ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   how to get bbc iplayer to work outside UK? (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/658352-how-to-get-bbc-iplayer-to-work-outside-uk.html)

suba 07 January 2008 11:26 PM

how to get bbc iplayer to work outside UK?

how do i get bbc iplayer to work outside UK? bbc is using geo-ip to detect if you are using it to watch outside UK, and therefore wont work when the IP range is not from UK. proxy? vpn?

stevem2k 07 January 2008 11:31 PM

UK proxy's

mail.theweb.co.uk:8000
mail.theweb.co.uk:8888
enteleca-2.dsl.easynet.co.uk:80

suba 08 January 2008 12:34 AM

so how does it work? just put those proxy server in IE? surely not as easy as that?

stevem2k 08 January 2008 12:36 AM

yup , easy as that.

Miles 09 January 2008 04:11 AM

I was considering setting up some sort of proxy arrangement via my Windows 2003 server in the UK - am based in Texas for the next 3 months and a bit of British telly wouldn't go amiss. Anyone got any proxy software recommendations?

suba 09 January 2008 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by stevem2k (Post 7540188)
yup , easy as that.

nope, didnt work for me :(

kbsub 13 January 2008 09:38 PM

Can someone explain to me (in laymans terms )how I get iplayer working from Calgary ??

Miles 14 January 2008 01:31 AM

I'm in Dallas and have got IPlayer working using the software available over at http://www.privoxy.org/.

Essentially, get a web savvy mate in the UK to download it and install it, then point your proxy setting at your mate's IP address/port in IE or Firefox, and iPlayer will work as it thinks you are based in the UK.

boxst 21 May 2008 10:21 PM

Hello

Any oher advice on this? I have got Privoxy working on my computer at home and can happily get to the iPlayer page from Switzerland without the 'in the UK' message, but streaming just doesn't work. I'm guessing that the flash player bypasses the proxy altogether?

Steve

suba 21 May 2008 10:34 PM

what you doing in switzerland? do they allow subaru there?

ok, here's a bit of trial and error... try to use firefox. goto tools/ options/ advanced/ network tab/ click on settings and select SOCKS v5.

let me know if that works. :)

boxst 21 May 2008 10:48 PM

I'm working here just for a few days in a bizarre place called Neuchatel. It appears to be a poor-persons Monaco as there are lots of old men with rather attractive young blondes!

I don't use Firefox.

Edit: Set the SOCKS proxy in IE to the same IP/port and it still doesn't work unfortunately.

Steve

kbsub 21 May 2008 11:09 PM

I never got the iPlayer thingy to work so I just download the torrent and play it through the PS3 ...works for me :thumb:

suba 21 May 2008 11:11 PM

is your IE using SOCKS v5? try firefox and set it to SOCKS v5.

kbsub 21 May 2008 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by suba (Post 7888207)
what you doing in switzerland? do they allow subaru there?

ok, here's a bit of trial and error... try to use firefox. goto tools/ options/ advanced/ network tab/ click on settings and select SOCKS v5.

let me know if that works. :)

Just tried that ....
Sorry, this programme is only available to play in the UK (Why?)

:(

suba 21 May 2008 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by kbsub (Post 7888328)
Just tried that ....
Sorry, this programme is only available to play in the UK (Why?)

:(

we know that. ;)

ScoTTyB 23 May 2008 03:38 PM

I did this in Germany and got someone in the UK to run ccproxy for me, worked perfectly and can password protect.

pimmo2000 24 May 2008 02:07 AM

try using proxy.telewest.co.uk port 8080

Proxy Settings in Internet Explorer 4.X

1. Click "View" \ "Internet Options");
2. Click "Connections";
3. Enable "use a proxy server";
4. In fields "Address" and "port" type proxy name and proxy port;
5. If nessesary, enable "bypass proxy server for local addresses";
6. Click "OK".

Proxy Settings in Internet Explorer 5.X - 6.x

1. Click "Service" \ "Internet Options";
2. Click "Connections";
3. If you use Dial-Up connection, choose your connection and click "Settings" button.
if you use LAN connection, click "LAN Settings" button in the "Local Area Network (LAN) Settings" group box;
4. Enable "use a proxy server";
5. In fields "Address" and "port", type proxy name and proxy port;
6. If nessesary, enable "bypass proxy server for local addresses";
7. Click "OK";
8. Click "OK" to close IE settings.

Proxy Settings in Netscape Navigator 4.X

1. Click "Edit" \ "Preferences";
2. Click "Category" \ "Advanced" \ "Proxies";
3. Set "Manual proxy configuration";
4. Click "View" at "Manual proxy configuration";
5. Set proxies for following protocols: HTTP, FTP, etc.

Proxy Settings in Netscape Navigator 6.X

1. Click "Edit" \ "Preferences";
2. Click "Category" \ "Advanced" \ "Proxies";
3. Set "Manual proxy configuration";
4. Click "View" at "Manual proxy configuration";
5. Set proxies for following protocols: HTTP, FTP, etc.

Proxy Settings in Opera 5.X - 7.x

1. Click "File" \ "Preferences";
2. In "Category" choose "Network";
3. Click on the button "Proxy servers..."
4. Set proxies for following protocols: HTTP, FTP, etc.
5. Enable proxies for corresponding protocols by enabling options "HTTP", "HTTPS", etc.
6. Click "OK" to close preferences

Proxy Settings in Konqueror

1. Click "Setting" \ "Configure Konqueror...";
2. Choose "Proxies";
3. Enable "Use proxy";
4. Set proxies for following protocols: HTTP, FTP, etc.

Proxy Settings in Mozilla Firefox

1. Click Tools->Options;
2. "General", "Connection Settings";
3. Select "Manual Proxy Configuration";
4. Enter proxy IP and port to appropriate fields;
5. Click OK to close Connection Settings;
6. Click OK to close Options;
7. Reload browser.

kbsub 24 May 2008 03:23 AM

Well Ive tried the Mozilla one and the IE5/6 (Although I have 7 )and neither work , Not sure what port number to use though ? Been trying to get this thing to work for months now HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

suba 24 May 2008 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by kbsub (Post 7893386)
Well Ive tried the Mozilla one and the IE5/6 (Although I have 7 )and neither work , Not sure what port number to use though ? Been trying to get this thing to work for months now HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

the reliable way to do it is to run a proxy server yourself in the UK (or ask someone to run it for you). that means running a PC connected to the internet in the UK. best bet is run it on an old laptop as the proxy server is only dishing out a UK IP address, no need for high power CPU.

pimmo2000 24 May 2008 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by kbsub (Post 7893386)

try my post above ... it does say which port

kbsub 24 May 2008 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by pimmo2000 (Post 7893662)
try my post above ... it does say which port

Yup I saw that and tried 8080 ... still didnt work
I googled "hide my IP" and came up with some dodgy looking website that basically shagged my PC I ended up doing a system restore late last night :razz:

suba 25 May 2008 02:36 AM

i tried that telewest proxy too. didnt work.

kbsub 20 June 2008 05:42 AM

Well I've given up on getting the Iplayer working here in Canada, But I did read somewhere that they are making it available worldwide anytime soon , So I'll just have to wait :(

However, BBC Worldwide is working on an international version, which we will make available as soon as we can and will make an announcement nearer the time.

suba 20 June 2008 11:39 PM

streaming on iplayer is pants half way round the world, so i downloading it now. strangely, 4oD streaming is OK.

markr1963 11 January 2009 12:47 PM

This might help

kbsub 11 January 2009 05:31 PM

I give up on iPlayer months ago I now use Home - UKNova

Gets you all the programmes you want and its fast. Just remember to re-seed everything and try an upload as much as you download. :thumb:

boxst 11 January 2009 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by kbsub (Post 8415602)
I give up on iPlayer months ago I now use Home - UKNova

Gets you all the programmes you want and its fast. Just remember to re-seed everything and try an upload as much as you download. :thumb:

It is just that using Torrents in a hotel etc.. is slow and quite often blocked which is why the iPlayer would be useful. I still think they should implement the ability to login using your TV licence.

Steve

kbsub 12 January 2009 05:00 PM

Yup see what you mean, Have you tried the link above ? I couldn't get it to work.

Funkii Munkii 23 June 2009 08:51 AM

Blatant

Suresh 14 January 2010 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by DavidPat (Post 8488441)
You need a UK-based VPN service.

Then all your interaction with iPlayer, Zattoo, C4CatchUP, ITV, etc, is routed via a UK server and you appear to be based in the UK. VPN accounts cost anything from $4 to $15 a month and all the above players work perfectly.

I went with www.UKiVPN.com it was the cheapest available and gives the exact same service - no data limits and plenty of bandwidth.

I tried the UK proxy way and it didn't really work - the servers were too slow and kept disappearing. When it did manage to connect, the players spend most of the time re-buffering. You need 400 kbps to stream iPlayer and VPN delivers this easily (depending on time of day, I've tested it between 800 kbps and 1.7 Mbps).

Since VPN works with iPhone - I can watch iPlayer on my iPhone in the USA. I can even watch via 3G since the VPN hides the fact that I'm on a mobile network. It's very cool.

Thanks! Found this thread via Google would you believe. Signed up with UKiVPN and its working as advertised. :thumb: