ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   What did you do in New York? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/651932-what-did-you-do-in-new-york.html)

SetoN 05 December 2007 01:00 PM

What did you do in New York?

Off to NY in 2 weeks with girlfriend. What would anyone recomend doing that doesnt automatically come to mind? ie Empire state etc.

My girlfreinds mum went 3 years ago, and now she thinks shes a f*cking NY tour guide or somthing. Planing out my 4 days with a time table!

I want to come back and say, "we went this place.. what? you never went there?? pfft" :hjtwofing

So if you been New York and had a great time somewhere, Or just know a great Hot spot?

Let me know :thumb:

Cheers.

SetoN 05 December 2007 01:52 PM

:wonder:

SJ_Skyline 05 December 2007 01:55 PM

Grand Central Station Oyster Bar - BOOK IN ADVANCE!!! :thumb:

ChrisB 05 December 2007 03:01 PM

I came back from NY last week...

As SJ says, if you like fish, Grand Central Oyster Bar is superb. If you don't like fish, then don't bother as out of an A3 sized menu, three items weren't fishy.

We went up Top of the Rock (Rockfeller Center) first thing one morning (no queues), then went up the Empire State at night (it's open till 1am IIRC). Again, no queuing (it's only when you get inside and see all the queueing lanes, you realise it must be hell at times). Pick a clear night though, otherwise you'll be in the clouds.

Some sensible shopping. iPods didn't seem to work any cheaper than in the UK but you can make some decent savings with the £/$ rate.

Mitchy260 05 December 2007 03:03 PM

Empire state building
Central park
Ground zero
Statue of liberty

Surely must sees for a tourist going to NY

andrewdelvard 05 December 2007 03:04 PM

Got to do the Diner thing for breakfast or late night coffee. The food is amazing and you feel like you're in a movie :D

Buster-WRX 05 December 2007 03:05 PM

The best way to see New york is by helicopter.

We used these guys - Welcome to Liberty Helicopters

Well worth the money and suprisingly cheap!
I promise you will not be dissapointed.:)

SetoN 05 December 2007 03:05 PM

Thanks for the advice guys :thumb:

stevem2k 05 December 2007 03:11 PM

If you are going to grand central, grab a cheesecake from the shop ( it's towards the platforms as I recall ) .. they're :thumb:

Freak 05 December 2007 03:34 PM

Ill post later... busy at the moment...

ps- search. NY threads been on here before..

Markus 05 December 2007 03:34 PM

My advice is to wrap up warm. It's a bit cold and snowy over in NYC at the moment (has been snowing here and around -2 to -6 for the past few days here)

Apart from that, pretty much what everyone else has said. New York Public Library to get the obligatory picture with the Lions (probably wearing Santa hats right now) is worth it.

There is an aircraft carrier moored somewhere that has all kinds of planes on deck, think there's an SR-71 (Blackbird) on there, and the is/used to be a Concorde on/next to it as well, might be worth a look.

A boat trip round the island is worth it (think there are two trips a 1 hour and 3 hour), but it will be cold and not sure if they run them in the winter.

Ellis Island could be worth a look, more so if, like me, some of your relatives were immigrants to the US.

SetoN 05 December 2007 04:24 PM

I like the sound of that aircraft carrier. Dont think the g/f will though :razz:

Might catch a train somewhere close by. Brooklen has a big mall i think. King plazza mall? Dont want to get lost though :idea: or end up in Harlem :D

Will do the whole NY diner thing. Want to try book Planet Hollywood.

KiwiGTI 05 December 2007 04:47 PM

I think the aircraft carrier, USS Intrepid, is closed for refurbishment and will reopen next year (November 2008)

Rockefeller Center is better than Empire State IMO, especially the lifts at night.

Statue of Liberty is over-rated, you are better off just getting the free Staten Island ferry and taking in the views from there. Save loads and you won't have to wait in queues.

Harlem is a great area, try and catch a show at the Apollo and try some of the food around there. Harlem tours can be quite interesting.

ChrisB 05 December 2007 05:08 PM

Echo taking the Staten Island ferry. Depending on which ferry it is, you should be able to stand outside and get a good view / pictures.

stevem2k 05 December 2007 05:09 PM

Oh, and if you are a Kevin Smith fan , Redbank NJ is a short train ride from Penn Station :thumb:

3times 05 December 2007 05:12 PM

Rainbow Rooms - top of Rockafella Tower. Meal or just drinks with great view over Manhatten.

Spent a night in Ben E Kings bar/grill, just off of Times Sq. Great Blues and Stella poured from a saxaphone!!!

Star Diner on Seventh - waiters & waitresses on roller skates and do the odd song. A bit over priced but ok.

Shame the Intrepid is shut, I quite enjoyed it. The tribute to 9/11 was very moving.

Have to agree about Liberty Helicopters, excellent!

Empire State - Go and get the tickets first thing, do the Sky Ride (simulator) and then go back late afternoon to go to the top, that way you see Manhatten in daylight then as the sun goes down.

Bubba Gumps Shrimp House on Times Sq.

Century 21 for cheap designer clothes. Thought it was a bit like a jumble sale though.

Ice skating in Central Park.

Just a few to be going on with.

scoob_babe 05 December 2007 05:18 PM

Wish we'd done the Rainbow Room when we were there.
I wouldn't bother with Planet Hollywood though - the menus are the same the world over - go for something that it more 'New York'
Tao is good for Asian food with a twist, Quality Meats if you like steak.

lpski1 05 December 2007 05:22 PM

Take the B, D, N or F trains to Coney Island :thumb: :cool:

SetoN 05 December 2007 05:23 PM

I'll look out for that Staten Ferry, sounds good :thumb:

Markus 05 December 2007 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by stevem2k (Post 7462456)
Oh, and if you are a Kevin Smith fan , Redbank NJ is a short train ride from Penn Station :thumb:

Snootchie Bootchies

KiwiGTI 05 December 2007 05:30 PM

Do not waste any time in Planet Hollywood, easily the worst service and food I've experienced anywhere. The decor is old and tired too.

PG 05 December 2007 05:30 PM

Go to the 'Garden to see a Knicks game.
2007-2008 KNICKS SCHEDULE

Paul.

AsifScoob 05 December 2007 05:33 PM

Liberty Helicopters is ok but not as exciting as I first thought - I wanted Airwolf but the Wife was not even remotely air sick. Good view on a clear day, but not cheap IMO.

Intrepid was not there in July, was berthed in Staten Island, so probably not available. It is a YF-71 prototype, not the SR-71. I went there specifically for this on a previous visit, but was only slightly let down - it is still very impressive.

Loads of places spring to mind but the old lady has probably been there, Greenwich Village, Upper East Side, Central Park etc etc.

Harlem is worth a visit and not too far to go to the Bronx too!

Personal favourite was the Church Lounge, belongs to Robert De Niro and is in the Tribeca area. Not cheap however, as a few nibbles and drinks came to about £150. I still liked it though.

Asif

Reality 05 December 2007 05:34 PM

Top of the Marriott in Times Square - revolving restaurant / bar. Sit down - get pissed - watch NY come round to you.

Reality 05 December 2007 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by lpski1 (Post 7462498)
Take the B, D, N or F trains to Coney Island :thumb: :cool:

Just watch out for the Warriors :)

http://gothamist.com/attachments/jen..._warriors1.jpg

The Snug Rhino 05 December 2007 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by PG (Post 7462528)
Go to the 'Garden to see a Knicks game.
2007-2008 KNICKS SCHEDULE

Paul.

If you're then on the 23rd go watch the Lakers play (will make up for having to watch the Knicks ;) ..... might see Nicholson and co in the front row :D

PG 05 December 2007 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by The Snug Rhino (Post 7462591)
If you're then on the 23rd go watch the Lakers play (will make up for having to watch the Knicks ;)

:D
You're right though, the Lakers game would be the one to see.
You could sit next to Spike and ask him why there's more tallent in the coaching staff than there is on the court :D

jods 05 December 2007 07:51 PM

McSorley's Old Ale House

Great atmos, great beer.

THE HOG PIT - hogpit.com

Great atmos, great ribs, great beer, great jukebox, great pool table

Oh - If you're a Ramones Fan like me, Get down to "Rockaway Beeeeeeach" and "Beat on a Brat" or go "Surfin' Bird" ya big "Cretin Hop" :)

Jamie 05 December 2007 08:34 PM

USS Intrepid is good and get a helicopter ride over ny:thumb:

Klaatu 06 December 2007 01:05 AM

The sex museum, and the toy museum, national history museum. I was there shortly after 911, 2001, at "ground zero" in winter with two feet of snow everywhere, laying a "reeth" for a friend who lost a friend that day.