ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Safespeed founder has died (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/654099-safespeed-founder-has-died.html)

andy97 16 December 2007 01:43 PM

Safespeed founder has died

Paul Smith of 'Safespeed' website has died. A great campaigner for road saftey. Sad loss

If it been posted before hand, sorry

Andy

Luminous 18 December 2007 08:37 PM

I was just about to post this when I found your post.

:( Really sad news, I've no idea how I missed your post :(

He did a lot of unpaid work that was actually starting to gather pace. On many occasions his work was reported in the press. Perhaps some saving grace can be taken from the fact his wife intends to carry on his work.

Safe Speed founder Paul Smith dies - Motorcycle News - MCN

ScoTTyB 18 December 2007 08:51 PM

I'll continue buying his shirts in support. :D

Please don't get all serious now, being able to joke and laugh at situations like these is very British.

Chris L 18 December 2007 09:55 PM

That's really sad - one of the few voices of reason in a sea of insanity. Glad to see his partner is going to carry on the running of the website and campaign.

LG John 18 December 2007 10:31 PM

one of the few voices of reason in a sea of insanity.
How so? I know nothing of him but IME 99.9999% of people that campaign for slower speeds are absolutely clueless as to the real cause of accidents and deaths on our roads and become obsessed with the most quantifiable variable (speed). I'd be interested to read links to view of his that would suggest he did have better reasoning :)

LG John 18 December 2007 10:37 PM

Just looked at Safe Speed - a good start. Seems he did have a clue.

Chris L 18 December 2007 10:51 PM

He certainly did. His main argument was always the ridiculous assertion that speed in it self was the cause of most accidents, when even the DoT own figures showed that that was not the case. He also wanted the massive reduction in traffic police to be reversed. He wasn't some mad petrolhead speed junky, he just wanted safer roads which he believed would come through the correct policing of those roads by properly trained police officers and not the overly simplistic blanket use of speed cameras.

unclebuck 18 December 2007 10:56 PM

Good man. A great loss to reason and rationality

:(

richs2891 18 December 2007 11:10 PM

Crikey - just read this thread - sad news indeed, he spoke a lot on common sense ! Spent a lot of time on the safe speed site
My thoughts go out to his family !

Richard

OllyK 19 December 2007 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy (Post 7493892)
How so? I know nothing of him but IME 99.9999% of people that campaign for slower speeds are absolutely clueless as to the real cause of accidents and deaths on our roads and become obsessed with the most quantifiable variable (speed). I'd be interested to read links to view of his that would suggest he did have better reasoning :)

You really have no clue who he was or what he was about do you? Look at Welcome to Safe Speed and then see if you hold the same view.

LG John 19 December 2007 11:21 AM

I know nothing of him
I openly admit I know nothing about him in my first sentence.

IME 99.9999% of people
IME = in my experience and I make no direct claim regards Mr Smith.

I'd be interested to read links to view of his that would suggest he did have better reasoning
I publicly request additional information to set aside my fears that he's just like every other 'speed freak'.

In short Olly I don't understand your tone when I feel I'm quite justifiably and sensibly requesting information on how this guy was different from the rest :)

OllyK 19 December 2007 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy (Post 7494697)
I openly admit I know nothing about him in my first sentence.

IME = in my experience and I make no direct claim regards Mr Smith.

But why make reference to them if you don't know enough about Paul Smith to establish if he is one of the people you're referring to?

I publicly request additional information to set aside my fears that he's just like every other 'speed freak'.
Which was supplied.

In short Olly I don't understand your tone when I feel I'm quite justifiably and sensibly requesting information on how this guy was different from the rest :)
Tone? How did you determine a tone from typed text. I asked a question and supplied the information you asked.

Luminous 19 December 2007 12:02 PM

Maybe you did not see both of Saxo's posts near the top of the thread.

SiPie 19 December 2007 12:04 PM

one? How did you determine a tone from typed text. I asked a question and supplied the information you asked.
To me your post just seems a bit wanky, provocative and abrupt...

Hence the joy of typed text, easy to misinterpret I guess ;)

LG John 19 December 2007 01:30 PM

^^^ what he said.

Matter forgotten.

Vampire 19 December 2007 01:34 PM

Sad. How did he die?

OllyK 19 December 2007 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy (Post 7494992)
^^^ what he said.

Matter forgotten.

:)

OllyK 19 December 2007 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Vampire (Post 7495002)
Sad. How did he die?

Stroke / heart attack it would seem