ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Air Rifles (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/659715-air-rifles.html)

theboy 13 January 2008 05:04 PM

Air Rifles

Just started shooting again, just targets at the moment untill i get to a decnt standard again. Using my old spring rifle and scope at the moment, but i am thinking of upgrading to one of these new precharged multishot rifles. Anyone else on here shoot or have any advice on these things

mad555 13 January 2008 05:51 PM

Get a BSA Super10 had one for 18 months now great little gun.Plus has a 10 shot magazine as standard.Mine is a FAC model with 28ft/lb.Although have a mate with a Theoben Rapid 7 with 65ft/lb!!.

Ian 13 January 2008 05:51 PM

the air arms s200 is a nice very light per charged. it comes single shot bolt action, but can buy a kit to make it into a multi shot.

would say up to 12lbft power (able to tweek if needed) light weight, and silenced, the only down side is the amount of air it holds, but still good for 100+ shots before refil.

ian

boxst 13 January 2008 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by mad555 (Post 7557869)
Get a BSA Super10 had one for 18 months now great little gun.Plus has a 10 shot magazine as standard.Mine is a FAC model with 28ft/lb.Although have a mate with a Theoben Rapid 7 with 65ft/lb!!.

In the UK 12ft/lb is the legal limit without a licence (I thought in NI as well?). Having an air rifle with higher power is a firearms "5 years in jail" type offence.

Steve

mad555 13 January 2008 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by boxst (Post 7557950)
In the UK 12ft/lb is the legal limit without a licence (I thought in NI as well?). Having an air rifle with higher power is a firearms "5 years in jail" type offence.

Steve

If you had read my post you would see its a FAC model,all firearms in Northern Ireland have to be on a Firearms certificate,so no 5 years in jail for me.:) :)

superscoobx 13 January 2008 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by mad555 (Post 7558016)
If you had read my post you would see its a FAC model,all firearms in Northern Ireland have to be on a Firearms certificate,so no 5 years in jail for me.:) :)

how many shot's do you get per charge?

I would consider a rim fire alternative if you use that kind of power. it cant be accurate and must only get 6-10 shots per charge.

A .22 rimfire will be around 300lb's and more than likely go on the same FAC.

mad555 13 January 2008 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by superscoobx (Post 7558320)

I would consider a rim fire alternative if you use that kind of power. it cant be accurate and must only get 6-10 shots per charge.

Please explain your conclusions.

T5OLF 13 January 2008 08:31 PM

I would of thought you would get 45 full power shots from a rapid at the power.

Simon C 13 January 2008 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by superscoobx (Post 7558320)

.22 subsonics are about 100 ft/lbs

Whats the budget for the new rifle??? You can have a S200 for about £300 up to Ripleys at over £1000.

superscoobx 13 January 2008 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by mad555 (Post 7558498)
Please explain your conclusions.

Experience of owning both.

a semi auto Ruger rimfire, and Rapid 7.

At higher power the Rapid 7 wasnt very accurate over 50 yard's, Wasnt very effective where as the rimfire was better all round.

The rapid 7 could manage max 12 shots on a full charge, where as the rimfire could shoot all day, made going out for full days easier and much more enjoyable.

RMA26 14 January 2008 08:14 AM

I’ve shot for years

If you ask me, ditch the air rifle & look at getting a licence for the real thing

Simon C 14 January 2008 08:37 AM

You also assuming that the land he intends using it on will get FAC status.

Not all grounds will pass, where I shoot won't so that limits to air rifles only

dee052 14 January 2008 11:32 AM

Although have a mate with a Theoben Rapid 7 with 65ft/lb!!.

I assume your friend has a .25? As any other calibre pellet would skid trough the barrel and be very inaccurate indeed.

theboy 14 January 2008 06:04 PM

I am unsure as to how much to spend, i have seen a couple but i like the Wierach 100 which retails at about £650 from some internet retailers. As for rimfire, i actually shoot them at my local club. Its not worth the hassle of getting a FAC and also the permission required to shoot over land. Plus where is the skill if you shoot a rabbit with rimfire, you only have to clip the rabbit and it will be stone cold dead. Prefer to use a air rifle which normally requires a head shot.:thumb: :thumb:

Luminous 14 January 2008 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by theboy (Post 7557698)
Just started shooting again, just targets at the moment untill i get to a decnt standard again. Using my old spring rifle and scope at the moment, but i am thinking of upgrading to one of these new precharged multishot rifles. Anyone else on here shoot or have any advice on these things

The best advice I can give is to find a local club where you like the people. Then you can head down there and try their kit, most people will be more than happy to let you try their rifles. Since you already shoot you pretty much know this. Different kit will suit different people. I like my S410 carbine. I have a big diameter scope that allows for shooting in low light. Its nothing fancy, but its accurate, and the pressure gauge is a must have for me.

Unless you have a specific purpose for shooting, then its the people you will be shooting with that will make or break the sport. For me, it was the later. They were more into their full cammo gear, knives and god knows what else. I didn't fit in. I felt no need to pack a bunch of knives to take down to the air rifle club and sit there looking hard with them. Nor did I feel the need to adorn my gun with endless chrome items to make it look like some sort of extra from a Hollywood movie.

I've not managed to find another club at the moment. I don't want a small indoor range. I'd like to find somewhere where the people are friendly and can have a little bit of fun. In today's climate thats hard, as guns are all evil attitude seems to reign forcing more clubs to close :(

Rapid17 14 January 2008 11:22 PM

Loads of information here matey AirgunBBS.com - The #1 airgun, shooting and outdoor sports BBS

Geoff. :thumb:

shooter007 15 January 2008 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by theboy (Post 7561302)
I am unsure as to how much to spend, i have seen a couple but i like the Wierach 100 which retails at about £650 from some internet retailers. As for rimfire, i actually shoot them at my local club. Its not worth the hassle of getting a FAC and also the permission required to shoot over land. Plus where is the skill if you shoot a rabbit with rimfire, you only have to clip the rabbit and it will be stone cold dead. Prefer to use a air rifle which normally requires a head shot.:thumb: :thumb:

head shots are ok if you dont miss and contrary to belief we do rather have more power than less having said that spent most of my youth with a bsa fantastic fun and wouldnt knock air guns best time of my life:) :) :) :)

Jamie 15 January 2008 08:01 PM

Weihrauch HW97K underlever:thumb:

gatty 15 January 2008 08:06 PM

i have just started shooting again, i got the theoben pre charged and get about 250 shots per charge.Great gun!

i will be moving to the sticks in the next few months so i will be shooting more than just maggpies.

might even get into shotguns just for the social side of it.

noobyscooby 15 January 2008 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by theboy (Post 7561302)

There's nothing like picking a off rabbit with a head shot from the bedroom window in the morning. There it is, eating the grass and it looks up. Crack! It takes a leap in the air as the back feet spasm and then keels over - dead as a do-do, not a flicker of life. Absolute magic!

Dave T-S 16 January 2008 02:15 PM

Back on thread, I also have a BSA Superten (in full cammo coat) and it is a nice gun. By coincidence I too have a FAC Rapid 7 MkII, but I kept mine down to 30 ft/lb firstly to get 90 shots per charge, and secondly because I have a .17 HMR for long range bunnies (oh, and a .243 on the way for serious stuff :D).

As per previous post get yourself over to AirgunBBS, but be prepared for 97 conflicting replies on what will be the best gun for you!

Most of all, have safe and fun shooting! :)

Simon C 16 January 2008 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by noobyscooby (Post 7566245)
There's nothing like picking a off rabbit with a head shot from the bedroom window in the morning. There it is, eating the grass and it looks up. Crack! It takes a leap in the air as the back feet spasm and then keels over - dead as a do-do, not a flicker of life. Absolute magic!

YOu forgot to mention the hot pan of garlic butter waiting for it to brown off just before you throw it in a casarole :D :luxhello:

BlkKnight 16 January 2008 02:23 PM

Weihrauch HW77K here

pimmo2000 16 January 2008 02:30 PM

Have to say I see little gain in killing things for fun.

If you eat it.. then fine.. but the whole need to make a head shot thing.. surely if you miss you're gonna make the little thing suffer ?

BlkKnight 16 January 2008 02:33 PM

we've a pigeon problem at work. . . .they need to be culled

Sadly as the only one who can shoot with any accuracy I get the job.

theboy 16 January 2008 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by noobyscooby (Post 7566245)

Only rabbit i see from my bedroom window is the vibrating kind:lol1: :lol1:

No seriously, i have been going to my local club and shooting both air rifles and rimfire. But i was told last night that somebody is selling a Wierach pcp 100. the one with the thumbhole stock, it comes with a spare buddy bottle. I have fired one of these before and with the name it carries its bound to be top quality. Also does anybody have a realistic range for a 12llb rifle.

Varboy 16 January 2008 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by *Jamie* (Post 7565295)
Weihrauch HW97K underlever:thumb:

Me too..

No chance to shoot it now so up for sale if anyone is interested.

Simon C 16 January 2008 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by theboy (Post 7568127)
Only rabbit i see from my bedroom window is the vibrating kind:lol1: :lol1:

No seriously, i have been going to my local club and shooting both air rifles and rimfire. But i was told last night that somebody is selling a Wierach pcp 100. the one with the thumbhole stock, it comes with a spare buddy bottle. I have fired one of these before and with the name it carries its bound to be top quality. Also does anybody have a realistic range for a 12llb rifle.

40 yards is an accepted kill range for 12 ft/lbs assuming you can hit a the target 10 / 10 times.

If not your max range is what you can hit reliably.

And thats the key, you have to be able to hit it, every time.

[Davey] 16 January 2008 07:19 PM

decided this was a bad post.. lol :D

theboy 16 January 2008 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Simon C (Post 7568162)
40 yards is an accepted kill range for 12 ft/lbs assuming you can hit a the target 10 / 10 times.

If not your max range is what you can hit reliably.

And thats the key, you have to be able to hit it, every time.

Thats a fair distance then since the shooting range is aprox 20 yards or 25 mtrs not sure which. I can hit the black every time if supported, free standing i vary but i have shot better using a pcp.