ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Blocking certain log in IDS locally ? (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/654757-blocking-certain-log-in-ids-locally.html)

pimmo2000 19 December 2007 08:50 PM

Blocking certain log in IDS locally ?

I need to work out how to set my Networked PC to only allow me to log on. I have development user rights so I can access regedit etc.. but just need an idea what to change ?

Luminous 19 December 2007 09:10 PM

Is just passwording your account too simple?

pimmo2000 19 December 2007 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Luminous (Post 7496032)
Is just passwording your account too simple?

:Suspiciou

My account is passworded.. but I want my PC to only allow my log in !

HankScorpio 19 December 2007 09:21 PM

start
run
secpol.msc

expand local policy, user rights
Set "allow logon locally" to yourself and if you don't want to piss people off - "administrators".

pimmo2000 19 December 2007 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by HankScorpio (Post 7496063)
start
run
secpol.msc

expand local policy, user rights
Set "allow logon locally" to yourself and if you don't want to piss people off - "administrators".

Oh sir you are a GOD

HankScorpio 19 December 2007 09:59 PM

nah, geek maybe... :D

pimmo2000 19 December 2007 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by HankScorpio (Post 7496152)
nah, geek maybe... :D

What about making it refuse certain log ins ? :thumb:

pimmo2000 19 December 2007 10:14 PM

Deny log on locally... ****ing magic

Luminous 19 December 2007 10:18 PM

I must have missed the point here somewhere.

I got the impression you were talking about your own personal networked PC. In which case removing any spurious accounts (apart from admin and your own) then making sure they are passworded it job done :confused:

HankScorpio 19 December 2007 10:27 PM

I'm guessing shared networked pc in an office (shifts..?).

Secpol is very powerful and it's not smart so will only do what you tell it with no sanity check so a little caution required, it can end in tears and rebuilds....

Luminous 19 December 2007 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by HankScorpio (Post 7496238)
I'm guessing shared networked pc in an office (shifts..?).

Secpol is very powerful and it's not smart so will only do what you tell it with no sanity check so a little caution required, it can end in tears and rebuilds....

oh yeah, been there...done the rebuild :D

If it is in an office, if there is no physical security then there are various ways to gain access. I have never been in the cracking scene, but I do know that there are tools that fit onto a USB pendrive that can allow a knowledgable user to gain access.

If its your files that are on the machine that you need to secure, you need to actually encrypt them. Relying on windows to do the job is not sufficient. If someone resets the admin password, they can take ownership of your files, even if you use Windows encryption.