ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Tramlining!!!! (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/651750-tramlining.html)

WRX Blues 04 December 2007 05:13 PM

Tramlining!!!!

I need some help! My car (04 WRX PPP) on 18" PFF7's has started tramlining remarkably! Infact, at times it has veered off so strongly that I am losing my nerve driving her!
The car is shod in Pirelli PZero Nero's all round, two of which (the rear) were changed 3 weeks ago. However, the tramlining did not start immediately so not sure if this has anything to do with it?
I have checked tyre pressures (all at 33psi) so not sure if I have a problem or this is just the norm. The fronts are close to needing replacing - is this what is causing the tramlining?
Clues anyone - I am not enjoying the scood experience much at the moment!:wonder:

cster 04 December 2007 05:20 PM

Stick the backs on the front and see if it goes.
In my experience, tramlining increases with low tread.

WRX Blues 04 December 2007 05:24 PM

Thanks mate - will give it a go.

WRX_Dazza 04 December 2007 05:24 PM

change the tyres and get it digitally aligned.

you dont want "near limit" tyres in this weather me old mate, or things will get
more expensive for you....

all the best

evil.soup 04 December 2007 11:29 PM

I had this problem myself when i put 18's on the WRX, new springs and fast road geometry sorted it.
But, iv just changed the wheels again for another set of 18's and the tramlining is back, very strange. The only thing i can think is that maybe the geometry needs updating again??

MaDaSS 04 December 2007 11:34 PM

My car goes mad for tramlining when the fronts are over half worn and gets worse as they get lower in tread. At the moment i am in 'fighting' the wheel mode as i am down to like below 2mm. LOL
Weird.

andythejock01wrx 04 December 2007 11:35 PM

BTW, won't help your tramlining, but putting more air in your front tyres, as the manual suggests, does help the car handle better. 35F, 32R is good.

VanJesin 04 December 2007 11:54 PM

My Sti was tramlining like hell until Last Friday.

I had a new set of F1's fitted and geometery set to Prodrive settings.

I've not feel it 'pull' on the road once since then.

The guy said my front alignment wasnt bad but one of my rear wheels was way out. The fact the front didnt need any (much) adjustment suggests low front tyre tread to be more of a issue in the cause of tramlining, although since I had 2 things done at once its not conclusive.

p.s. Car has alot more front grip now and is therefore more willing for arse out action. :thumb:

GazTheHat 05 December 2007 12:52 PM

When my STi was standard, it tramlined like you're explaining. A complete nightmare. When swapping to 18's and Toyo T1s it completely went.

andyxros 05 December 2007 05:07 PM

mine started to do this a bit ago. put some new f1's on all round had all alinged and they told me the wheel off set is wrong? still dose it on motorway but cornering is lot better (the mechanic drove it and proved it lol) but stil "edgey" to drive it..