ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Half Life 2 ep1? ep2 ? (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/654858-half-life-2-ep1-ep2.html)

StickyMicky 20 December 2007 01:54 PM

Half Life 2 ep1? ep2 ?

I`m confused, the orange box, does it have half life 2, ep1 and ep2 included?

is half life 2 not just ep1+ep2 put together or is it a different game?

i have never played half life before and i want to "start" at the beguining" with them, reading the box here and it looks like it has 3 seperate half life 2 games inside :confused:

tried wiki but thats not helping matters :razz:

john_s 20 December 2007 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by StickyMicky (Post 7497581)
is half life 2 not just ep1+ep2 put together or is it a different game?

They are 3 separate games (or a game and 2 "gamelettes" if you prefer).

HL2 was released quite a while before HL2 Episode1, then followed by HL2 Episode 2

PeteBrant 20 December 2007 02:07 PM

I f you want to start at the beginning then you need the original "half life" ;)

turbomatt 20 December 2007 02:07 PM

The orange box consists of - half life 2
episode 1
episode 2
tf2
portal

Now if you want to start at the beginning you need to buy half life first which is widely considered as one of the greatest games of all time.
Then you need to play half life 2, then episode 1 and finally episode 2.
But dont buy these games for anything other than the pc.They play far better on the pc.All in my opinion of course :)

PS
has your mail service improved at all recently? hope so:D

Luminous 20 December 2007 03:53 PM

If you have never played half life, then if you buy it now it will seem really dated :(

Half Life 1 passed me by, at the time I did not have a machine that could play it. By the time I did, my expectations for eye candy were not fulfilled in Half Life 1. Half Life 2 is a good enough starting point imo.

ScoobyDriverWannabe 20 December 2007 03:55 PM

Isnt there a port of the original half life using the source engine.

But if you want to be thorough and play the full series from the begining you would also need the expansions, blue shift & opposing forces for the original half life.

I was looking at buying the orange box yesterday.

In one Game store it wass £30 then in the Game around the corner it was £19.99.

But you can get it for about £17 delivered off play.com :)

StickyMicky 20 December 2007 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by turbomatt (Post 7497615)

PS
has your mail service improved at all recently? hope so:D

well the pub down the road is now getting all its mail, as i am making a trip down once per fornight to give them the mail thats deliverd to me :rolleyes:

i think i will give halflife a miss, i already have the orange box, i just didn't know what order to play them in LOL

i was allowed to open "one" of my xmas presents last night from the G/F as she is going away down south to her aunties, so i had a look at them all and went for one that looked like a dvd box, i knew she had bought COD4 so this was a cunning plan, unwrapping the gift wrapping like "charlie and his golden ticket", the G/F saying "ohh christ, if its call of duty i`m not going to see you for days"

assume gamelette = really short?

Pumpkin 21 December 2007 09:50 PM

Half Life 2 is the main game

Episode 1 came about 6 months later and added to the story.
Ep 2 is more recent and adds more.

Worthwhile getting, great game

StickyMicky 22 December 2007 08:20 AM

i started half life 2

got to the part when some blokes in gimp masks start raiding the apartment blocks, and got beaten to death :confused:

tried again, and ran through the apartment, out the other end and towards the stairs and was met with loads of blokes in gimp masks ready to beat me to death, so i played portal instead:lol1:

Markus 22 December 2007 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by ScoobyDriverWannabe (Post 7497874)
Isnt there a port of the original half life using the source engine.

You're quite correct, HL has been updated to use the Source engine, have a look here for more info.

I've not played HL, but I have played through HL2, Episode 1 and Episode 2 and don't feel I've lost anything in missing out on HL.

Once you've finished with the official episodes, have a look at the "Minerva: Metastasis" mod, it's very, very good.

bob269 23 December 2007 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by Markus (Post 7503290)
I've not played HL, but I have played through HL2, Episode 1 and Episode 2 and don't feel I've lost anything in missing out on HL.

You wont be missing anything now, but if you'd not played it 5yrs or so ago then you've missed out on one of the best fps since Unreal was released, deffo set the standard for shooters, luckily HL2 followed and improved on what was near perfection ;)