ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Car Care (https://www.scoobynet.com/car-care-380/)
-   -   can i clean a car at low temps (https://www.scoobynet.com/car-care-380/653021-can-i-clean-a-car-at-low-temps.html)

mac12 10 December 2007 10:06 PM

can i clean a car at low temps

would it be ok to do a wash,clay polish etc tomorrow on a family members new car ready for the really bad weather as it really needs it. just wondering if its ok to do as its supposed to be about -1 where i am tonight and about +6 tomorrow day with no rain, i will unfortunately be doing it outdoors aswell. :thumb:

simonbb1328 11 December 2007 08:45 PM

The only bad part of that I believe is how cold you will be. Okay for the car tho

+Doc+ 11 December 2007 10:05 PM

If i was claying id be tempted to keep the clay warm and pliable at all times and use a nice hot lather to keep the car bodywork temps up.

F1 CJE UK 11 December 2007 11:49 PM

NO you will get cold ..... easy next Q

how did it go, did you use a clay bar as i would have thought that would be the only big issue

rubbishboy 12 December 2007 09:08 AM

Apart from getting cold and numb hands, you should be fine.

As above, watch the clay. If the clay is too cold you could up with marring. Warm it and work it well before use and keep it warm. Depending on the clay you could break it up into a couple of pieces and keep one piece in some warm water (some clays will fall apart though if left to soak, you can always put it in a container first), while using the other and then swap around every so often.

If you are waxing then some hard waxes may be hard work to get going in the cold temps, keep it inside before use or use a softer wax.

Also watch condensation as the temps drop (more) in the afternoon/evening.

SC008Y_MAD 12 December 2007 08:04 PM

....just to add with afternoon temp falling, start with the roof then bonnet then boot/spoiler then do the doors etc.

Santas Elf 13 December 2007 08:33 AM

I need to wash mine, keep putting it off due to the bloody cold weather!

V4JDMSTi 13 December 2007 11:52 AM

get yourself a gazebo to put up over the car. won't make much difference but will keep the wind chill off. if claying i would use 2 clay bars as said above. leave one in a warm soapy liquid mixture. this way it'll clean the clay bar out and also leave it nice and supple.

personally in this cold weather i'd use a very soft or liquid wax or even switch to an acrylic sealant. mainly because it'll be easier to remove the residue in the cold but the acrylic product will give a great protection.

personally i like mothers advanced reflections top coat along with nattys or nattys blue. with the mothers tc you can layer it under and over waxes unlike many other sealants. this will give you a great finish and superb protection.

mac12 13 December 2007 07:45 PM

managed to do it, no problems with the clay having taken the advice from here about keep warming it in the bucket of warm water.the paint felt really smooth but after putting the clay on you could see just how bad it was espically on the roof and bonnet.
really new to detailing but this was the method and products i used:

wash with megs nxt wash and shampoo (2 bucket method)
dry the car
megs claybar and spray
wash car again megs nxt
megs stage 1 paint restorer
megs show and shine 7
poorboys ex-p sealant
alloys washed with autogym and then poorboys sealant
megs trim restorer
megs hot tyre shine
megs window clean

i was told to use a wax aswell in a day or two on top of the ex-p sealant,not sure if it needs it though.
the car was silver and came up really well and took about 5 hours by hand