proper

stop carping on :lol:

YouTube - Nationwide Advert Annoying Bank Manager Fishing Haul Hook

gazza-uk 15 January 2008 05:49 PM

refund the penalty if you do it once, after that your on your own..

kingofturds 15 January 2008 06:00 PM

Halifax by any chance:D Those muppets accidently stuck £7k in my account. I contacted them and they said they would sort it. Went to draw some money out a few days later and they had put me £7k in the red:eek: I must have racked up about £300 in bank charges before the muppets sorted it out
(funny how it took them 24 hours to remove the money but 3 days to put £7k back)

speedking 15 January 2008 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Chrisgr31 (Post 7564310)
The OP got off lightly, [b]£35 plus £35 plus £35 The result being £115 in charges

Boy they really do add it on don't they;) Hope you don't work in a bank :lol1:

andy97 15 January 2008 06:34 PM

Everytime I go beyond my overdraft limit, I walk into the bank and ask for the money to repaid or cancel the charge they want to apply. Upto press it has been repaid without any argument.

Tiggs 15 January 2008 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by andy97 (Post 7564938)
Everytime I go beyond my overdraft limit, I walk into the bank and ask for the money to repaid or cancel the charge they want to apply. Upto press it has been repaid without any argument.

you either work next door to a bank or value your time very little!

andy97 15 January 2008 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Tiggs (Post 7565001)
you either work next door to a bank or value your time very little!

I havent worked for years :D rich wife.

Gordo 15 January 2008 08:13 PM

You went overdrawn and were penalised, applying the terms you signed up to when you opened the account. what are you complaining about ???

I don't understand how people can claim the banks should only charge what it costs them - IT'S A PENALTY to deter people from going overdrawn. It doesn't sound like it's enough IMO.

dpb 15 January 2008 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Gordo (Post 7565354)
You went overdrawn and were penalised, applying the terms you signed up to when you opened the account. what are you complaining about ???

I don't understand how people can claim the banks should only charge what it costs them - IT'S A PENALTY to deter people from going overdrawn. It doesn't sound like it's enough IMO.

are you havin a larf - how do you imagine banks make money..! :lol1:

Gordo 15 January 2008 08:30 PM

They make it from corporate lending and, increasingly, equity investing - high street accounts are a necessary evil for most of them. i.e. they make very little from providing generally free banking services to consumers.

Lisawrx 15 January 2008 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Gordo (Post 7565354)

I don't totally disagree with some sort of charge for going overdrawn, however, maybe the crime should fit the punishment. He only went £1 over. Yes, that is still overdrawn, but it seems a little harsh to charge someone £35 for being all of £1 over.

jaytc2003 15 January 2008 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Tiggs (Post 7564304)
from the banks perspective you have missed the point - if i take £100 off you without your permision and you have to right me a letter asking to have a back do you think you would be happy for me to add a few pence for your stamp and act like nothing happened?

:wonder:
lost me on this, I havent taken £100 from the bank

little-ginge 15 January 2008 09:22 PM

I went just over £1 overdrawn recently - a cheque I had made out at the start of Nov wasn't drawn on till nearly Christmas - and tbh I had forgotten about it.

I noticed and transferred some money to cover it - I had a payment of £400 going in the next day any way, but thought I should just cover myself.

So for being £1.09 IIRC overdrawn for less than 3 hours, Barclays Bank charged me £25.

I phoned up and gave them some grief - and they rebated my charges immediately.

I can understand these charges if someone is either a) going overdrawn on a regular basis and/or b) is overdrawn by a large amount ..

but £25 for a squid? the original offending cheque was less than £25 for gawds sake!

Shark Man 15 January 2008 10:20 PM

It's why I don't use direct debit....its fine when amounts and billing periods don't change and the the money paid in via my income/automated transfers keeps things topped up.

But in the short space of time (not including postage time) of mandatory notice a company has to give before messing about with a DD payment and do it anyway before you have chance to rearrange the cashflow, your overdrawn and fined. Often being overdrawn by insignificant amounts purely due to the upset timings in the cashflow in and out of the account.

It's happened to me too many times whilst I was out the country and almost powerless to do anything about it.

[Davey] 15 January 2008 10:24 PM

Its a bank not a charity!

Thanks to all of these people claiming back their charges I am now probably going to have to pay for my banking and I've never been over drawn in my LIFE!..

Cheers!

lol :D

TIP: Dont spend money you havent got..