ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Race of Champions (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/654187-race-of-champions.html)

Paddi70 16 December 2007 07:54 PM

Race of Champions

Its official, WRC drivers are rubbish, butts whipped by F1.
Looked a good day out, if a bit chilly, Wembley never looked so good as it did with an Aston racing over the penalty spot:norty:

Wish 16 December 2007 07:59 PM

Watched a little on the telly this afternoon. It looked poorly managed. And MS couldnt keep out of the camera.

Ps ... Nice Start Mr S

Paddi70 16 December 2007 08:01 PM

Sky tried their best, adverts after every race??? which was quite a lot:(

exvaux 16 December 2007 08:12 PM

and murray getting confused a lot with the commentary

what would scooby do 16 December 2007 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by exvaux (Post 7488929)

a lot

Petem95 16 December 2007 08:39 PM

Sounds like this was a good event!

Race of Champions - Germany win Nations Cup - Yahoo! Eurosport UK

Germany won it with Schmacher and Vettel (Vettel sounds like he's really going to be a star of the future!)

Germany got onto level terms when Formula One rookie Vettel sensationally beat double world rally champion Marcus Gronholm, despite the pair driving Ford Focuses identical to the one that the Finn took five wins in his final WRC season this year
:eek:

"I [Vettel] spoke to David Coulthard before and he says that it is a rule that you don't come to drive in the RoC unless you're drunk. It's good that I did not take his advice."
Nice try DC ;)

Kovalainen put in another outstanding performance - really am expecting him to at least match Hamilton for pace next year once he's settled in.

MooseRacer 16 December 2007 10:57 PM

By god was it cold!!!!

It was a good day - wouldn't say it was in anyway poorly managed :confused:
Good reception for all the drivers and a nice tribute to Colin McCrae in the middle :thumb:

Leslie 17 December 2007 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by exvaux (Post 7488929)

Do you think you could do as well as him in a race commentary, especially at his age?

I enjoyed the proceedings all round and far from it being a walkover for the Racing drivers, the WRC drivers did pretty well too and were not beaten by that much anyway. None of them stalled their engines at the start either:)

Looks like there is some real talent about for F1 next year too.

Les

image doctor 17 December 2007 12:14 PM

Talent?

Driving a car around a kart track, is hardly the basis for judging a drivers potential. It's a good, fun end of season event....NOT a shop window for drivers.

MooseRacer 17 December 2007 12:23 PM

The only vehicle where talent could shine through on such a tight track was the ROC kart - and the old man of F1 was untouchable in them.

Leslie 18 December 2007 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by image doctor (Post 7490012)
Talent?

Driving a car around a kart track, is hardly the basis for judging a drivers potential. It's a good, fun end of season event....NOT a shop window for drivers.

You have made an assumption. I was saying that there is some real talent around for F1 next season but I do watch F1 avidly and what I said was not based on the ROC. However, mickey mouse track or not, it still took a lot of driving skill to get the best out of each type of car around it.

Les

jd5217 18 December 2007 12:56 PM

what about Andy Priaulx??

Leslie 18 December 2007 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by jd5217 (Post 7492610)
what about Andy Priaulx??

No doubting his ability for sure.

Les :)

Patt@firstime 18 December 2007 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by MooseRacer (Post 7490035)
The only vehicle where talent could shine through on such a tight track was the ROC kart - and the old man of F1 was untouchable in them.

Spot on - how many lap records did he set lol

Leslie 19 December 2007 11:46 AM

I reckon that the real ability shows in the way they can adapt to and get the best out of each type of car.

Les

f1_fan 19 December 2007 01:15 PM

The highlight was Schuey handing Jenson Button a driving lesson not once but twice. What was it people used to say about equal machinery ;) :D

Leslie 20 December 2007 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by f1_fan (Post 7494961)
The highlight was Schuey handing Jenson Button a driving lesson not once but twice. What was it people used to say about equal machinery ;) :D

Yes he did drive that car well, but Jenson was not that far adrift. Schuey did manage to spin on the last bend in the final too:) I suppose he was trying a bit hard though.

Les

POC 20 December 2007 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 7497570)
Yes he did drive that car well, but Jenson was not that far adrift. Schuey did manage to spin on the last bend in the final too:) I suppose he was trying a bit hard though.

Les

He had already lost before the last bend, the spin was for 'effect'. Good event though, mighty cold on the old feet though!!! burrr

Petem95 20 December 2007 03:14 PM

Anyone if the venue for the 2008 RoC has been decided yet? I'd certainly like to go along. Hopefully they won't have it so close to Christmas next time!

f1_fan 20 December 2007 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 7497570)

Les

At the end of the day (British) people need to finally accept Jenson is overrated. He is good, very good, but can't hold a candle to Schumacher who is one of the all time greats despite all the British naysayers. :Whatever_

Just because Jenson is British does not automatically make him chamionship material. Hamilton on the other hand is the real deal.

Huxley 20 December 2007 08:07 PM

My two best bits of the day

1: Watching the german git lose :notworthy

2: Watching those mad bastids on their bikes doing back flips :cuckoo: :cuckoo: :D :D :D my god they have some big baslls :D

Thank god for getting free tickets down at the front, 4 seat rows from the blanked off seats, I dont think I would have paid for tickets to go though!