ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   TomTom mount not staying on the windscreen... (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/657782-tomtom-mount-not-staying-on-the-windscreen.html)

STi-Frenchie 05 January 2008 04:17 PM

TomTom mount not staying on the windscreen...

...is it time to buy a new one? Or anyone know of a way to make it stick longer? Had an errand to run yesterday and the thing kept falling off every five minutes --- bloody annoying trying to drive and catch it from falling on the floor. Then by some wacky coincidence it took me the wrong way and had me heading straight for work! I think my grabbing it somehow reprogrammed it. Finally resorted to licking the suction cup and putting it on there but 5 or 6 minutes later I arrived at my destination so have no idea how much longer it would have lasted like that.

NotoriousREV 05 January 2008 04:24 PM

Lick it. It works for me. Also, clean the screen where you mount it really well with an alcohol wipe first to degrease it.

STi-Frenchie 05 January 2008 04:27 PM

Cheers Rev. I'd just cleaned the car last Monday...including the windscreen and all windows inside and out.

gallois 05 January 2008 04:28 PM

use screenwash neat to clean the suction cup, and also the area on the windscreen, (also if its a genuine tomtom mount, make sure that the suction mount is 'locked' i.e. twist until resistance, then again until it kinda clicks) failing that, it must be fcuked.

STi-Frenchie 05 January 2008 04:39 PM

It's a genuine mount for a TomTom ONE. When I put it on the windscreen I get the resistance and click it home but then it just falls off again. I looked on Amazon for a replacement mount and they have one for a ONE but it says Version 1 ONE's -- anyone know how I can tell which version I have? It's just over 2 years old.

gallois 05 January 2008 05:03 PM

the tomtom one 1st edition is NOT the tomtom one XL or tomtom one europe, or tomtom one GB or tomtom one V3 europe etc etc. it was just called 'tomtom one' i think the 1st edition was all black, NOT silver and black, it is still sold and called a tomtom one classic and looks like this http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...sL._AA275_.jpg

so the one on amazon will fit this one

STi-Frenchie 05 January 2008 05:14 PM

Ah I see, thanks for that. Mine is black and silver. I bought it from Amazon France and it came with the map of France not Western Europe so I must be looking at a version 2 TomTom I guess.

Scoobychick 05 January 2008 05:22 PM

Drill a hole through the windscreen and another corresponding one in the mount, fix with nut and bolt, job done :thumb:

Removed. 05 January 2008 05:31 PM

Another reason might be where on the screen you're trying to stick it, as it were. The sides of the windscreen tend to be slightly more curved than the centre, which can break the seal, and hence you get floppy TomTom problems. I bought an air-vent mount, which is ok, but the screen is tilted slightly up, so can catch the sun at odd times.

STi-Frenchie 05 January 2008 05:39 PM

Middle of the windscreen is where it is being placed. I'm off out for a curry later so will try the suggestions in the thread so far...but I'll need to wait for daylight before drilling through the windscreen as Sal suggests.

FriarTook 06 January 2008 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by scoobychick (Post 7533579)
Drill a hole through the windscreen and another corresponding one in the mount, fix with nut and bolt, job done :thumb:

I did this, you should have seen the AutoGlass blokes face when he came to fix the screen afterwards :lol1:

STi-Frenchie 06 January 2008 02:18 PM

I tried the suggestions here and it managed to staz stuc k to the windscreen for 23 minutes before falling off again. The lick test is next...

Boro 06 January 2008 03:24 PM

lick it

Shark Man 06 January 2008 03:29 PM

Your windscreen is probably dirty or contaminated: Silicone based dash cleaner being the biggest curlprit if the windscreen is already clean.

Silicone is horrible stuff - ask anyone who works in a bodyshop. And what does almost every cleaning product manufacturer put in the cleaners and waxes? :rolleyes:

Screen will need wiping kitchen rolls saoked with methylated sprit then dried with dry kitchen roll - same with the suction cup. Or automotive panel wipe (if you happen to have some ;) )

jods 06 January 2008 11:21 PM

SuperGlue did the trick for me :)

The trouble came when I tried to chisel it off to transfer it to the wifes car :(

hutton_d 07 January 2008 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by STi-Frenchie (Post 7533623)
Middle of the windscreen is where it is being placed. I

.. which could mean a tug from the boys in blue for obscuring your view through the windscreen. But don't worry, there aren't any any more ... but just don't speed at the same time.

Dave