ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   10w/50 or 15w/50?? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/653781-10w-50-or-15w-50-a.html)

AlanPPP 14 December 2007 02:00 PM

10w/50 or 15w/50??

Buying some Silkolene Pro oil for MY96WRX that's done 74K :brickwall

Now with it being a high ish mileage should i go for the 15w/50 instead??

shea2k 14 December 2007 03:33 PM

Hey Alan, my own opinion (and from posting a similar question several months back) is that 15/50 oil is not giving you enough protection from cold.
(And I do of course mean from the engine being off, to the engine warming up, to the engine being at normal temperature range).

I would personally recommend a 10/40 semi or a 10/50 semi if you can get it.

Silkolene is a good brand, so ya can't go far wrong there. But bring your initial range down to 10 rather than 15 for more protection from the get go.

(Though, if you're doing motorway driving more than town, 15/50 aint a bad choice to be fair, but just take it well easy on the motor until it warms up sufficiently).

Hope this helps.

AlanPPP 14 December 2007 03:35 PM

Yeah i might go for the 10w/50 then mate.On my last scooby i put this in though and it made the engine a lot more noisyer :( I just thought with mine being the same sort of mileage as my last one that a thicker oil might be better?

shea2k 14 December 2007 03:44 PM

Well, thicker yes, I understand where you're coming from, but 74K ain't a 174k, so I wouldn't expect a detrimental amount of wear (unless its been gunned all the way of course).

And 15/50 when heated and circulating would still be slick, it would maintain its viscosity a little longer in that heat range (but just take a little longer to get there to begin with due to it being a tad heavier).

One prouct I swear by, no matter the engine, is Wynns Supercharge for Oil. Ya can get it for about a fiver in any motor factor store. Its a pint of uprated juice that you just pour in with yer normal oil. In my experience, you'll get a slightly better compression in the engine block, more protection and less noise. It should last well between oil changes, but just be sure to allow room in your block for that along side your regular oil fill. Too much oil is worst than not enough in my book!!

AlanPPP 14 December 2007 03:56 PM

Nice one! I'll get some of that when i fill her up :)

Just bought 5 litres of Millers XSS 10W40 off EBAY for £25 :D That's good enough for me.

Gear Head 14 December 2007 04:01 PM

You won't need additives if you use quality oil. :thumb:
10w40/50 fully syn will be fine for a lightly modded engine for road use.

AlanPPP 14 December 2007 06:13 PM

It won't be lightly modded shortly :D Well if you call fully decatted..HKS induction..FMIC..Walbro pump and a JGM Remap lightly?!

SteveJT 14 December 2007 07:14 PM

I have some 0/40W mobil 1 which I got for a good price is this any good for my54 WRX STi? Even if just for the winter??:wonder:

mike799 14 December 2007 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by AlanPPP (Post 7485006)
It won't be lightly modded shortly :D Well if you call fully decatted..HKS induction..FMIC..Walbro pump and a JGM Remap lightly?!

i have a uk my98 on 105k mapped by jgm:D i use millers 10w40 fully syth
no problems at all:thumb:

AlanPPP 14 December 2007 08:01 PM

Sweeeetttttttt cheers man :)

The rookie 15 December 2007 06:09 AM

I feel Shea2k hasn't got a clue what the numbers mean in an oil spec......

Always go for the widest range oil you can get and make sure its to the latest standard, oil is always much thicker cold so getting a lower viscosity (cold, so the first XXW number smaller) is best as its still much thicker than it ever is hot but the lower viscosity oil will get round the engine much faster and give protection quicker, the only time thats not the best is if you have an engine with piston slap when running the thicker oil cold can sometimes help to quieten it down a bit while the pistons heat up.

Simon

Simon

martin850 15 December 2007 03:02 PM

My MY98 has a bit of piston slap from cold so should I use 15w50 semi synthetic oil?

shea2k 16 December 2007 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by The rookie (Post 7485947)
I feel Shea2k hasn't got a clue what the numbers mean in an oil spec......

Always go for the widest range oil you can get and make sure its to the latest standard, oil is always much thicker cold so getting a lower viscosity (cold, so the first XXW number smaller) is best as its still much thicker than it ever is hot but the lower viscosity oil will get round the engine much faster and give protection quicker, the only time thats not the best is if you have an engine with piston slap when running the thicker oil cold can sometimes help to quieten it down a bit while the pistons heat up.

Simon

Simon

Is that not more or less what I was saying bud? I'm not after a row here, just clarification. I said that if the range is 10w40 then it will give better protection from cold starts sooner than a 15w40. and that if it was 15w50 rather than 15w 40, then you're getting getting better protection at a higher temp later also? Am I wrong? If I am, I'll gladly admit it and be thankful for the lesson. Thats what forums are for yeah?

navydog21@hotmail.com 16 December 2007 11:57 AM

sorry to hijack but i have a wrx running just under 300. 74k bug eye. have piston slap on start. what would be recomended please as it seems there is loads of choices.
thanks in advance

SteveJT 16 December 2007 12:20 PM

Come on folks somebody must have an opinion on 0/40W Mobil 1 fo a MY54 STi????:cry:

sparks sti 16 December 2007 12:35 PM

0/40W is a no no i've heard, way too thin must be at least a 5/, 10/, or 15/.

I think a 10/ is a good choice at this time of year.

speak to David @ api for the facts.

APIDavid 16 December 2007 07:11 PM

Never put 0W or 5W anything in an Impreza turbo it will break the engine. The oil sellers and theorists will tell you that it doesn't make any difference BUT in our experience as probably the biggest volume engine builder of Subaru turbo engines in the UK - they break way too often on 0W or 5W oils.

The lower number is how the oil behaves at minus 5 degrees [ or thereabouts] and the bigger number is what the oil actually is. So it follows [ according to the theorists ] that if you use 40 or 50 or grade oil, then the lower number does not really matter as the oil actually IS 40 or 50 !!

The fact remains, in our experience, 0W and 5W in an Impreza turbo engine causes problems, Why risk it??

The oil is about the same money no matter the grade and lmprezas are not bad starters on cold days - no matter what oil you use.

So why not go with the advice that 10 or 15 W seems to protect engines better than 0 or 5.??

David APi

SteveJT- put the Mobil in the lawnmower - anywhere but in the Scoob.

navydog21@hotmail.com 17 December 2007 09:53 AM

great info there dave cheers fo clearing it up

SteveJT 17 December 2007 05:13 PM

Sorted then its going no where near the scoob!

Darent risk it in the lawnmower either, its electric!!:lol1:

APIDavid 17 December 2007 05:20 PM

Less bovver wiv an ovver ! :Whatever_