ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Slow Downloads (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/652556-slow-downloads.html)

Phil Harrison 08 December 2007 04:11 PM

Slow Downloads

All of a sudden about a week ago, my file download speed (ADSL, Browser download, IE6/NS8.1) collapsed from about 300KB/s to around 45 KB/s for, apparently, no reason. It has remained there ever since.

THINKBROADBAND.COM speed test tells me that around 450KB/s IS (technically) actually available; and my wife's computer is pulling down files at an actual speed around 200-300KB/s. 2 minutes later, the same file from the same server comes to me at 45! This seems to remove Router setup and house wiring problems from the equation (and both have been checked anyway); and also BT line?

Is there a setup parameter on my PC which may have been corrupted? If so, where should I look, for what? Or am I possibly being throttled by my ISP? (can an ISP distinguish between different PCs on a home net???) I'm not running P2P, BTW.

TIA

Phil Harrison

bioforger 08 December 2007 05:35 PM

More likely to be an issue with your network card. Try a PCI NIC to rule it out.

Phil Harrison 09 December 2007 03:47 PM

Thanks, bioforger. I've subsequently found that my Windows Firewall had been switched on (by a micros**t update??) unknown to me! It's been switched off again PDQ!!! I was getting much better speeds yesterday.... I'll see if the improvement lasts

Phil

bioforger 09 December 2007 04:10 PM

mmm Firewall wouldnt affect speeds, it would if anything just block certain sites, areas. Sounds like it could be an intermittent issue.

GazTheHat 10 December 2007 04:00 PM

I know Tiscali throttle the speeds during peak hours.

So i found out trying to get the hatton fight.

Phil Harrison 12 December 2007 10:04 AM

Hmm... Could the firewall fiddle with the ports to disadvantage? Remember, the same file from the same site at (effectively) the same time comes down much quicker on one PC on the same net than the other!

However, since cancelling MS firewall the restored expected higher D/L speed has remained except one evening at a peak hour.....

Cheers

Phil

bioforger 12 December 2007 12:54 PM

Not unless you tell it to no, and windows firewall doesn't have that functionality anyway. The firewall is not a factor!

The ISP can fiddle with the ports though, or even block them. So this does sound like the ISP is throttling connections, hence why you saw good speeds one minute and poor the next.

Phil Harrison 12 December 2007 05:37 PM

Thanks! In spirit of enquiry, rather than arguing, can my ISP distinguish between my machine online and my wife's machine online, they being both part of my one domestic Wireless network operating through the same Router??

TIA

Phil

bioforger 12 December 2007 06:55 PM

No, because you are sharing the connection from the ISP via your router.

Phil Harrison 14 December 2007 09:20 AM

OK - I'm back @ stage 1! I'm back to snail-speed, but the wife's PC will download same file from same server at (effectively) the same time (not simultaneously, obviously!) at 4 times the speed I can get!! Which leads me back to half of my original question... is there some parameter on my PC that might be mis-set, as my ISP can't throttle me but not the missus 'cos he can't tell between us!

Talking of throttling the missus...........!!!

Cheers

Phil

bioforger 14 December 2007 03:23 PM

I reckon it's your NIC then. You need to rule that out.

Phil Harrison 15 December 2007 03:50 PM

Thanks. Aaarrgh - I'm old enough and ugly enough to have thought of that myself.. but I didn't! Credit to Bioforger!!

Downloaded and installed updated Netgear Wireless Adapter drivers and - bingo!! Mind you, that's not saying that all is necessary stable, but it has worked for three consecutive sessions....

Thanks

Phil Harrison