ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Your opinions on these Type R's (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/652239-your-opinions-on-these-type-rs.html)

Ste RB5138 06 December 2007 08:27 PM

Your opinions on these Type R's

My mate is thinking of leaving the MR2 Turbo fold, and getting a 3-door Impreza.

He has noticed these two on eBay:

1998 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Version 5 Type R / P1 coupe on eBay, also, Subaru, Cars, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 30-Dec-07 18:00:47 GMT)

Is midnight purple a Subaru colour :Suspiciou

And this one:

1997 Subaru Impreza wrx sti type r/ P1 version 3 on eBay, also, Subaru, Cars, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 12-Dec-07 18:01:56 GMT)

Do these look worth the money? I think both sellers are dealers.

Sc(n)ooby 06 December 2007 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by C McRae (Post 7465693)
I think both sellers are dealers.

As both pages are set in EXACTLY the same way, i'd be inclined to think "both" sellers are the same person :wonder:

JP4 06 December 2007 09:07 PM

Having previously owned a Type R, I cannot recall having ever come across a Purple colour :wonder: ....

The second one for 52k seems reasonable to me....especially if it comes with a warranty. Then again I have heard small dealers sell cars with warranty but these aren't bona fide warranties - especially when they cannot spell Warranties!. Whatever your mate does tell him to be careful. :thumb:

Ste RB5138 06 December 2007 09:15 PM

Cheers,

I just noticed the white engine bay, I always midnight purple was a Skyline colour!

dave247 06 December 2007 09:15 PM

it is the same person selling them both

JP4 06 December 2007 09:33 PM

Besides whether the colour is genuine or respray, the engine is a recon/rebuild....personally I would never buy a recon/rebuild engine...but then that's my personal opinion. Get you mate to look on the Auto Trader/Top Marques website as he may get an idea of any others going. The Type R will be rare though.

Dave R 07 December 2007 09:10 AM

Which one?

Don't touch the resprayed purple one. No one will want it when he comes to sell it. The Blue V3 looks nice with the front mount and 22B bumper. Best go and have a really good look around it, esp as it's been modded.

For my money, he's better off waiting for the right V5/V6/P1 that's not been messed about with. They'll be the one's that hold their money the best of all, bar the 22B.

First post in years. You should be honoured!

DR

[Davey] 07 December 2007 10:16 AM

Personally I think the TypeR's are over-priced, why pay all that extra money just to drop the back doors? Yes they look better but is it worth it?

[Davey] 07 December 2007 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by JP4 (Post 7465812)
Having previously owned a Type R, I cannot recall having ever come across a Purple colour :wonder: ....

Kind of looks like Black Mica, but the version that Nissan used :)

EddScott 07 December 2007 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by [Davey] (Post 7466654)
Personally I think the TypeR's are over-priced, why pay all that extra money just to drop the back doors? Yes they look better but is it worth it?

Is what I'm thinking too. As much as I like the P1, I can get a V5 STI RA for half the price and have more space.

I guess the you pay for the rarity factor of 2 door shells compared to 4.

juggers 07 December 2007 10:39 AM

I would of thought the 2 door shell would have been more rigid giving the car better handling.

EddScott 07 December 2007 11:01 AM

From all accounts, the Type Rs are more "twitchy" which although makes for a more nimble drive it can also make them a handful.

EVO magazine once said the Wagon was the best handling of the classics. :eek:

[Davey] 07 December 2007 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by EddScott (Post 7466669)
Is what I'm thinking too. As much as I like the P1, I can get a V5 STI RA for half the price and have more space.

I guess the you pay for the rarity factor of 2 door shells compared to 4.

Internally they have the same dimensions. The chassis are identical other than one has no rear doors and longer front doors :thumb:

2 door would defo be more rigid though but nothing you'ed notice on the road.

stevie1982 07 December 2007 12:19 PM

imo if you want a type r that has been modded tell your mate to wait and hold out for someone who has decided to sell up from on here or the type r forum or the the p1 owners club

atleast then you have a better chance of getting one that has been looked after as most people who are on here and other forums imo i would hope would tend to be more of an enthusist etc and it woul dcome with some uk history/recipts for work carried out by companies that you can contact etc

depends on what he wants but as said the sti 5/6 would be cheaper than the type r or p1 an dleave spare cash to spend on modding it if that is waht he wants to do

all my opinion though

he will not unhappy with the car itself i just sold my p1 and loved every minute in it, soo much i am struggling to think of what to get next and may end up getting another

whiterat25 07 December 2007 01:56 PM

I do believe that both those cars have been on ebay 2 or 3 times over the last couple of months while I've been looking for a car..

Ste RB5138 07 December 2007 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Dave R (Post 7466543)

First post in years. You should be honoured!

DR

I am indeed Honoured Sir :lol1:

jd5217 07 December 2007 04:23 PM

Subaru : WRX STi Type R Version 5 ltd edition

this is a nice clean example

winker 07 December 2007 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by jd5217 (Post 7467461)

The purple impreza looks terrible its not a genuine car.

JP4 07 December 2007 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by jd5217 (Post 7467461)

mmm....looks good I admit. The Type R will old their value slightly longer than a normal WRX. Also note that as it is a Jap import, only certain insurance companies will touch it - so do the planning before hand. :thumb:

Think we've managed to agree that the purple one looks a little dodge to me - I would stay away from that.

winker 07 December 2007 08:28 PM

The type r is one if not the best impreza ever made and not overpriced i have a 97 type r standard which cost than most sti 4 doors

Az Sti Type R 08 December 2007 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by C McRae (Post 7465693)
My mate is thinking of leaving the MR2 Turbo fold, and getting a 3-door Impreza.

Sorry, I just have to say this as it really gets my back up, Coupe = 2 door, Hatch = 3 door! :cuckoo: :nono: :razz:

stuart148 08 December 2007 09:06 AM

iv got a very nice type r for sale mate
take a look at view my scoob

stu

pnbond007 08 December 2007 10:47 AM

I'de love a type R shell, then hopefully graft my RA stuff on board...which I pressume is possible...

Be great to have a wide bodied version same as the wrc classics.....

Only thing stopping me would be an awfull waste of breaking my lovely example of an early RA, plus dont really have the room two do thgis type of project.

Steve_PPP 08 December 2007 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by whiterat25 (Post 7467140)
I do believe that both those cars have been on ebay 2 or 3 times over the last couple of months while I've been looking for a car..

Yeah, that purple one has been kicking around for months......

Fat Boy 08 December 2007 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Az Sti Type R (Post 7468656)
Sorry, I just have to say this as it really gets my back up, Coupe = 2 door, Hatch = 3 door! :cuckoo: :nono: :razz:

You beat me to it - wtf people think a boot lid equals a third door is beyond me. :rolleyes:

mickywrx 08 December 2007 08:40 PM

The Ebay seller seems to be a numptie.

Quote:

plz note that these were better than the P1 as they come with active locking dif and 4 pot callipers.otherwise the same as a P1

So the P1 came with 2 pots then :freak3: :lol1:

I would never buy a car from an Ebay seller, personal preference.

JP4 08 December 2007 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by stuart148 (Post 7468707)
iv got a very nice type r for sale mate
take a look at view my scoob

stu

What a beauty you got there Stuart! :)

stuart148 08 December 2007 09:57 PM

thanks mate,,,,

stu

what would scooby do 08 December 2007 10:06 PM

Yes is the answer to that question.. 2 door version of most marques are more desireable (sp)

what would scooby do 08 December 2007 10:10 PM

p.s. Ronjeremey's Type-R is the one to go for. It's well known on this BBS*

*I spent lots of time & money on it when I owned it and it was a fab car in a super colour :D:D