ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Sky Plus Question (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/652622-sky-plus-question.html)

jiffthejiffmanjaffa 08 December 2007 09:10 PM

Sky Plus Question

How do,

I've got standard Sky at the moment, but I've been thinking of getting Sky plus.

If I bought a Sky plus box second hand and connected it up, would it work?

Or do I have to go through Sky, and pay them an extra £10 a month like they say?

Lisawrx 08 December 2007 09:12 PM

I'm not sure, but we have Sky plus and don't pay an extra £10 a month for it. The only cost was to buy the new box.

mannyo 08 December 2007 09:13 PM

Sky plus subscription is now free, as long as you subscribe to a normal sky package. All you need to do once you get the + box, is call them to pair your viewing card to the sky plus box. You also need to ask them to enable the plus functionality.

speye91 08 December 2007 09:14 PM

Have you upgraded your sky dish?

jiffthejiffmanjaffa 08 December 2007 09:14 PM

I didn't think so.

I think the extra £10 is Sky trying to squeeze yet more money out of me.

Anyone else know for sure?

jiffthejiffmanjaffa 08 December 2007 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by speye91 (Post 7470128)
Have you upgraded your sky dish?

No, why do I need to?

jiffthejiffmanjaffa 08 December 2007 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by mannyo (Post 7470124)
Sky plus subscription is now free, as long as you subscribe to a normal sky package. All you need to do once you get the + box, is call them to pair your viewing card to the sky plus box. You also need to ask them to enable the plus functionality.

Extra cheers buddy, onto eBay go them to buy a cheap box

Phil 08 December 2007 09:16 PM

WRONG !!!

You will need a Quad LNB installed and another line put into the house to enable the 2nd Channel to be used on the Sky Plus Box

Once thats done give sky a call and they will sort

speye91 08 December 2007 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by jiffthejiffmanjaffa (Post 7470131)
No, why do I need to?

Yes,the little box thing on the dish,needs to be changed for a one with 2 wires coming out.

nemo1983 08 December 2007 09:17 PM

hi i used to be one of the mugs who worked at sky,lol and im afraid for sky + you need to have 2 cables coming from the dish not the normal 1 cable, if you have these 2 cables then yes you can just buy a box and connect both cables, to activate the recording you would need to call sky and get them to activate this as far as im aware it no longer costs £10 per month, its free as long as you have a package.hope this helps!!!

Lisawrx 08 December 2007 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by jiffthejiffmanjaffa (Post 7470129)
I didn't think so.

I think the extra £10 is Sky trying to squeeze yet more money out of me.

Anyone else know for sure?

Is the extra £10, not for multi room, if you want it. We pay for that, but if we just had the sky plus alone, it would have cost no more than what we had been paying.

jiffthejiffmanjaffa 08 December 2007 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by phil_stephens (Post 7470134)
WRONG !!!

You will need a Quad LNB installed and another line put into the house to enable the 2nd Channel to be used on the Sky Plus Box

Once thats done give sky a call and they will sort

I'm guessing as I'm no engineer, I'll need to call Sky out to get that fitted?

logiclee 08 December 2007 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by jiffthejiffmanjaffa (Post 7470140)
I'm guessing as I'm no engineer, I'll need to call Sky out to get that fitted?

Any local aerial man or sat installer will do it for you if you don't want to go through sky.

If you're capable it's an easy DIY job if you buy a quad LNB as well as you're new Sky+ box.

Cheers
Lee

Phil 08 December 2007 09:26 PM

^^^ Wot he said ^^^^

darms 09 December 2007 10:27 AM

Upgraded to Sky+ on Thursday, £49.99 for the SKY+ Box and FREE Installation (booked in for Friday). Didnt see the point of getting on from ebay at that price :thumb:

Also I've got a Triax DDU and just ran another coax from the unit to the dish (the engineer can hook it up to the quad LNB). Sorted :)

ScoobyDoo555 09 December 2007 02:02 PM

Isn't it only £49 if you have a super-duper package or B/band with them?

I've got the basic one, the best deal they can do me is £99. IMHO, alot of money for a device that will replace my video (something I don't use anyway! :D)

Dan

apples24 09 December 2007 02:38 PM

do what we just did, recomend a friend and you each get a free sky + box, so my bro in laws getting sky fitted next week :)

mind you they are charging me £30 to install it so its not free lol

gotmashed 11 December 2007 10:14 AM

Phone up sky tell them you want to cancel when they ask why tell them you have been offerd cable v box for free and as you work shifts you miss half the stuff you want to watch they will say about sky + and offer it you for £49 fitted say you can get the cable for free and you really dont want to spend any more to watch a few programs they will then ofer you a grade a box fitted for free. I got mine this way

ScoobyDoo555 11 December 2007 10:32 AM

Fair enough - the problem being that my area (the middle of nowhere!) can't get cable. Knowing my luck they'd force my hand :D

Dan

gotmashed 11 December 2007 12:19 PM

I cant get cable here lol i live on the isle of wight. You have to give them 30 days notice so you can always phone them back up the day before :)