ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Can a scoob drive through water? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/659439-can-a-scoob-drive-through-water.html)

Scooby Soon! 12 January 2008 03:09 PM

Can a scoob drive through water?

On my normal blast to work this morning I encountered a "flood" sign at a railway bridge even though I drive under the bridge every day I couldnt remember how deep the dip in it was. I hung about for some else to go through it but the only car that did was a V8 discovery at about 40mph!

I couldnt figure out how deep it was as he went so through it so fast, but I would say around 12" at the deepest point can the scoob go through it or not?

Its a 2007 hawkeye wrx so I dont want to break it yet!

pimmo2000 12 January 2008 03:11 PM

Petrol cars dont like water !!

Get anything on the plugs etc and it will cut out.. also you're looking at rust and dirty and sh*t !!

Drive around !!

gallois 12 January 2008 03:20 PM

although i wouldn't do it, as i would be paranoid about inducting water.......... in an emergency, a foot of water should be no problem, just go slow as possible, keep revs up, and hope mr discovery doesn't come toward you at 40 with a 6ft bow wave. and 1st rule of fight club, never drive through a flood unless you know exactly how deep it is, walk through it if necessary first.

DannyBoy007 12 January 2008 05:52 PM

I got caught in the floods in july the evesham/tewkesbury, the car quite happly took them, I'd say to just under the the bottom of the doors.

As said just took it slow and tried to drive in the middle of the road as it's highest here.

ditchmyster 12 January 2008 06:02 PM

dont go too slow and keep the revs constant air intakes are at the edge of the bonnet so should be fine its actually diesels that realy dont like water especially vauxhalls as they have low air intakes i know this cos ive done it the boss was not pleased hydrostatic lock = new engine :nono:

pimmo2000 12 January 2008 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by ditchmyster (Post 7555189)
dont go too slow and keep the revs constant air intakes are at the edge of the bonnet so should be fine its actually diesels that realy dont like water especially vauxhalls as they have low air intakes i know this cos ive done it the boss was not pleased hydrostatic lock = new engine :nono:

My dad does it for fun.. or so it would seem and hes never needed a new engine.. AA just start it with some bits missing and the water shoots out

RON 12 January 2008 06:51 PM

I drove through 3 1/2 ft of water last week...... oh hang on, thats was in my offroading discovery with snorkel..LOL!!!!

It's worth checking where the air intake is on your car, and if in doubt, do not drive through it, if you feel really energetic, switch the engine off, and push the car through, although you might need some decent wellies...!!!

_Meridian_ 12 January 2008 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by RON (Post 7555339)
It's worth checking where the air intake is on your car

It's now in the driver's side front wing, near the bottom, so no bl**dy fear.

I once drove an old Peugeot 309 1.3GL across Lindesfarne causeway as the tide was coming in. Yes, I know it was stupid. A guy watching me said that on the last stretch (coming back to the mainland) the water was up over the numberplate. I could actually feel the car lifting off the ground due to buoyancy, but there was no damage.

M

WRX_Dazza 12 January 2008 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by _Meridian_ (Post 7555363)
It's now in the driver's side front wing, near the bottom, so no bl**dy fear.

I once drove an old Peugeot 309 1.3GL across Lindesfarne causeway as the tide was coming in. Yes, I know it was stupid. A guy watching me said that on the last stretch (coming back to the mainland) the water was up over the numberplate. I could actually feel the car lifting off the ground due to buoyancy, but there was no damage.

M

lol... nutter :)

to much "Mead" me thinks ;)

jasonius 12 January 2008 07:09 PM

If you suck water in through air intake expect to need a new engine (hydraulic lock) and possibly turbo (thermal shock)..!:(

So it depends where your intake is and if it's modified in any way. Standard intake system has resonator/snorkel in place to help prevent this, but this still has it's limits..!

The reason why mine is basically standard, with snorkel (this and the fact that it's also very efficient)..;)

My old man lost an engine last year to water intake, so I know a little about it..!

Oh and diesels (especially later ones <10 yrs old) are even worse due to very high compression..!;)

The Rig 12 January 2008 07:17 PM

went thru the floods in july and yesterday in gloucester and the deepest i went through was about 2 - 2.5 foot,the power of the water pushing u back is the main problem i found, the road was flooded for about 3 miles, half way thru u could feel the pressure of the water slowing the car down