ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Electric toothbrush or normal toothbrush? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/651141-electric-toothbrush-or-normal-toothbrush.html)

paulr 01 December 2007 02:34 PM

Electric toothbrush or normal toothbrush?

Hi,

Previously i've always used a normal toothbrush but this week i bought an Oral B professional care toothbrush from Amazon. Is there any evidence that using an electric toothbrush is better for your teeth, what does everyone else use. Any tips or advice. I used it today for the first time and it does feel a bit weird, but my teeth feel really clean.
Can you over-use them?

thanks
Paul.

Dr.No 01 December 2007 02:58 PM

Didn't know there were people still using manual ones....

...been using an Oral B Pro for years, and wouldn't use anything else.

A much better clean than a manual brush - especially the Oral B ones - ask any dentist.

Chris L 01 December 2007 03:12 PM

Spoke to my dentist about this last year - he was all in favour of good quality electric brushes, although he cautioned about spend a fortune on one as he felt the results were less impressive pound for pound (although still considerably better than a traditional brush).

I ended up going for a Philips Sonicare, which is fab. Teeth really do feel much cleaner after using it. It is also timed so that you don't over brush your teeth and cause problems. Replacement heads are quite expensive, but they last for around 6 months or so. Highly recommended.

Chris

corradoboy 01 December 2007 03:18 PM

We use Sonicare and think they're very good. My only gripe is that the batteries only seem to last about s 1/2 years and they're not replaceable :mad:

jaya 01 December 2007 04:09 PM

i looked at them oral b ones yesterday..and why cant they just have an all in one toothbrush..i mean u had different ones..oral b pro white,oral b precision clean,dual clean,vitality sonic,advanced power 900,O M G bb buttt,i just want a toothbrush..so in all the cofusion i still havent bought one,because i aint got a clue what to go for..the power 900 sounds nice though.you could mistaken it for a motorbike..OHHH yea i got me a POWER 900....:notworthy

andythejock01wrx 01 December 2007 04:10 PM

Must confess I still use a manual brush, even though I've heard that leccies are better. My dentists says I'm doing a decent job with the manual. Always buy good ones and take my time.

mart360 01 December 2007 05:29 PM

:D:D:D

dont really care :D i could use a nail brush, and it would do the job just the same :)

Mart

j4ckos mate 01 December 2007 05:40 PM

da ladies like the as well:norty:

pslewis 01 December 2007 05:43 PM

One word of warning .... do not allow the electric brush to move over crowns - the vibrations loosen them and they detach!!

Clean crowns manually!!

hutton_d 01 December 2007 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by pslewis (Post 7452784)
One word of warning .... do not allow the electric brush to move over crowns - the vibrations loosen them and they detach!!

Clean crowns manually!!

That's b*llux! Been doing mine with the electric for years and it's fine. Maybe your dentist used araldite to fix yours in with ..... or maybe you should take yours out of the Steredent glass before brushing .... :D

Dave

pslewis 01 December 2007 05:46 PM

Take my advice or not ...... my experience is that they loosen crowns.

gazza-uk 01 December 2007 05:49 PM

got an oral-b from Arogs last week - awsome and half price too

Buy Oral B Professional Care 8500. at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for .

Aaquil 01 December 2007 10:43 PM

Oral-B toothbrush product are generally very good. The electric brushes by them are recommended by the 'British dental Health Foundation'. Most dentists recommend Oral B Electric toothbrushes. Its the ones i recommend. The replacement heads are where they make the money...shop around you can sometimes get good deals.

paulr 02 December 2007 08:45 AM

One thing i've noticed is the use of the word "Sonic" cleaning. I thought ultrasound were sound waves of a certain frequency. How can a rotating brush create ultrasound and how does this clean your teeth, or is it another use of technical words to market a product.

Brendan Hughes 02 December 2007 11:29 AM

Yeah, and my razor moves a lot slower than Mach 3, too :mad:

I have 3 Oral-Bs - the first one, the family 3D one that I bought when my wife and son moved in, and the 3D complete waterworks kit that was up for half price. Had the first for 10 yrs now (doesn't see much use anymore!) but no battery problems, though I'd be very worried normally; the ?Philips ones that use a standard AA battery seem more sensible.

3D WAY better than the original one.

In answer to the original - told my dentist I'd bought one, he just said an unambiguous "Good!".

Leslie 02 December 2007 11:37 AM

I have had a Sonicare now for over three years. Glad to say it is on its original battery thank goodness.

My Dentist says that since using it my teeth get far less deposits and the 6 monthly hygienist bit is very much quicker. Had no problems with the teeth either. He says the Sonicare is particularly good and worth the high cost.

Les

paulr 02 December 2007 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 7454033)
I have had a Sonicare now for over three years. Glad to say it is on its original battery thank goodness.

My Dentist says that since using it my teeth get far less deposits and the 6 monthly hygienist bit is very much quicker. Had no problems with the teeth either. He says the Sonicare is particularly good and worth the high cost.

Les

But what does sonicare mean and how does it work?