ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Restaurants in York (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/651926-restaurants-in-york.html)

Charles aka Charlie 05 December 2007 12:20 PM

Restaurants in York

Hi People,

The wife and I will be up in York on Sunday and I was just looking for recommendations for a nice restaurant (ideally in the city centre).

Nothing too flash thanks! Just want somewhere with good food and a nice environment. Just looking for English/A la Carte type menu.

Cheers,

Charlie

Abdabz 05 December 2007 12:23 PM

If Rish is still going on Fossgate (I think thats where it was) then that's a good choice. Pricey but excellent... We had a great night out there.

girl-in-a-scoob 05 December 2007 01:12 PM

Little Italy on Goodramgate Italian is nice Little Italy York. Italian Restaurant Reviews.

Ye Old Sun Inn, about 15 mins from centre towards Leeds ye old sun inn colton tadcaster north yorkshire multi award winning 18th century pub restaurant and deli

If you want the city Centre itself then Browns Of York Department Store has a restaurant upstairs called Rhodes which is nice,
Those shoppers who seek out Rhodes on their way round Brown’s two floors of fashions and homeware will be rewarded with a pleasant antidote to the usual concept of an instore café. Here there are no self-service buffets, with processed food and grumpy checkout girls. Instead, all food is cooked freshly to order, by chefs you can see working in the open-plan kitchen, in elegant and minimalist surroundings. Breakfast is served throughout the day and the main menu contains a well-balanced mix of lighter bites such as baguettes and jacket potatoes, alongside more substantial main courses including Pork Stroganoff and Welsh Rarebit. The prices belie the up-market feel of the restaurant, with nearly all the main dishes coming in at around the £6 mark, and if the shopping is all getting a bit too much, the small but well selected wine list is very reasonable indeed. Service is quietly attentive and helpful but to save you having to ask

Charles aka Charlie 06 December 2007 12:35 PM

Thanks for the replies :)

Think Rish has the vote so far. But any other recommendations before I book?

Cheers,

Charlie

Trout 06 December 2007 02:02 PM

Rish closed nearly two years ago as it simply was not good enough to keep the punters coming in.

The restaurant that replaced it does not open on Sundays (J Bakers).

You could try Blue Bicycle, Horvilles (Steak and Fish), Living Room (it's a chain but a good one). All in the centre of York.

For something different try Vanilla Black. It is vegetarian but in a way you would recognise from any other veg restaurant. Almost as good as J Bakers.

Abdabz 06 December 2007 02:18 PM

[QUOTE=Rannoch;7464677]Rish closed nearly two years ago as it simply was not good enough to keep the punters coming in.

The restaurant that replaced it does not open on Sundays (J Bakers).
QUOTE]
:cry:
I went twice in a week when staying in Yorka while back, once for evening meal (for 2 with a bottle of wine £140:cuckoo: ) and once for lunch. We thought it was excellent, if a little over attentive. The chef they had at the time was superb and of the couple who owned it, the woman was a decent hostess.
The big bald foriegn head waiter bloke was in your face a bit and the hubby owner was a bit smarmy, but if you booked a 7.30 table, you could, without a problem,:luvlove: make a full night of it in there, the decor was good and the location ideal.

Rannoch, I'm dissapointed it's closed now.:cry: When I spoke with the owners they were pushing for their first michelin star and, based on my experience that week, they weren't far off.

Thanks for letting me know though... Next time I go to York, I'll take another recommendation from this thread... :thumb:

Apologies Charles, it's been longer than I realised :freak3:

Enigma 06 December 2007 07:50 PM

The Blue Bicycle, York | Welcome To The Blue Bicycle :thumb:

Charles aka Charlie 06 December 2007 09:43 PM

The Blue Bicycle it is (just booked it).

Cheers for your help :thumb:

falkster 06 December 2007 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Enigma (Post 7465586)

The blue bicycle is fantastic but also consider the Grange in Bootham which is very nice!!

lpski1 06 December 2007 10:42 PM

:Suspiciou errr...why would you ever want to go to York anyway ? let alone eat there, if by some means i had to (at least) pass through, i'd take a sawnie :D

lpski1 06 December 2007 10:57 PM

:D i thought the thread title had New in it, my bad.

who neg'd me, you tosser :mad:

SirFozzalot 07 December 2007 09:54 AM

:lol:

lpski1 07 December 2007 10:02 AM

careful Fozzy, you might get a bad neg :D

SirFozzalot 07 December 2007 11:52 AM

:p :D