ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Old WRX (-97) vs Todays Hot Hatches (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/654239-old-wrx-97-vs-todays-hot-hatches.html)

Brill 17 December 2007 12:39 AM

Old WRX (-97) vs Todays Hot Hatches

Hi Guys and Gals,

I'm thinking of getting myself another Scooby as I miss my STi8 so much, problem is I've just bought a house so I'm pretty poor. I won't be using the car as a daily driver but more as something to have a bit of fun in. I reckon I can get together almost £4k and for that sort of money it looks like I'd be able to afford an old WRX.

What I want to know is how does a standard (well as standard as I can find!) WRX compare to todays hot hatches as the old shape WRX is 10+ years old now?

Cheers
Brill

The rookie 17 December 2007 06:11 AM

An old WRX in good nick will still likely need the odd bush or suspension part to be at its best, but it would beat a modern hot hatch in a straight line with no worries, round the bends it will need to be better than average for its age to match something like the Golf Gti, although its easy to make them a lot better (get a 20mm STi takeoff rear bar as a starter - the difference for not much money is amazing) then it starts getting dearer as you go.

Simon

killerscoob 17 December 2007 09:38 AM

Mines a 96 wrx import 290 ish bhp, iam sorry but the golf gti's cant keep up on straight or bends and that was when it was 260 as standard, you cant beat the classics and I only paid 3K for mine totally standard.

The rookie 17 December 2007 11:18 AM

Read again, I said it would beat one in a straight line (DOH)

I stand by the fact that equal drivers in a Golf V Gti will be as fast through a corner as a 96/7 WRX.

Simon

Tidgy 17 December 2007 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by The rookie (Post 7489900)
Read again, I said it would beat one in a straight line (DOH)

I stand by the fact that equal drivers in a Golf V Gti will be as fast through a corner as a 96/7 WRX.

Simon

vxr is no where near what a wrx will do through the corners unless its bone dry

bill. 17 December 2007 11:43 AM

my clio williams has been beat by 2 sti scoobys upto about a ton (hawkeye), pulled about a car and a half maybe 2 on me, i was expecting to get mullered it didn't really happen, had a go with a classic uk scooby sat on his bumper no problem, i'd happily challenge them, and probably come out on top, roughly running 170bhp, i'm aso in 2 minds weather or not to sell the williams and get a scooby, but i'd be going for an import sti ra classic, so i suppose that would be a different story, from what i've read these things go like **** off a shovel!? bye bye clio! but then when i drive the williams i think i must be mad thinking about selling it, looks awesome, lovely to drive, handling is second to none, and it easily puts the new age hot hatches in there places ie ctr's, 172/182's etc! makes me feel i should just mod the clio, and use it as a track toy, and a very capable track toy it would make ;)never drove a scooby, so cant really comment on the drive, but i would hope there awesome to drive, afterall they are rally cars lol.

StiX 17 December 2007 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Brill (Post 7489466)
Hi Guys and Gals,

I'm thinking of getting myself another Scooby as I miss my STi8 so much, problem is I've just bought a house so I'm pretty poor. I won't be using the car as a daily driver but more as something to have a bit of fun in. I reckon I can get together almost £4k and for that sort of money it looks like I'd be able to afford an old WRX.

What I want to know is how does a standard (well as standard as I can find!) WRX compare to todays hot hatches as the old shape WRX is 10+ years old now?

Cheers
Brill

For £4k these days you could get a UK Turbo 99-00, albeit with around 100k miles.

I'd say mine is worth £4k now - MY00 102k.

Nothing wrong with older WRXs - I used to have one - but the facelifts IMO look so much better, and the interiors are also much improved.

If you don't mind the miles, there is a 130k UK on here running 295bhp with loads of nice mods for £3995:

https://www.scoobynet.com/private-sa...bo-295bhp.html

Oh, and hot hatches have no chance with my 273bhp/273lbft 7 yr old classic - in a straight line at least :thumb:

Tidgy 17 December 2007 11:44 AM

oops should have put the vxr is similar ilk to the gti and suposedly a bit faster

StiX 17 December 2007 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by bill. (Post 7489951)
my clio williams has been beat by 2 sti scoobys upto about a ton (hawkeye), pulled about a car and a half maybe 2 on me, i was expecting to get mullered it didn't really happen, had a go with a classic uk scooby sat on his bumper no problem, i'd happily challenge them, and probably come out on top, roughly running 170bhp, i'm aso in 2 minds weather or not to sell the williams and get a scooby, but i'd be going for an import sti ra classic, so i suppose that would be a different story, from what i've read these things go like **** off a shovel!? bye bye clio! but then when i drive the williams i think i must be mad thinking about selling it, looks awesome, lovely to drive, handling is second to none, and it easily puts the new age hot hatches in there places ie ctr's, 172/182's etc! makes me feel i should just mod the clio, and use it as a track toy, and a very capable track toy it would make ;)never drove a scooby, so cant really comment on the drive, but i would hope there awesome to drive, afterall they are rally cars lol.

With 170bhp, as your williams only weighs 980kg you have 176bhp/ton.

A standard UK turbo is 171/176 bhp/ton depending on the year.

A standard STI 6 Type R is 220 bhp/ton.

A hawkeye STI PPP 2.5 is only - 207 bhp/ton.

However, there are not many Imprezas that are standard. My UK Turbo has 273bhp/273lbft - 224bhp/ton.

Just some figures for you, not much use when evaluating cornering speed though :)

scoobyboy1 17 December 2007 12:02 PM

My brother has just picked up a MY94 WRX wagon, and I must say Im quite impressed with it, not only is it clean but it goes pretty well for 13 year old car. Only mods are a decat midsection, STi backbox and filter so im guessing its probably pushing around 240bhp?????

I had to borrow the car the otherday to go to work, and come across a Golf R32 who wanted a quick play, To be honest there was nothing in it with maybe the WRX pulling half a car length in front, not bad for car that my brother paid peanuts for.:)

NAY93WRX 17 December 2007 12:15 PM

Ive got a 93 'K' plate WRX running id guess at 280bhp (full 3" turbo back decat, k+n I/K, scott T chip @1.2bar) and it eats focus ST's, Golf R32's, VXR's.

I bought mine factory standard with 42k miles for £3750.

telscooby1 17 December 2007 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by bill. (Post 7489951)

got to love a pocket rocket my old series 2 rst was running 197 bhp and 239lbft upset loads of cars :D

T5OLF 17 December 2007 12:35 PM

Buy an RA or an STi If you just want a weekend toy buy an RA. Lightweight shell, close ratio box - closest thing to a rally car.

A few choice mods and you have a very quick car.

beef-on-the-bone 17 December 2007 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by T5OLF (Post 7490059)
Buy an RA or an STi If you just want a weekend toy buy an RA. Lightweight shell, close ratio box - closest thing to a rally car.

A few choice mods and you have a very quick car.

definately!!
4k will get you a lot of impreza at the moment!! :norty:

bill. 17 December 2007 01:13 PM

excellent, all these comments where what i was hoping for to be honest, liking the eating focus st's/r32/vxr comments, thats what i want lol, not just matching or beating.......but EATING!

just convinces me more, i'm doing the right thing :D

anyone know the costs of getting an ra box a longer 5th gear, for better top speed? without wanting to go off topic!

T5OLF 17 December 2007 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by bill. (Post 7490161)
excellent, all these comments where what i was hoping for to be honest, liking the eating focus st's/r32/vxr comments, thats what i want lol, not just matching or beating.......but EATING!

just convinces me more, i'm doing the right thing :D

anyone know the costs of getting an ra box a longer 5th gear, for better top speed? without wanting to go off topic!

Don't bother you will spoil the box, if you don't do any motorway driving then leave it be. You will remove one of the best parts of an RA - the box.

bill. 17 December 2007 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by T5OLF (Post 7490178)
Don't bother you will spoil the box, if you don't do any motorway driving then leave it be. You will remove one of the best parts of an RA - the box.

I can see what your saying, but i was under the impression you could get a 5th gear from another scooby put into the ra box, for better top end, and i would have thought that you would still have the acceleration to match? am i wrong?

Gear Head 17 December 2007 01:41 PM

If you did that, then you'd have to beat the opposition before 90mph. Once you change into 5th (longer gear fitted), you'll have no acceleration.

T5OLF 17 December 2007 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by chrispurvis100 (Post 7490218)
If you did that, then you'd have to beat the opposition before 90mph. Once you change into 5th (longer gear fitted), you'll have no acceleration.

Correct, a wrx 5th gear will kill it. Mine does about 120 flat out......fast enough I reckon.

Watch this video and you will get an idea of the how close the box is.

YouTube - Subaru Impreza type RA

[Davey] 17 December 2007 01:51 PM

Mines for sale for £3400 if you're interested :D and you're not to far away :D

Its a UK Turbo so nice loooooooonnnnnggg Gears ;) Quicker than a WRX too (well it is now) :D

rossyboy 17 December 2007 05:54 PM

Yeah, but yours is GREEN :D

Totally agree with the comment re the suspension. Mine has only done 60k miles, but as its 14 years old, its really not very good any more :( Some serious ££££ needed to bring it up to scratch.

[Davey] 17 December 2007 08:30 PM

Green is the way forward... Havent you heard the government yapping on about it? :D

danfranklin1 17 December 2007 08:39 PM

Much prefer the longer gearing on UK Imprezas myself, but then I would doing lots of motorway miles. I really love the way my decatted UK99 still has a load of pickup at 80mph +, great at blowing away the irritating middle-lane/outside lane hoggers, undertaking before they know what's hit them. (Disclaimer in case plod's reading... I don't really ever do this as it contravines the highway code).

[Davey] 17 December 2007 08:46 PM

I have to say the UK cars are far nicer to drive! I've driven regular WRX's and a couple of DCCD equipt STI's.. The UK version is far better suited to UK roads, not suited for the track though if thats what floats your cookie.

rossi_p 17 December 2007 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by telscooby1 (Post 7490041)
got to love a pocket rocket my old series 2 rst was running 197 bhp and 239lbft upset loads of cars :D

Indeed! My 205 Mi16 track car with twin webbers and lots more (c.220bhp) upset a lot of people at track days.. :D

Doesn't compare to the sort of pace my Type R can go at though!!

kingofturds 18 December 2007 05:15 AM

My 96 sti destroys most things on the road when I am in the mood.... as long as I don't come across that M5 again:D

The rookie 19 December 2007 06:35 AM

Top Gear | The Stig's lap times

Clio cup is only 3 seconds slower than an STi with DCCD, so would probably be about the same time as the non DCCD lower power WRX/classic I think...in the wet though.......

Simon

bill. 21 December 2007 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by T5OLF (Post 7490241)
Correct, a wrx 5th gear will kill it. Mine does about 120 flat out......fast enough I reckon.

Watch this video and you will get an idea of the how close the box is.

YouTube - Subaru Impreza type RA

my naff computer finally let me view the vid:cool: , see what you mean, it fair shifts through the gears! nice!

StickyMicky 21 December 2007 06:24 PM

try and find a 97-98wrx as they are far superior in both power, spec and torque :D

bill. 21 December 2007 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by StickyMicky (Post 7501100)
try and find a 97-98wrx as they are far superior in both power, spec and torque :D

serious? or you taking the piss?:eek: