ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   uk turbo (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/650789-uk-turbo.html)

festering 29 November 2007 09:00 PM

uk turbo

this has been bugging me for a while...I bought a car from a mate which is a uk turbo 99,,with a knackered engine..i replaced the engine and fitted the bigger turbo (not standard)to the new engine that was on the old knackered one...well he has been running his standard uk turbo with a bigger turbo and bent to buggery actuater arm and bigger intercooler and full 3inch decat pipe for four years and ragged it but never had it mapped...hows this possible????and hes never had any engine problems with it????The main reason i ask is that imthinking off getting it mapped and he says it aint worth it??what do you all reckon:thumb:

mike799 29 November 2007 09:23 PM

bigger turbo needs mapping to that engine,wouldn't take the chance unless you have money to chuck away:nono:

festering 29 November 2007 09:28 PM

if i was to put a standard tdo4 back on with bigger intercooler bigger pipe (decatted)what roughly would it run like????never driven one???

mike799 29 November 2007 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by festering (Post 7448581)
if i was to put a standard tdo4 back on with bigger intercooler bigger pipe (decatted)what roughly would it run like????never driven one???

if you put car back to standard td04,bigger intercooler with full decat you wouldn't notice alot of difference,remap would certainly put a smile on your face 270-280bhp max:D

festering 29 November 2007 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by mike799 (Post 7448593)
if you put car back to standard td04,bigger intercooler with full decat you wouldn't notice alot of difference,remap would certainly put a smile on your face 270-280bhp max:D

ok so ive got to get it mapped but
:thumb: how does his still go after 4 years of no mapping???

merlin24 29 November 2007 10:42 PM

Most likely on the verge of Detonation/Piston Meltdown/Big End Failure
:eek:

Nick_Cat 30 November 2007 09:00 AM

If I am reading this correctly, wasn't the knackered engine a consequence of ragging a car with bigger turbo and other mods but without a remap:confused: (that's proof enough), or is this a different friend's car?

You do want to do it properly. There are plenty of cars that have had rebuilds because the engine blew up due to poorly thought out modifications. And there are very few people on here that would run a bigger turbo w/o a remap.

Nick

Tidgy 30 November 2007 09:50 AM

if its survived then its just pure dumb luck

Jolly Green Monster 30 November 2007 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Tidgy (Post 7449371)
if its survived then its just pure dumb luck

lmfao!

Tidgy 30 November 2007 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster (Post 7449518)
lmfao!

:D :D :D :D

but to answer your question, yes its worth getting it mapped, although if it aint broke don't move the gaffer tape lol