ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Clarkson slates the new WRX in the Sunday Times (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/652672-clarkson-slates-the-new-wrx-in-the-sunday-times.html)

Greatnorth 09 December 2007 11:19 AM

Clarkson slates the new WRX in the Sunday Times

a dreary 2 stars from 5!

I know he isnt the be all and end all of car opinions but has his article got any truth in it?

nik52wrx 09 December 2007 11:28 AM

Autoexpress did a review and it didn't do well there either.
I had a close look at one a couple of weeks ago and i can say 100% i will never buy one. For what they cost to buy, run, insure etc there are better cars out there.
Also, imo the car should have been given a different name as its no 'Impreza'

Nik.

Robocop 09 December 2007 11:36 AM

Jeremy Clarkson Subaru Impreza 2.5 WRX review | Driving - Times Online

anthscooby01 09 December 2007 11:39 AM

I really hope its the biggest flop in motoring history. What planet are the designers from. As above it should not wear the Impreza badge. It should have been handed over to Kia for them to sell instead. Sure there customers would love it. GIVE US BACK OUR IMPREZA!!!

Alan MaC 09 December 2007 11:44 AM

Just read it on the Sunday Times Web Page.

He's saying THe Scoob V's Evo, Evo better to drive, the Scoob better on a day to day basis.

Also, he awaits the STI, I think he's not alone in that?:)

Regards

Alan MaC

Triple X 09 December 2007 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Alan MaC (Post 7470918)

He's saying THe Scoob V's Evo, Evo better to drive, the Scoob better on a day to day basis.

From my understanding he means from past versions, and says the new STi will be a firmed up version but still ugly. Ultimately the EVO is now the forerunner.

andythejock01wrx 09 December 2007 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Alan MaC (Post 7470918)
Just read it on the Sunday Times Web Page.

Regards

Alan MaC

He also said "in the battle between the Evo and the Impreza, things just got one sided".

:cry: :cry: :cry:

whitepilgrim 09 December 2007 01:12 PM

Hammond also gave it bad review in the Mirror last week.

mgcvk 09 December 2007 01:13 PM

Clarkson is spot on as usual. He's obviously right as well about impreza owners getting obsessed with ownership of the car. This WRX isn't going to get that reception. Will the Sti? Nobody liked the Hawkeye at first but that was at least recognisably an impreza.

andythejock01wrx 09 December 2007 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by mgcvk (Post 7471039)
Clarkson is spot on as usual. He's obviously right as well about impreza owners getting obsessed with ownership of the car. This WRX isn't going to get that reception. Will the Sti? Nobody liked the Hawkeye at first but that was at least recognisably an impreza.

I did.

But then I do own a bugeye. ;)

Sideways 09 December 2007 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by mgcvk (Post 7471039)

I do own one but always loved the look of the Hawkeye, its like a return to the classic :D

mgcvk 09 December 2007 02:35 PM

Even with the bugeye just changing the headlights completely changed the look of the car. You would need a lump hammer and a chainsaw to sort this thing out!

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y240/mgcvk/19588.jpg

Leic_Matt 09 December 2007 02:47 PM

Big pants. Subaru has lost the plot in terms of car aesthetics. Question: do you think this car will be more aerodynamic than its predecessors?

Phil Harrison 09 December 2007 03:54 PM

Don't forget, chaps, it isn't aimed at a market consisting of people like us, who are relatively few in number - and the Emission Regs have given the whole 'pocket rocket' concept a mighty blow.... Disappointed - yes: Surprised - No.

Phil

scoobie_girl 09 December 2007 04:16 PM

horrible one went pass me on motorway i laughed my head of at it

Angelique 09 December 2007 04:25 PM

It's a shyte car. Will not be trading my car in for that thing. Subaru has lost that in your face, get the **** outa my way, the road belongs to me appeal....

mickyjeff 09 December 2007 04:26 PM

agree

agree with all above it should never have the famous name

mick

The Zohan 09 December 2007 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by mgcvk (Post 7471221)
Even with the bugeye just changing the headlights completely changed the look of the car. You would need a lump hammer and a chainsaw to sort this thing out!

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y240/mgcvk/19588.jpg

The Impreza range has always be distinctive and since the demise of the classic - a lot of comments passed by a lot of people on how Subaru have lost the plot design wise.

I bought a classic MY99 and TBH i loved the shape and looks of it, it has a certian brute look and appeal, it was the sort of car that stood out from the crowd - i know beauty is in the eye of the beholder but to me the classic was a great shape. It looked different, special somehow.

The Fug/blob/hawk/ are different, not massively but different and where always going to get stick reharding their lookds and design as they are different from the classic.

I could live with any of the above.

The new design is just not working for me, i have seen this over a period of two months and my feeling have not changed at all.

It is bland and looks like an far eastern interpretation just another eurobox. I for one will not buy one for this reason. This car does not look special, it does not stand out, it does not have any of the soul of the previous cars.

Subaru rally heritage (and face it what else does Subaru have) aside, the car is bland and has no appeal whatsoever for me.

One good thing is that the previous models will be more desireable.

The Guys at Mitsubishi must be laughing their sock off, whilst they have has some of their own design problems these pale into insignificance.

I do doubt very much is Subaru rely on sales of the Justy, Legacy and that big-pig of a 4x4 for a majority of thier sales in the UK - imagine the dealers are in for some hard times.

andythejock01wrx 09 December 2007 06:09 PM

Well, for me, in terms of looks -

Hawkeye - big step forward

2008 Eurobland - two huge steps back !

WRXshaneWRX 09 December 2007 06:17 PM

classic all the way

scottstiukppp 09 December 2007 06:26 PM

Clarkson slates the new WRX in the Sunday Times....

Good lad!!!

How long do you think it will be till subaru realise theve made a big mistake changing an icon so drastically?

corradoboy 09 December 2007 06:35 PM

I agree with everyone's comments but will reserve judgement until I have driven an STi, then go buy an EvoX :D

FWIW, this was posted earlier.....CLICKY The STi is quicker than the EvoX, but slightly slower than Blob and Hawkeye's.

magicgreg 09 December 2007 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by anthscooby01 (Post 7470909)
I really hope its the biggest flop in motoring history. What planet are the designers from. As above it should not wear the Impreza badge. It should have been handed over to Kia for them to sell instead. Sure there customers would love it. GIVE US BACK OUR IMPREZA!!!

Exactly :thumb:

Steve Scooby 09 December 2007 07:33 PM

it looks like a ford focus with a bonnet vent sheait

Angelique 09 December 2007 07:38 PM

IMO the classic is the best looking scoob around, followed very closley by the blob eye. The 2008 looks more Mazda than Subaru. I think Subaru tried to design a car to apeal to the Golf and ST market, but failed. It's only going to be an overpriced (in SA) hatchback. It wont have the comfort of the BMW 1 series, it wont have the street apeal of the Golf GTI. It's a waste of time and a slap in the face to those loyal to the brand. My next car will be the EVO X.

richs2891 09 December 2007 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Angelique (Post 7471945)
The 2008 looks more Mazda than Subaru.

I'm pretty convinced it is in fact a Mazda 323 simply with a different front end and a Subaru engine in !
Same way as the Legacy is based upon the Mazda 626 !

Richard

T5NYW 09 December 2007 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by corradoboy (Post 7471741)
but will reserve judgement until I have driven an STi, then go buy an EvoX :D

I'm a "Cup half full" sort of guy and eagerly awwaiting the STi :D like most I would have prefered a Saloon but willing to give the Sti a chance till I've seen and driven it :D

I much prefer the Driving Position in the Hatchback and there romm for 5 adults unlike my sti is cramped with 4 adults and a small teenager ;)

Originally Posted by corradoboy (Post 7471741)
FWIW, this was posted earlier.....CLICKY The STi is quicker than the EvoX, but slightly slower than Blob and Hawkeye's.

I'm very suprised and slightly disappionted that it didn't beat blob's and Hawkeyes :(

Tony

firesorter 09 December 2007 07:58 PM

Hear hear,
the old pecking order was skyline, evo then closely scooby, this new `thing` doesnt deserve that, its crap, looking at the artical in evo and its lifting a front wheel in a bend for fks sake. Subaru think long and hard my friends and give us a real succesor to the brand not this POS.

corradoboy 09 December 2007 08:20 PM

Is it a Mazda :wonder:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...11imp-maz1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...011overlay.jpg

andythejock01wrx 09 December 2007 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by corradoboy (Post 7472073)
Is it a Mazda :wonder:

Nah Dave, it's not as quick as the equivalent Mazda !!