ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Counter Strike - What do I need, and where do I get it from? (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/65825-counter-strike-what-do-i-need-and-where-do-i-get-it-from.html)

dharbige 17 January 2002 08:01 PM

I'm interested in getting involved with the on-line gaming scene, and was wondering what software I needed to get.
I've done a search for "Counter Strike", but there only seems to be a map disc available.

Also, is there any additional hardware that would be useful, other than a decent graphics card?

Steve Perriam 17 January 2002 08:42 PM

hi m8

Do u own Half Life ?

if so then u download the Mod version of CS - warning very very big !! 100 mb ! or find it on pc mag discs / dvd.

you will also need another quite large patch file got HL itself.

if not then you can buy CS Retail for £20 or less.

its not that pc intensive cos its based on HL which is a couple or so years old now.

wot pc you got ?

icq me if u want more info. 3147057.

once installed connect to servers - use summat like gamespy3d to find server easily.

steve

dharbige 17 January 2002 08:54 PM

No, I don't have Half Life. I'm happy to buy the software, but I wasn't sure what to get. I would guess that http://www.game.uk.com/review.asp?tab=pc&rev_id=131142
is probably the sort of thing I need.

My PC is a PIII 733 with lots of memory, but a fairly pants graphics card (NVidia Riva TNT2).

I should be getting ADSL soon, so downloading stuff won't be a problem. Then I just need to practice a while before applying to join the STi clan!

orbv 17 January 2002 09:06 PM

Two chooses on what Half-Life to get....

1. The generation pack. Contains Hife-Life, Counter-Strike plus Opposing Forces do not play over 19.99

If u take this option u will need to download a large Counter-Strike retail patch.

2. Buy Half-Life which is in a DVD style case for £9.99 or less.

Download Counter-Strike the mod version and Half-Life patch. A total of around 200megs of downloading! Speak nicely to a friend or STi member and they will send u the patches/extra maps on CDROM.

Checkout www.counter-strike.net for all the patches plus lots of into on Counter-Strike. Also guides.barrysworld.com is a good resource.

dsmith 17 January 2002 09:13 PM

As Steve said the half-life game engine is several years old now so that spec should be just fine.

I would recommend you use the "Mod" version of half-life as it tends to have fewer problems come patch time.

My local PCWOrld has Half-Lige generations pack at the moment for £20. Fot tis you get half-life itself, the retail version of C-S and another episode in the half-life story (blue shift ? - I think)

Beause of the various changes to half-life and c/s whether you install half-lif and "mod" c-s or retail c-s you're in for some big downloads. If you get the generations pack above I personally would forget the retail C-S cd you get and install H-L.

You then need the H-L: patch to 1.08

then download the "Mod" version of C-S 1.3 and install it. This will alow you to d/l and play some of the other on-line variations of half-life later if you want.

those 2 files (h-l patch and C-S Mod) are about 75mb and 100mb respectively. (:eek:)

After that look out for the C-S threads on here and join in :)

Steve Perriam 17 January 2002 09:19 PM

y aren't u to vlpb's playing CS ?

dont worry about applying to STi

we took in Deano and Orb afterall ;) :p

[Edited by Steve Perriam - 1/17/2002 9:20:28 PM]

orbv 17 January 2002 11:38 PM

But there is talk of throwing out some old gits to make room for the new!

Steve Perriam 18 January 2002 08:38 AM

yes, sorry orb - we we thinking it was time u went :p

Dave P 18 January 2002 01:33 PM

Blooming thing kept making me feel car sick.... but now I have game controllers I must try again