ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Fixing an old 32" CRT ? Any Experts here...... (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/653562-fixing-an-old-32-crt-any-experts-here.html)

Steve Perriam 13 December 2007 11:52 AM

Fixing an old 32" CRT ? Any Experts here......

been told the fault with our 32" CRT is a 'line circuit'.

The problem with the TV is the focus - it looks like you were underwater viewing it, and it affected TV and DVD playback....if that makes a difference to their diagnosis and estimate....

Estimate to fix of £125 + VAT.

Does this sound reasonable ?

Is it worth doing ?

Wondering on getting another quote and seeing if they compare !

Or just bite the bullet and buy a nice LCD now.

Thanks.

TopBanana 13 December 2007 12:00 PM

I think they mean line to ground circuit?

I wouldn't bother personally, sounds like the ideal excuse to upgrade. If you can wit til new years there'll be some good bargains I expect.

Sonic' 13 December 2007 12:02 PM

I have the same problem with my 32" CRT and a 48" Plasma both need repairing but don't know if I can be ar5ed

I should have an estimate done on them really, so I can decide whether to bin them or not

goonerbear 13 December 2007 12:06 PM

Used to work for Ferguson (years ago) they could mean the "Line output circuit" which contains the LOPT (Line output transformer) which connects to the tube.
Dosent sound to expensive but wouild personally upgrade to a new LCD/Plasma.

Steve Perriam 13 December 2007 12:14 PM

i did not think it sounded to expensive compared to look at the north side of £1000 for the sorta LCD i would want.

The problem with the TV is the focus - it looks like you were underwater viewing it, and it affected TV and DVD playback....if that makes a difference to their diagnosis and estimate....

AndyC_772 13 December 2007 12:51 PM

If you're otherwise happy with it, I'd stick with your CRT and get it fixed.

I have one - a 7 yr old Loewe - and the line output transformer blew (loud bang, black smoke, burning smell) earlier this year. I looked at plasmas and LCDs and decided that, to get a picture anywhere near as good, I'd be spending £1000+. Anything less than that and the picture would be over-saturated, blocky, noisy or just plain rubbish.

So, I got it fixed and now it's perfectly OK again. Maybe I'll look at upgrading when the current crop of £1500 plasmas come down to £500, or when Currys staff learn how to set up a TV properly. I've a feeling hell is scheduled to freeze over first, though.

Steve Perriam 13 December 2007 04:11 PM

thanks all.

might try for a 2nd quote and see if its comparable.

andy97 13 December 2007 04:13 PM

If its the focus circuit at fault, then most of these components are part of the line op transformer, so it would need a new LOPTX. The price is reasonable.

What make and model is the TV?

Andy

Santas Elf 13 December 2007 04:14 PM

Don't waste your time, you'll get it fixed then something else will go pop... it's telling you to put it to sleep... give a sick TV a dignified death in the hands of the local scrap yard! :thumb:

Allan 13 December 2007 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by AndyC_772 (Post 7481906)
If you're otherwise happy with it, I'd stick with your CRT and get it fixed.

I have one - a 7 yr old Loewe - and the line output transformer blew (loud bang, black smoke, burning smell) earlier this year. I looked at plasmas and LCDs and decided that, to get a picture anywhere near as good, I'd be spending £1000+. Anything less than that and the picture would be over-saturated, blocky, noisy or just plain rubbish.

So, I got it fixed and now it's perfectly OK again. Maybe I'll look at upgrading when the current crop of £1500 plasmas come down to £500, or when Currys staff learn how to set up a TV properly. I've a feeling hell is scheduled to freeze over first, though.

With you all the way on that, had the same repair to our loewe and the power supply. No plans to downgrade just yet :D

Allan

Steve Perriam 13 December 2007 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by andy97 (Post 7482381)
If its the focus circuit at fault, then most of these components are part of the line op transformer, so it would need a new LOPTX. The price is reasonable.

Andy

not sure of the model Andy....

But its a Phillips 32". will be 4 yrs old in Jan !

Steve Perriam 14 December 2007 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by andy97 (Post 7482381)

Andy

its a Philips 32 PW9528.

Leslie 14 December 2007 12:49 PM

I should put the money towards a new TV

Les