ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Tivoli or legato? (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/654063-tivoli-or-legato.html)

Stueyb 15 December 2007 11:57 PM

Tivoli or legato?

Hi peeps,

I've been asked to research and implement a new backup solution.

We are currently using Asigra televaulting but it is getting v, v expensive, because we are just about to break the 3 TB storage barrier (thats compressed btw)

So basically, I've been looking round and looking at Legato Networker and Tivoli. However I'm thinking Tivoli may be a little overkill. However i'm also thinking Tivoli will be a skill to possess according to jobserve ;)

I have a blank canvas and and a remote site with a fairly hefty leased pipe to begin with. So to all you Tivoli or legato people, what are the pros and cons of backing up an entire enterprise (25+ servers (linux, big iron IBM unix, windows), 100+ desktops and 50+ laptops)

Cheers

Stu

boxst 16 December 2007 08:01 AM

Legato...

But then I'm biased :)

Steve

stevem2k 16 December 2007 08:31 AM

Veritas ;)

Wurzel 16 December 2007 12:32 PM

HP DataProtector but then again I am biased as I work with and support the R&D team here :D

Luminous 16 December 2007 02:53 PM

lol, the poor chap gets three different pieces of advice.

I personally cannot help, 3TB is beyond my backup experience level.

Stueyb 16 December 2007 04:25 PM

Thanks guys.

I was half expecting some joker to tell me to buy 3 1TB drives and do an xcopy ;)

Luminous 16 December 2007 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Stueyb (Post 7488411)
Thanks guys.

I was half expecting some joker to tell me to buy 3 1TB drives and do an xcopy ;)

well, I would at least suggest you use RAID so that you can see them as one volume. I'd had for you to have to split compressed archives :lol1:

stevem2k 16 December 2007 05:51 PM

25 servers is SME, not enterprise anyway ;)

Nog 17 December 2007 09:51 PM

What clients are involved?

We use Tivoli Storage Manager at work, and yes, it's a good product. However, it's massively configurable, and therefore quite complex. Plus, you really need to get your tape or SATA pools setup correctly first time, or at least allow enough headroom for a few years' growth, as things can get quite messy when you organically grow (I should know, we're now at year #11, and spent a lot of time and £££ last year re-engineering our solution).

If you're only using Wintel and Linux clients, why not look at Acronis' offerings?

druddle 17 December 2007 10:13 PM

Hi Stu

Well this is a can of worms......TSM, Networker and Netbackup (as well as countless more) will offer back up and restore functions that meet your criteria.

You have to start with things like what is your recovery point and time objectives that you have to supply to the business ? Once you know how much data you can afford to lose and how long is acceptable for your company to be without the data, you can start to work out a solution.

What sort of disk storage is involved ? Is it all DAS (local), or network attached (NAS- NFS or CIFS shares) or a SAN (iSCSI or FC) ? Is there the option to snapshot and replicate at a hardware level to a DR site and back up there, thus not impacting application availability on the live site ?

Drop me a PM, I work as a Senior Consultant in a hardware vendors PS team, and this sort of thing is my bag. I cant really do it much justice here, its better on a whiteboard !!!

Dave

DrEvil 19 December 2007 06:03 PM

And when you do decide, for your own sake make sure the vendors involved have certified the software against the hardware (tape drives etc..) - may sound obvious, but I've seen sooo many solutions go in that this hasn't been done properly on - end result - a very flakey back-up solution.

Networker is one of my main headaches at the moment, Netbackup is our weapon of choice - we have 2000+ servers of varying flavours.